Motivation and emotion/Lectures/Aspects of emotion
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lecture 08: Aspects of emotion
The 2022 lecture is complete.
The 2023 lecture is in development.
Overview[edit | edit source]
- discusses biological, cognitive, and social aspects of emotion
- considers the potential for affective computing
- Biology and cognition work together to generate emotion
- Other people are the source of most of our emotions
Readings[edit | edit source]
- Chapter 13: Aspects of emotion (Reeve, 2018)
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
- Emotions revealed (KQED QUEST, YouTube) (11:24 mins): explains the work of Paul Ekman in codifying the intricate ways in which emotions are revealed through facial expressions.
- Meet Sophia, World's first AI humanoid robot (Tony Robbins, YouTube) (9:55 mins): Tony Robbins interviews an AI robot about life, the universe, and everything.
- Why we can't not smile (YouTube) (2:47 min): Explores the concept of unconscious emotional mimicry in relation to smiling.
Slides[edit | edit source]
- Lecture slides
- Aspects of emotion (Google Slides)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Measuring emotion (Tutorial)
- Facial Action Coding System (Book chapter, 2014)
Recording[edit | edit source]
- Lecture 08 recording (2022)
References[edit | edit source]
Izard, C. E. (2010). The many meanings/aspects of emotion: Definitions, functions, activation, and regulation. Emotion Review, 2(4), 363–370. https://doi.org/10.1177/1754073910374661
[edit | edit source]
- Daniel Goleman introduces emotional intelligence (YouTube; 5:30 mins)
- Emotional intelligence by Daniel Goleman: Animated book summary (YouTube; 7:28 mins)
- In your face (YouTube; Mind Field Ep 7; 24:33 mins)
- Paul Ekman Group (paulekman.com)
- Robots that show emotion (TED talk, 5 mins): explores and demonstrates what is becoming "emotionally" possible for robots.
- Ron Gutman – The hidden power of smiling (TedTalks; 7:26 mins)