Helping Give Away Psychological Science/Standard Operating Procedures
Overview: Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Instructables[edit | edit source]
We are gathering guidelines, instructions, and "pro tips" how to do many of the HGAPS teams' activities.
Linking them in one place makes them easy to find. Having checklists makes it easier to learn and to do complex tasks consistently. These also make it easier to share skills and ideas across teams and chapters, and they create a resource that others can use in their teaching.
Infographics[edit | edit source]
Wiki SOPs[edit | edit source]
HGAPS works to educate students and professionals on how to use Wikipedia, Wikiversity, and Wikimedia. These include basics about how to navigate and use the different parts of a page, how to create an account and link it to a WikiEducation dashboard or the HGAPS User group, how to cite a Wikipedia page in another paper, how to upload images or figures to WikiMedia Commons, and other topics. Related issues include avoiding plagiarism and close paraphrasing, and what counts as a reliable source on Wikipedia vs. Wikiversity (they are not always the same sources!).
Intermediate skills include making edits on Wikiversity and Wikipedia pages in "mainspace," and tips on how to find pages related to HGAPS or psychology that could use some attention to improve quickly.
Advanced topics will include things such as building new categories, using transclusion, and other "stupid fresh" tricks we learn that would be helpful.
- Learning transclusion and its applications -- an advanced editing tool that lets us link sections of pages so that they update dynamically
- Tips for submitting to the Wiki Journal Article -- tips for submitting work to a Diamond Open Access (no publication fee!, and still no access fee!), peer-reviewed journal
- Wikimedia - adding images, infographics, and other files
- Linking a zip file
- Asking permission to put content on Wiki - reaching out to authors/owners of things that we find on the Web and think would be useful to add
- Adding 'Article Info templates to Wiki articles
- Wikidata Overview
- Wikidata Query Walkthrough
HGAPS SOPs for starting, joining, and running clubs[edit | edit source]
HGAPS is growing rapidly. We work to help new members and new chapters as they join our effort.
Executive[edit | edit source]
- New Chapter Starter Pack
- Executive Board
- Officer Roles
- Social Media
- Recruitment Ideas
Members[edit | edit source]
- New member guide
- Can I get involved as a high schooler?
- How to advance in HGAPS
- HGAPS Chapter Executive Elections
SOP for Partnering with Conferences[edit | edit source]
Assessment Center SOPs[edit | edit source]
HGAPS has an Online Assessment Center on Qualtrics, which is automating the process of taking and scoring some of the best validated free measures. This project is in partnership with several professional societies and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Qualtrics basics
- Making Assessments in Qualtrics
- Checking scoring
- Linking to resources
- Receiving feedback for assessments
- Exporting a survey to import at another site or university
- Putting measures in OSF
- Assessment Center Instructable
SOPs Zotero[edit | edit source]
- Zotero how to get started and store resources (file includes screenshots and annotation)
- How to export from Endnote to Zotero and move PDFs (only for personal libraries or open access versions)
- moving from Zotero into Wikidata
- Zotero vs. Mendeley feature comparison -- courtesy of York University in Canada. This has some tips about interesting features (such as importing YouTube video records into Zotero)