Welcome to the Exploring Molecular Biology learning project.
Independent study with group collaboration projects for exploration of the molecular basis of life.
Learning materials and learning projects are located in the main Wikiversity namespace. Simply make a link to the name of the lesson (lessons are independent pages in the main namespace) and start writing!
- Primary Structure - participants explore the relation between gene sequence and protein sequence.
- How to access the genome databases
You should also read about the Wikiversity:Learning model. Lessons should center on learning activities for Wikiversity participants. Learning materials and learning projects can be used by multiple projects. Cooperate with other departments that use the same learning resource.
- Lesson 1:
- Chemical structure of DNA
- Phosphodiester bonds are formed 5' to 3'
- A pairs with T
- G pairs with C
- Chemical structure of RNA
- Understand the difference between DNA and RNA
- Uracil pairs with Adenine
- Hydroxy group on the 2' carbon
-Draw Ribose label the 5' (5 prime) carbon and 3' carbon and 2' carbon. -Draw Deoxyribose. label the 5' carbon and 3' carbon -Draw adenine and guanine -Draw cytosine and thymine -Draw Uracil -Draw adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) -Draw
Each activity has a suggested associated background reading selection:
- Wikipedia: Molecular biology
- Wikipedia: DNA
- Wikipedia: Purine
- Wikipedia: Adenine
- Wikipedia: Guanine
- Wikipedia: Pyrimidine
- Wikipedia: Thymine
- Wikipedia: Cytosine
- Wikipedia: RNA
- Wikipedia: Uracil
Additional helpful readings include:
Please place links to external learning resources on this subpage.
- hawaii.edu/~dserghi/BIOL407 (Original link was dead, present link is to archive copy)