If this resource is ever completed, it will be a universal bibliography. Until then, it will be an approximation of a universal bibliography.
This bibliography is arranged as an index of topics.
Index[edit | edit source]
- Publishers and imprints
- Children's non-fiction
Biographical dictionaries etc[edit | edit source]
- Fox. 'True Biographies of Nations?': The Cultural Journeys of Dictionaries of National Biography. ANU Press. 2019 
- Arthur, "Biographical Dictionaries in the Digital Era". Advancing Digital Humanities: Research, Methods, Theories. 2014. Chapter 6. Page 83 et seq.
Bibliographies, indexes, etc:
- Wynar. ARBA Guide to Biographical Dictionaries. Libraries Unlimited. 1986 
- Slocum, Robert B (ed). Biographical Dictionaries and Related Works. Gale Research Company. 2nd Ed: 1986 
- Biographical Dictionaries Master Index. (Gale Biographical Index Series).   see also 
- Children's Authors and Illustrators: An Index to Biographical Dictionaries. (Gale Biographical Index Series). 2nd Ed: 1978, 3rd Ed: 1981, 4th Ed: 1987   
- Index to the Wilson Authors Series 
- Auchterlonie. Arabic Biographical Dictionaries: A Summary Guide and Bibliography. 1987 
- Black Biographical Dictionaries, 1790-1950 
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography; Dictionary of National Biography
- Boase. Modern English Biography. (editions:uzt3-qMuFcMC)
- A & C Black's Who's Who
- Who Was Who
- The Academic Who's Who. A & C Black. 1st Ed: 1973  . 2nd Ed: 1975. Commentary: . GBooks: editions:INAP7GGD2gYC editions:tA0FkHC75FIC
- Dictionary of Edwardian Biography (Pike's New Century Series)
Works that comprise largely of biographies:
- The Penguin Companion to Literature
Dictionaries of dates[edit | edit source]
- Baxter Dictionary of Dates and Events. 1st Ed: 1963: Napier, M (ed). 2nd Ed: 1971: Sanders and Laffin. Commentary: 92 Library Journal 1819 
- Beeching, Cyril Leslie. A Dictionary of Dates. OUP. 1st Ed: 1993. 2nd Ed: 1997. editions:UGGp0EexZdcC
- Bolton, John. Bolton's Dictionary of Dates, arranged in alphabetical order. Foulsham. 1958. Review: 172 The Publisher 880
- William Young Darling. A Book of Days: A Dictionary of Dates, a Chronology of Circumstance, the Face of Time. Richards Press. 1951. 
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates. 1st Ed: 1911. 6th Ed: 1971. Review: (1971) 11 RQ 164 
- Platt, Charles. Foulsham's Dictionary of Dates and General Information. 1930.
- Haydn's Dictionary of Dates
- Hamlyn Dictionary of Dates and Anniversaries. Newnes Dictionary of Dates.
- Williams, Henry Llewellyn. Hurst's Dictionary of Dates. 1891. 
- Keller, Helen Rex. The Dictionary of Dates. Macmillan. 1934. Commentary:  
- Nelson's Dictionary of Dates. A Dictionary of Dates. (Nelson's Encyclopaedic Library). 1912 . Reviews: (June 1912) Journal of Education, vol 34 (New Series), vol 44 (Old Series), p 392 ; (1912) 108 The Spectator 805 (18 May)
- Pulman, George Palmer. The World's Progress: A Dictionary of Dates. New York. 1861. 
- Urdang, Laurence. The World Almanac Dictionary of Dates. Longman. 1982.  Review: (1982) 22 RQ 101 
- John Henniker Heaton. Australian Dictionary of Dates and Men of the Time. 1879. 
- John James Knight. In the Early Days; History and Incident of Pioneer Queensland, with Dictionary of Dates in Chronological Order. Sapsford & Co. Brisbane. 1895.
- Damon, Charles Ripley. The American Dictionary of Dates, 458-1920. R G Badger. 1921.
Commodity dictionaries[edit | edit source]
- Statistical Classification of Domestic and Foreign Commodities Exported from the United States. Commentary:  
- Tovarnyi slovar'. (Commodity Dictionary). Reviews and commentary: Petrov, "Commodity Dictionary", Ekonomicheskaya Gazeta, No 13, 30 October 1961, p 45; CDSP , 13 December 1961, p 46; (1962) 13 Current Digest of the Soviet Press 47; (1958) 15 Quarterly Journal of Current Acquisitions 210  ; Fitzpatrick, Stalinism: New Directions, p 182 & 183
- Szilágyi. Commodity Dictionary in Five Languages. Budapest. Közgazdasági és Jogi Könyvkiadó (Publishing House for Economics and Law). 1963 or 1964. Commentary: Books from Hungary, vols 4-6, pp 26 & 40 
- Dictionnaire des produits: appellations et caractéristiques des produits francais de consommation courante, 1960. Commentary: Walford (ed), Guide to Reference Material Supplement, 1963, p 106 
- Chūgoku Shōhin Jiten. (Chinese commodity dictionary). Tokyo. 1960. 
