Motivation and emotion/Lectures/Nature of emotion
Lecture 07: Nature of emotion
This page is complete for 2019.
This lecture introduces key questions about the psychology of emotion and major theories of emotion.
- Chapter 12: Nature of emotion: Six perennial questions (Reeve, 2018)
This video introduces emotion:
- Feeling All the Feels: Crash Course Psychology #25 (CrashCourse, Youtube) (Watch until 2:00; total 10:50 mins)
An excellent 2 min video explaining emotions and the brain:
- Emotions and the brain (2:02 min video by Sentis)
Paul Ekman explains what emotion is, why we have emotions, and how they can be regulated:
- Paul Ekman 2 of 5 What is an Emotion? (~7 mins by Mind with Heart, 2012)
This video shows the trailer for a TV series about lie detection through analysis of facial expression and body language:
- Lie to me - Promo 2 (2:01 min video about TV series focusing on lie detection through facial expression / body language)
- Lecture slides (Google Slides)
- 2019 handouts:
- Emotion (Tutorial)
- Mindsets, control, & the self (Previous lecture)
- Aspects of emotion (Next lecture)
- Lecture 07 recording (2019)
- Ekman, P. & Cordaro, D. (2011). What is meant by calling emotions basic. Emotion Review, 3, 364-370. https://doi.org/10.1177/1754073911410740.
This video provides a more detailed discussion about how to tell when someone is lying:
- How to spot a liar (Pamela Meyer, TED, 2011, 18:51)