Helping Give Away Psychological Science/Standard Operating Procedures/ Getting Started
Joining the Wikipedia Community with HGAPS[edit | edit source]
Getting Set Up[edit | edit source]
HGAPS has a 13-min why and how-to [video] on our YouTube Channel! This is a great resource to use as an introductory to Wiki!
Here is a step-by-step plan:
- Go to the top right corner of this page, and click “create account” at the top. Fill out your information and follow these instructions.
- Note: Use a username that is familiar to you and by which others may recognize you.
- Go to Wikipedia and log in with your new account.
- Note: Your Wikiversity account should transfer to other Wiki platforms.
- Pro tip: There's a way to build one userpage and have the information on it show up on all the other Wiki platforms, using metawiki.
- Create a user bio. While your Wiki account is transferrable between different platforms, your user bio will not copy over. Instead, you can copy and paste your bios from on platform to the other. Don't worry about making this too flashy yet, you will be doing this later.
- Click your username at the top right of the page.
- Type an introductory bio for yourself. This can include your name, your education, what research you're involved in, and your involvement with HGAPS!
- This is on the internet, so do not put sensitive personal information on the page.
- Anything you are planning on doing with Wiki or related projects is especially relevant.
- You can create your “About me” section modeling it off of these examples:
Follow this link to connect to our dashboard.
- Our HGAPS's WikiEdu dashboard is a way we keep track of all of our editors. To be added to the dashboard, let Dr. Youngstrom know so that he can manually add you.
- Once you're added, you have access to many resources and training for Wiki editing. Complete the 10 assigned modules to stay caught up!
- Goal for 2021: HGAPS can build its own dashboard! We did not subscribe to make a new "course-specific" one in 2021.
Doing Wikipedia Trainings[edit | edit source]
Wikipedia trainings can be helpful in developing basic skills and orienting you to the Wiki space and format. These programs will help you make your first edits. They also help you avoid making some common mistakes!
Finishing these not only gives you some skills and orientation. It also shows good faith and earns you some credit with more experienced editors when you make mistakes.
- The Wikipedia Adventure is one set of trainings. As you go through different exercises, it automatically adds Wing badges to your userpage - like the ones below. (<-- EAY's PSYC 500, do this one!)
- The Wiki Education Foundation has a set of trainings that they offer through their course dashboards. They have updated them and have several sets that may be of interest:
- Doing any of these adds a certificate to your account on the HGAPS Dashboard (whereas the Wikipedia Adventure adds "wings" to your User page)
Wiki Etiquette[edit | edit source]
The page below will be helpful to be familiar with. If you wonder if something is okay on Wiki, check here. Highlights include rules related to conflicts of interest, assuming good faith, how much notability is enough for a page, etc.
Adding Yourself to the Wikimedia User Group[edit | edit source]
Add your account to the HGAPS User Group here.
- Add the following code at the bottom of the list of members, replacing USERNAME with your own username.
- This will show that you are a member of the team -- we have members all around the world, and this is one place where they can all link up.
- It also is a way of sharing with the Wikipedia community (networking!).
Get Some Practice[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes pages will block your edits until you reach 10 total edits
- So, you should make some small edits to get your account confirmed (and look for stubs or other short pages). A great way to reach 10 total edits is to edit your own user page!
- Be on the lookout for formats you’d like to try- the easiest way to use a new technique is to just copy/paste code from one page to yours and repurpose it.
- Some skill guides on Wiki are linked here.
Account Management[edit | edit source]
As a member of HGAPS, you should include checking your Wiki as a part of your routine. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Checking for notifications on your account, including:
- Messages from others users.
- Messages from Wikipedia editors.
- Messages of removal or inquiry.
- Checking what you have edited and created by putting them on your watchlist.
- This will allow you to get updates of major edits on these pages.
- You can do this by clicking the star icon located at the top right of the Wiki page. It should turn blue once it's been added to your watchlist.
- To access your watchlist, click "Watchlist" located at the top right of the browser near your username.
- Staying up to date on trainings and community standards.
Congratulations! Go forth and edit!