Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This is a primary, secondary and/or original Eurasiatic research project at Wikiversity.|
구름[edit | edit source]
|Adapted from |
- Toward the etymology of 구름 (gureum, "cloud")
- roll 
- rollen #German 
- to roll
- to thunder 
- grollen #German 
- to rumble, grumble, growl
- to roll, thunder
- grumeln #German (frequentative) 
- to grumble (make a low sound, as of a discontent person, an empty stomach, a distant thunderstorm)
- See also
- 구르다 (gureuda, "to roll" cf. German grollen)
- 우르렁 (ureureong, "grumbling" as of thunder)
- 으르렁 (eureureong, "growling" as of lions )
- 그르렁 (geureureong "gurgling" as of cats )
- You miss a thundercrack here.
- performed by the U.S. Navy Band
- Onomatopoeia reduplicative
- roll (v.)
- "Of sounds (such as thunder) somehow suggestive of a rolling ball, 1590s; of a drum from 1680s."
- The "roll" is what 구르다 is in itself.
- Cognates include Dutch rollen, English roll, etc.
- Der Donner rollt, oder, grollt.
- Cognates include Dutch grollen, English growl, etc.
- Cognates include Dutch gromelen, French grommeler, English grumble, etc.