Religious Studies is an academic field devoted to research into religious beliefs, behaviors, and institutions. It describes, compares, interprets, and explains religion, emphasizing systematic, historically based, and cross-cultural perspectives.
While Theology attempts to understand the transcendent or supernatural according to traditional religious accounts, religious studies takes a more scientific and objective approach independent of any particular religious viewpoint. Religious Studies thus draws upon multiple academic disciplines and methodologies including anthropology, sociology, psychology, philosophy, and history of religion.
See Also[edit | edit source]
This category has the following 11 subcategories, out of 11 total.
- Bahá'í Faith (39 pgs)
- Bible (2 cats, 18 pgs)
- Buddhist Studies (30 pgs)
- Meher Baba Studies (2 pgs)
- New Age Religions (2 cats, 1 pg)
- New religious movements (3 cats, 1 pg)
- Peace studies (3 cats, 58 pgs)
- Religious studies quizzes (empty)
- Religious studies/Lectures (7 pgs)
- Science as religion (3 pgs)
- Scientology (4 pgs)
Pages in category "Religious studies"
The following 47 pages are in this category, out of 47 total.
- Portal:Bible translation
- Bible/King James/Two-source Hypothesis
- Biblical Overview/Course Template (Book)
- Biblical Overview/Course Template (Topical)
- Biblical Overview/Lesson Template
- Portal:Biblical studies
- Biblical Studies/Projects
- Biblical Studies/Revision
- Biblical Survey (literal-normal)
- Peace studies
- Peace studies/Christian fundamentalism
- Peace studies/Islamic fundamentalism
- Peace studies/Modernity and fundamentalism
- Peace studies/Peace in Buddhism
- Peace studies/Peace in Christianity
- Peace studies/Peace in Hinduism
- Peace studies/Peace in Islam
- Peace studies/Peace in Judaism
- Peace studies/Peace in Sikhism
- Peace studies/Peace in the Baha'i Faith
- Peace studies/Religious terrorism
- Peace studies/Shalom
- Psychology of religion