Helping Give Away Psychological Science/Standard Operating Procedures/ Linking Zip Files
Why use zip files?[edit | edit source]
Zip files are efficient storage devices that compress and encrypt data, allowing users to optimize file-transfer. On Wikipedia and Wikiversity, these can be especially useful. Zip files allow linkage not just to singular PDFs, but whole folders in one link.
Dissemination[edit | edit source]
With the proper permissions, zip files can be extremely useful in dissemination. They can be used to store instructables on similar topics, or presentations from conferences (with the presenter's permission, of course).
Linking Zip Files on Wiki[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Navigate to the folder to which you would like to link.
- Download the folder you want to link to as a zip file by clicking button “download as zip”.
- Reupload the folder you just downloaded as a zip file.
- Click on the zip file so that you can see the contents (the contents should not be clickable files, but rather just the file names).
- Click on the “View” button at the top right of your screen.
- Right click on the blue square under the download column.
- Select “copy link address”.
- This is the link you can link to in Wikipedia that, when you click it, will make the file immediately download as a zip file.
See Also[edit | edit source]
- "What is a Zip file & How Does a Zip File Work?". experience.dropbox.com. Retrieved 2022-06-07.