Introduction[edit | edit source]
The Makerbot Replicator 2 is a 3D printer that extrudes a biodegradable thermoplastic (PLA) to create parts. This is the older and smaller of two Makerbot 3D printers at HCC, but it prints faster than the newer (5th Gen) model.
Warnings[edit | edit source]
- Printing gun parts violates US Federal Law
- Printing trademarked or actively patented stuff could result in a legal problems
- The school can not support printing personal stuff including personal inventions
- Focus printing on things that are related to engineering projects.
Quick Start Guide[edit | edit source]
- Find or create a 3D model of a part.
- Find an existing 3D model (pre-drawn STL files) at the Smithsonian, thingiverse, and traceparts. 3Dwarehouse and Archive3D models do not convert to STL files consistently without problems. Makerbot needs STL or OBJ files to print from. MakerWare saves files in its own format called THING which can also be printed from.
- Create your own 3D model using a CAD program. For example:Autodesk Inventor,Solid Edge,123D, 3Dtin, Sculptris, tinkercad, openscad, wings3d, pov-ray, Heeks-cad, art of illusion, processing model building library, Google Sketchup.
- convert CAD file to STL:
- click on "I" icon in top left corner
-click on export
- click on CAD format
- select STL from the save as type drop down menu
- Clean up/Repair STL file with Microsoft netfabb
- Use MakerWare software to convert 3D model (STL file) into X3G file.
- Use Makerbot Replicator 2 to print part.
- Carefully remove the part from the build platform.
If you have a problem and don't know what to do, STOP and ask an instructor or lab aide for help.
Detailed Information[edit | edit source]
- Replacing the Tape
- clogged printhead
- Makerware Troubleshooting Page
- Replicator 2 Troubleshooting Page
Quiz[edit | edit source]
quiz - Take this after reading through the tutorial, and before taking the Canvas quiz.
Old pages[edit | edit source]
Replicator 2 MakerBot page
- Printing Instructions
- prints blob
- curling pla
- clean gear mechanism
- assembly of iris box
- How To: Find Or Create A Printable STL File
- stuff to print
- installing Export STL
- clogged printhead
Original MakerBot Cupcake Tutorial Page
- Set Up & Run The MakerBot
- Filament Changing/Troubleshooting
- How to Change the Wire of the Makerbot
- How to Download 3D programs to build STL files
- How to print STL files with letters or Numbers in it
- Tutorial on Blender
- Scanning An Object Using The Kinect: Full 360 Degree View
- Cleaning Up Point Cloud Meshes in Meshlab For 3D Printing
- How to download 123D
- How to format SD card for MakerBot