Encyclopedias[edit | edit source]
- Paton, John (ed). Knowledge Encyclopedia: 1979, 1981, 1988. New Discovery Encyclopedia: 1990.
- The Dorling Kindersley Illustrated Family Encyclopedia
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Gazeteer of Canada. Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names. Canadian Board on Geographical Names. Department of Mines and Technical Surveys. 
- Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America.  Reviews:  . Commentary: .
- Durham, David L. California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Word Dancer Press. Quill Driver Books. 1998. . Reviews: Rosen (1999) 78 California History 205. (1999) 37 Choice 117 (No 1, September).
- Gazetteer of the Mountains of the State of New York 
Almanacs[edit | edit source]
- Year Book and Almanac of Newfoundland.
- For 1896. 1895. 
Censuses[edit | edit source]
- Census of New Zealand and Labrador
Pilot guides[edit | edit source]
- Sailing Directions: Newfoundland. Canadian Hydrographic Service. 
- Newfoundland Pilot. Canadian Hydrographic Service. 
- Maxwell. The Newfoundland Pilot. Hydrographic Office, Admiralty. London. 1878. 
- Newfoundland Pilot. HO No 73. Hydrographic Office. Governement Printing Office, Washington. 4th Ed: 1919: . Sailing Directions for Newfoundland. 5th Ed: 1931: 
Books of facts[edit | edit source]
- The Reader's Digest Book of Facts. 1st Ed: 1985. Reprinted with amendments: 1987: . (Review: Library Journal, v 9, p 102, 1 Dec 1987, Book Verdict.) 3rd Revised Ed: 1995: . GBooks: editions:nnJlLybWxbIC
- Chambers Book of Facts
- Crystal, David (ed). Penguin Book of Facts. 2004. 2nd Ed: 2008
- Handy Book of Facts: Things Everyone Should Know. C.S. Hammond & Company. 1914. 
Series of books[edit | edit source]
- George M Sinkankas, "Series" in Kent, Lancour and Daily (eds). Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science. Volume 27. Marcel Dekker. 1979. Pages 250 to 273.
- "Publishing in Series, 1896-1916" in Eliot, Simon (ed). History of Oxford University Press. Louis, Wm Roger (ed). Volume 3: 1896-1970. Oxford University Press. 2013. Page 539 et seq.
- Spiers, John. The Culture of the Publisher’s Series. Palgrave Macmillan. 2011. vol 1. vol 2.
- Spiers, John. Serious about Series: American 'Cheap' Libraries, British 'Railway' Libraries and Some Literary Series of the 1890's. 2007.  
- Rooney, Paul Raphael. Railway Reading and Late-Victorian Literary Series. Routledge. 2018. 
- Khan. "Monographs in series". The Principles and Practice of Library Science. 1996. Pages 207 to 209.
- Friskney. New Canadian Library: The Ross-McClelland Years, 1952-1978. Pages 6 and 7.
- Books in Series. R R Bowker Company. Commentary: 
- Books in Series in the United States, 1966-1975. R R Bowker. 1977. Review: (1977) 14 Choice 1190 (No 8, November). Commentary: 
- Books in Series Supplement: A Supplement to Books in Series in the United States, 1966-1975. 1978. 
- Books in Series. 3rd Ed. 1980. 
- Books in Series, 1876-1949. R R Bowker Company. 1982.   
- Books in Series, 1985-89. 
- Books in Series in the United States, 1966-1975. R R Bowker. 1977. Review: (1977) 14 Choice 1190 (No 8, November). Commentary: 
- Baer, Eleanora Agnes. Titles in Series: A Handbook for Librarians and Students. Scarecrow Press. Vol 1 (Books Published Prior to January 1953). 1953: . Vol 2 (Books Published Prior to January 1957). 1957: 
- Ocran, Emmanuel Benjamin. Scientific & Technical Series: A Select Bibliography. 1973:  Review: 
- Rosenberg and Nichols. Young People's Books in Series: Fiction and Non-fiction, 1975-1991. Libraries Unlimited. 1992. 
- Young People's Literature in Series
- Catalog of Reprints in Series. (sometimes called "Catalogue of Reprints in Series"). 1940 onwards.   Commentary:  
- Kuitert, Lisa. Het ene boek in vele delen. De Uitgave van Literaire Series in Nederland 1850-1900. Uitgeverij de Buitenkant. Amsterdam. 1993. Commentary:    
Series of classics[edit | edit source]
- Penguin Classics (Penguin Modern Classics, Penguin English Library)
- Oxford World Classics
- Everyman's Library
- Wordsworth Classics
- Macmillan Collectors Library
- Bantam Classics
- Minster Classics
- The Literary Heritage Collection (Heron Books, London. William Collins Sons & Co, Glasgow)
- Chandos Classics
- Temple Classics
- Longmans Heritage of Literature Series
- Greatest Masterpieces of Russian Literature (Heron Books, London)
- Corgi SF Collectors Library
Children's and shorter classics etc
- Shorter Classics. Ginn and Company.
