Welcome to the Exploring Molecular Biology learning project.
Content summary[edit | edit source]
Independent study with group collaboration projects for exploration of the molecular basis of life.
Learning materials and learning projects are located in the main Wikiversity namespace. Simply make a link to the name of the lesson (lessons are independent pages in the main namespace) and start writing!
- Primary Structure - participants explore the relation between gene sequence and protein sequence.
- How to access the genome databases
Lessons[edit | edit source]
- Lesson 1:
- Chemical structure of DNA
- Phosphodiester bonds are formed 5' to 3'
- A pairs with T
- G pairs with C
- Chemical structure of RNA
- Understand the difference between DNA and RNA
- Uracil pairs with Adenine
- Hydroxy group on the 2' carbon
Assignments[edit | edit source]
Activities[edit | edit source]
-Draw Ribose label the 5' (5 prime) carbon and 3' carbon and 2' carbon. -Draw Deoxyribose. label the 5' carbon and 3' carbon -Draw adenine and guanine -Draw cytosine and thymine -Draw Uracil -Draw adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) -Draw
Readings[edit | edit source]
Each activity has a suggested associated background reading selection:
- Wikipedia: Molecular biology
- Wikipedia: DNA
- Wikipedia: Purine
- Wikipedia: Adenine
- Wikipedia: Guanine
- Wikipedia: Pyrimidine
- Wikipedia: Thymine
- Wikipedia: Cytosine
- Wikipedia: RNA
- Wikipedia: Uracil
See also[edit | edit source]
Please place links to external learning resources on this subpage.
- hawaii.edu/~dserghi/BIOL407 (Original link was dead, present link is to archive copy)