Motivation and emotion/Lectures/Extrinsic motivation and psychological needs
Lecture 04: Extrinsic motivation and psychological needs
The 2017 lecture is complete (there was no live lecture in 2018). The 2019 lecture is in development.
This lecture discusses human motivation in terms of extrinsic motivation, intrinsic motivation, and psychological needs.
This video discusses that most of us thrive by making constant progress and feeling a sense of purpose. Two eye-opening experiments are discussed:
- What makes us feel good about our work? Dan Ariely (TEDx talk, 2013) (20 min; but start at 9:54)
This video explains the psychological ingredients for harnessing motivation in the workplace:
- Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation (RSA Animate) (11 min)
- Lecture slides:
- Brain and physiological needs (Previous lecture)
- Implicit motives and goals (Next lecture)
- Tutorial 2: Needs
- Lecture 04 recording (2017)
- Self-Determination Theory (SDT)
- Renowned Psychologist on How to Generate Intrinsic Motivation - Ed Deci on Inside Quest (Inside Quest, Youtube, 37:00 mins)
- Ed Deci - Inside Questions (Inside Quest, Youtube, 12:33 mins)