- Ladybird Children's Classics.
- Mini Classics. Parragon Books.
- Bonny Books. Peter Haddock Ltd.
- A series published by Dean & Son Ltd
Non-fiction general series[edit | edit source]
- Oxford Companions
- Cambridge Companions
- Princeton Companions
- Blackwell Companions. Wiley Blackwell Companions
- Routledge Companions. Routledge Research Companions
- Ashgate Companions. Ashgate Research Companions
- Brill's Companions
- Facts on File Companions
- Guides to Information Sources. Bowker-Saur
- Butterworths Guides to Information Sources.
- Columbia Guides
- Blackwell Guides
- Edinburgh Critical Guides
- Collins Reference Dictionaries
- New Horizons. Thames and Hudson. (Découvertes Gallimard)
- Collins Gem (see w:List of Collins GEM books)
- Concise Encyclopedias. Collins.
- Time Life Books (see w:Time Life#Book series)
- Teach Yourself Books. English Universities Press.
- Teach Yourself Books. Hodder and Stoughton.
- Made Simple Books. W H Allen.
- Palgrave Master Series
- Harrap's Mini Series
- Shire Albums. Shire Publications.
- Fax Pax: Knowledge in a Nutshell. Fax Pax Ltd.
- The Wonderful World Books. Macdonald and Company
- Harper's ABC series. Includes A-B-C of Housekeeping, A-B-C of Electricity, A-B-C of Gardening and A-B-C of Manners.
- Hamlyn Pocket Guides
- Oxford Monograph Series
- Study Outline Series. H W Wilson. (wikisource)
- Helpmate Handbooks. Willow Books
- University Paperbacks. Meuthen & Co
- World Student Series. Addison Wesley
- Unibooks. Hodder and Stoughton
- International Student Editions. Van Nostrand Reinhold
- Hutchinson University Library
- Pelican Books
- Salmon Cameracolour series
- Pitkin Pictorials
- Aspects of Britain. HMSO.
- Movements in World Art. Meuthen.
- Movements in Modern Art. Meuthen.
- How to Draw and Paint. New Burlington.
- BFI Companions
- Contemporary Science Paperbacks. Oliver and Boyd.
- Pan Piper Science Series
Science and mathematics
- Simon and Schuster Tech Outlines
- Schaum's Outline Series
- Illustrated Military Guides. Illustrated Guides. "An Illustrated Guide to ...". Salamander Books.
- Combat Arms. Arco Military Books. Salamander Books. Prentice Hall Press.
- Osprey Men-at-Arms
- Jane's Pocket Books
- The Library of Communication Techniques. Focal Press.
- John Fiske (ed). Studies in Culture and Communication. Routledge.
- The Media. Wayland.
- ABC series. Peter Pauper Press.
- Pan Piper Small Gardens Series.
- Series on mythology published by Southwater (imprint of Anness)
History and Geography[edit | edit source]
- Baker. Geography and History: Bridging the Divide. 2003. 
- Darby. Relations of History and Geography: Studies in England, France and the United States. 2002. 
- Cambridge Studies in Historical Geography
- The Times Atlas of World History
- Philip's Atlas of World History
History of geography:
- Dunbar, Gary S. The History of Modern Geography: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works. Garland. 1985. 
Chronology[edit | edit source]
- Chronology of the 20th Century. Helicon. 1995. 
- Brownstone and Franck. Timelines of the 20th Century. 
- Beal. 20th Century Timeline. 1985. 
- 20th Century Day by Day  
- Chronicle of the 20th Century  
- Boyle. The Chronology of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries. 1826. 
- Brown, D Kinnear. History of the Year. (1884 to 1885). Catalogue.
- The History of the Year: A Narrative of the Chief Events and Topics of Interest. 1881 to 1882. 1882 to 1883.
- James Mason. The History of the Year 1876. 
- The Annual Register. [A View of the History Politics and Literature of the Year YYYY.] 1821.
- Giusto Traina. 428AD: An Ordinary Year at the End of the Roman Empire. 
Egyptology[edit | edit source]
Mesoamerica[edit | edit source]
- James. Aztecs & Maya: The Ancient Peoples of Middle America. Tempus. 2001. 2005. History Press. 2009. Reviews: "Books Received" (2003) 14 Minerva 57 (No 1); and "Overviews for the general reader" (2002) 76 Antiquity 252.
