Gene transcriptions/Elements/Metal responsives
Notation: let the symbol MT stand for metallothionein.
"The metallothionein (MT) genes provide a good example of eucaryotic promoter architecture. MT genes specify the synthesis of low-molecular-weight metal-binding proteins. They are transcriptionally regulated by the metal ions cadmium and zinc (11), glucocorticoid hormones (18), interferon (14), interleukin-1 (22), and tumor promoters (2). The metal ion regulation of MTs is conferred by a short sequence element called the metal-responsive element (MRE ) or TGC box (31, 34), which functions as a metal ion-dependent enhancer."
"The promoter regulatory sequences are identified by homology to published GRE (21), MRE (35), and GC box (15) consensus sequences."
Here "is a consensus sequence for the MREs of the rat MT-1 gene." In the direction of transcription on the DNA template strand: 3'-CNNTGCRCYCGGGNC-5', where R = purine; Y = pyrimidine; and N = any nucleotide (nt).
"[T]hree potential metal response elements (MREs) [overlap] the E-boxes in the repeats, (TGCACGT with TGCRCNC being the consensus sequence; 17,18)."
The reproducible consensus sequence seems to be 3'-TGCRCNC-5', specifically 3'-TGC(A/G)CNC-5'.
- At least two human gene isoforms have their transcription initiated by an MRE.
- Robert D. Andersen, Susan J. Taplitz, Sandy Wong, Greg Bristol, Bill Larkin, and Harvey R. Herschman (October 1987). "Metal-Dependent Binding of a Factor In Vivo to the Metal-Responsive Elements of the Metallothionein 1 Gene Promoter". Molecular and Cellular Biology 7 (10): 3574-81. doi:10.1128/MCB.7.10.3574. http://mcb.asm.org/content/7/10/3574.short. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- Barbara Levinson, Rebecca Conant, Rhonda Schnur, Soma Das, Seymour Packman and Jane Gitschier (1996). "A Repeated Element in the Regulatory Region of the MNK Gene and Its Deletion in A Patient With Occipital Horn Syndrome". Human Molecular Genetics 5 (11): 1737-42. doi:10.1093/hmg/5.11.1737. http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/5/11/1737.full. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- Ginger Lehrman and Ian B Hogue, Sarah Palmer, Cheryl Jennings, Celsa A Spina, Ann Wiegand, Alan L Landay, Robert W Coombs, Douglas D Richman, John W Mellors, John M Coffin, Ronald J Bosch, David M Margolis (August 13, 2005). "Depletion of latent HIV-1 infection in vivo: a proof-of-concept study". Lancet 366 (9485): 549-55. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67098-5. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673605670985. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Bing Advanced search
- GenomeNet KEGG database
- Google Books
- Google scholar Advanced Scholar Search
- Home - Gene - NCBI
- Lycos search
- NCBI All Databases Search
- NCBI Site Search
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information
- PubChem Public Chemical Database
- Questia - The Online Library of Books and Journals
- SAGE journals online
- Scirus for scientific information only advanced search
- Taylor & Francis Online
- WikiDoc The Living Textbook of Medicine
- Wiley Online Library Advanced Search
- Yahoo Advanced Web Search