Motivation and emotion/Lectures/Growth psychology
Lecture 11: Growth motivation and positive psychology
The 2020 lecture is complete.
The 2021 lecture is in development.
Overview[edit | edit source]
- considers the psychological motivation for personal growth and self-actualisation
- Encouraging growth is more productive than trying to cure weakness
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
- The new era of positive psychology (Martin Seligman, TED/YouTube) (23:45 mins): explains the origins, purpose, and promise of positive psychology.
- Maslow on peak experiences (YouTube) (4:02 mins): an interview with Maslow about his research on peak experiences.
- Viktor Frankl: Search for meaning (YouTube) (4:22 mins): on the importance of meaning in people's lives.
Readings[edit | edit source]
- Chapter 15: Growth motivation and positive psychology (Reeve, 2018)
Slides[edit | edit source]
- Lecture slides
- Growth psychology (Google Slides, 2020)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Positive psychology (Tutorial)
- Eudaimonic well-being (Book chapter, 2011)
- Growth through adversity (Book chapter, 2011)
- Maslow's hierarchy of needs (Book chapter, 2011)
- Mystical experiences and emotion (Book chapter, 2018)
- National and cultural happiness (Book chapter, 2015)
- Peak experiences and emotion (Book chapter, 2019)
- Spiritual motivation (Book chapter, 2010)
- Spiritual and religious motivation (Book chapter, 2011)
- The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions (Book chapter, 2016)
- Trauma recovery and growth (Book chapter, 2011)
Recording[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2000). Positive psychology: An introduction. American Psychologist, 55, 5-14.
Seligman, M. E. P., Rashid, T., & Parks, A. C. (2006). Positive psychotherapy. American Psychologist, 61(8), 774-788.
[edit | edit source]
- Happiness and why we want it - Nancy Etcoff, TED (14:22 mins)