- Weaver. The Aztecs, Maya, and Their Predecessors. 1972. 2nd Ed: 1981:  
Accounting[edit | edit source]
- The Accountant (1874 onwards)
- Accountant's Magazine (1897 onwards) Aberdeen
Arts[edit | edit source]
- Murray (ed).The Hutchinson Dictionary of the Arts. Helicon Publishing. 1994. Paperback Ed: 1995. Reprinted 1997.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- Parke. Biography: Writing Lives. 2002 
- Caine. Biography and History. (Theory and History). 1st Ed: 2010, 2nd Ed: 2019 
Information technology[edit | edit source]
- Haynes, David (ed). Information Sources in Information Technology. (Guides to Information Sources). Bowker Saur. 1990. 
Economics[edit | edit source]
- Dryden Press Series in Economics
- Hurl, Bryan (ed). Studies in the UK Economy. Heinemann Educational
- Nuffield Economics & Business. Nuffield Foundation. Longman.
- Bannock, Baxter and Davis. The Penguin Dictionary of Economics. Penguin Books. 4th Ed: 1987. Bannock, Baxter and Rees. 1972. 2nd Ed: 1978. 3rd Ed: 1984.
- Begg, Fischer and Dornbusch. Economics. McGraw Hill. 1984. 2nd Ed: 1987. 3rd Ed: 1991.
- Anderton, Alain. Economics. Causeway Press. 1991.
- Maile, Roger. Economics. (Core Business Studies). Mitchell Beazly. 1983.
- Maunder, Myers, Wall and Miller. Economics Explained. Collins Educational. 1987. 2nd Ed: 1991.
- Tibbitt, Andrew. A guide to A Level Economics. Thomas Nelson and Sons. 1986.
- Lipsey, Richard G. An Introduction to Positive Economics. Weidenfeld and Nicolson. 1963. 2nd Ed: 1966. 3rd Ed: 1971. 4th Ed: 1975. 5th Ed: 1979. 6th Ed: 1983. 7th Ed: 1989.
- Nicolson, Walter. Microeconomic Theory: Basic Principles and Extensions. (Dryden Press Series in Economics). Dryden Press, Holt-Saunders. 3rd Ed: 1985.
- Caves and Jones. World Trade and Payments: An Introduction. Little, Brown and Company. 1973. 1977. 3rd Ed: 1981.
- National Institute of Economic and Social Research. The UK economy. (Studies in the UK Economy). Heinemann Educational. 1990.
- Smith, Charles. UK trade and sterling. (Studies in the UK Economy). Heinemann Educational. 1992.
Games[edit | edit source]
- Hooper and Whyld. The Oxford Companion to Chess. Oxford University Press. 1984. Paperback: 1987.
- Golombek, Harry. The Game of Chess. 1954. 2nd Ed: 1963. 3rd Ed: 1980.
- Pritchard, D. Brine. The Right Way to Play Chess. 1950. 8th Ed: 1971. 10th Ed: 1974. 11th Ed: 1977.
- Horowitz, Al. From Morphy to Fischer: A history of the World Chess Championship. B T Batsford. 1973. The World Chess Championship: A History. Macmillan. 1973.
- Batsford Chess Books
- Discovering Chess Series. B T Batsford.
- British Chess Magazine
Geology[edit | edit source]
- Read and Watson. Introduction to Geology. Macmillan Education. 1962. 2nd Ed: 1968. Volume 1: Principles. Volume 2: Earth History.
Mineralogy[edit | edit source]
- Bibliography of Mineralogy for 1886. Annual Report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Year Ending 30 June 1887. 1889. Pages 473 to 476.
- Battey, Maurice Hugh. Mineralogy for students. Oliver & Boyd. 1972. 2nd Ed. Longman. 1981.
Paper[edit | edit source]
- Surface. Bibliography of the Pulp and Paper Industries. Forest Service. Bulletin 123. 1913. 
- West. Reading List on Papermaking Materials. 1920 to 1921.  
Books[edit | edit source]
- British Book News 
- Australasian Book News and Literary Journal. Australasian Book News and Library Journal. 
- Book News. 1882 to 1918. (John Wanamaker). Called "Book News Monthly" from 1906. 
- Stechert-Hafner Book News 
- U.S.A. Book News 
- Branch Library Book News. 
- Miniature Book News. 
- Berger. Rare Books and Special Collections. American Library Association. 2014. 
Paperback and Paperbound[edit | edit source]
- Swados, "Paper Books: What do they Promise?" (1953) 173 The Nation 114
- Wagman, "The Paperbound Book Business" (1957) 9 Michigan Business Review 9 (No 5, November)
Science[edit | edit source]
- Lafferty and Rowe. The Hutchinson Dictionary of Science. Helicon Publishing. 1993. 2nd Ed: 1998.
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- See w:Bibliography.