This page is part of an incomplete pan-jurisdictional bibliography of law. This page is an index of legal topics. There is also an index of authors.
This page is now part of the Universal Bibliography.
Bibliographies and other works containing bibliographic information[edit | edit source]
- Pagel, Scott B (Editor). The Legal Bibliography: Tradition, Transitions and Trends. The Haworth Press. 1989. ISBN 0-86656-932-4. Google Books.
- Winfield, Percy H. "Some Bibliographical Difficulties of English Law" (1914) 30 LQR 190.
- Winfield, Percy H. "The Chief Sources of English Legal History", Harvard University Press, 1925
- Hoffman, David. A Course of Legal Study: Addressed to Students and the Profession Generally. Second Edition. Joseph Neal. Baltimore. 1836. Volume 2. Google books
- Friend, William Lawrence. Anglo-American Legal Bibliographies: An Annotated Guide. United States Government Printing Office. Washington DC. 1944.
- Bridgman. A Short View of Legal Bibliography. 1807.
- Worall. Bibliotheca legum Angliae. 1756. (Part II by Edward Brooke, 1788).
- Reed. Bibliotheca nova legum Angliae. 1809.
- Clarke's Bibliotheca Legum. 1810. 1815. 1819. 1835.
- "Of Books of Reports, and Treatises on English". Kent's Commentaries. Volume 1. Pages 471 to 514.
- Gibbs Judicial Chronicle.
- Brunner's Sources of English Law.
- Maitland's Materials for the History of English Law
- Soule's Year Book Bibliography 
- Thomas Ashe's Promptuary
- The list of texts at the front of Pollock and Maitland's History of English Law
- Reeve's History of English Law
- The appendices to the reports of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts
- Scargill-Bird's Guide to the Public Records
- Jenk's Sources of Medieval European Law
- Soule, C C. The Lawyer's Reference Manual of Law Books and Citations. 1883   . 1884 . Abbreviations used in law books.
- Cowley, J D. Bibliography of Abridgments, Digests, Indexes and Dictionaries of English Law to the Year 1800. Selden Society. 1932.
- Beale. Bibliography of Early English Law Books. 1926. Supplement: 1943.
- Bowker's Law Books & Serials in Print.
- International Legal Books in Print
- Logan. Information Sources in Law. 1986. Winterton and Moys. Second Edition. 1997.
- Ringrose, C W. Where to Look for Your Law. 14th ed. Sweet & Maxwell. London. 1962.
- A Bibliographical Guide to the Law of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man
- Law Books in Print
- Law Books Published
- How to Use a Law Library
- Clinch, Using a Law Library: A Students Guide to Legal Research Skills
- Holborn, Legal Research Guide
- Legal Resources at Oxford University
- John A Alford and Dennis P Seniff. Literature and Law in the Middle Ages: A Bibliography of Scholarship. Volume 378 of the Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Garland Publishing Inc. London and New York. 1984. ISBN 0 8240 9211 2.
- Shapiro, "The Most‐Cited Legal Books Published since 1978" (2000) 29 The Journal of Legal Studies 397 
- Hendrickson. Practitioners' Manual of Legal Bibliography. 1910. 
- Hicks. Aids to the Study and Use of Law Books. 1913.   
- Maxwell and Brown. A Complete List of British and Colonial Law Reports and Legal Periodicals. Third Edition. 1937. Reprint. 1913 edition.
- Eugene M Wypyski and Daniel L May. Legal Periodicals in English. Glanville Publishers. 1976 onwards.  Index
- Georgetown Law Library. Research Guides.
- Beem. An Introduction to Legal Bibliography for the Non- Professional Student. 1960. 
- Chipman. An Index to Legal Periodical Literature. Boston. 1919. Vol 2. Vol 3:  
- Harry E Griswold. Catalogue of Law Books. 1897
- Legal Materials in Microform: A Selected Bibliography
- "XIII Legal Literature" in The Cambridge History of English and American Literature. 1907-1921. Volume 8 (The Age of Dryden). Bartleby
- Sylvio Normand, "Legal Publishing in Quebec" in History of the Book in Canada, University of Toronto Press, 2005, vol 2 (1840-1918), p 414
- Borchard. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Germany. 1912. 
- Palmer. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Spain. 1915. 
- Borchard. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Argentina, Brazil and Chile. 1917. 
- Helen Lord Clagett. A Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Bolivia. Library of Congress. Washington. 1947. (Latin American series, no 12). HathiTrust. Google Books:   . Reprinted by Gordon Press, New York, 1981.
- Helen Lord Clagett. A Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Peru. Library of Congress. Washington. 1947. HathiTrust
- David M Valderrama. Law & Legal Literature of Peru: A Revised Guide. Second Edition. (Latin American series, volume 39). Library of Congress. US Government Printing Office. Washington. 1976. HathiTrust Google Books
Law library catalogues
- Catalogue of the Library of the Inner Temple. 1806. 1821. 1833. 1843.
- Catalogue of the Library of Gray's Inn. Edition: 1872. Supplements: 1874, 1878, 1888, 1906.
- Catalogue of the Library of Lincoln's Inn. 1835. 1859.
- Catalogue of the Library of the College of Advocates in Doctors' Commons. London. 1818. 1827. 1848. 1856. 1858. 1861.
- Catalogue of the Library of the Law Society. Editions: 1841, 1851, 1869, 1891, 1906. Supplements: 1894, 1898.
- A Catalogue of the Law Books in the Advocates Library. 1831. 
- Catalogue of the Library of the Law School of Harvard University. 1909.
- Catalogue of the Books of the Manchester Law Library Society. 1860. 1881. 
- McAlpine. A Catalogue of the Law Library at Hartwell House, Buckinghamshire. 1865 
- Catalogue of the San Francisco Law Library. 1888. 
- Montana Law Library Catalogue
- Catalogue of Los Angeles County Law Library
- Catalogue of the Indiana State Law Library
- Catalogue of the Library of the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Catalogue of the Law Library of Berks County
- Catalogue of the Law Library of the Louisiana Bar Association, at New Orleans
- Catalogue of the Law Library of the Equitable Life Assurance Society
- Catalogue of the New York State Library: Law Library
- Catalogue of the Books in the Law Library of the United States Patent Office
- A Catalogue of the Social Law Library in Boston
- A Descriptive Catalogue of the Books in the Library of the Law Library Association of Saint Louis
- Catalogue of the Library of the New York Law Institute
- Stevens and Sons. A Catalogue of Modern Law Books. 1848 . 1864 . No 9: 1869 . No 11: 1871 
- Butterworths General Catalogue of Law Books. 1850. 
- Maxwell's Catalogue of Law Books. 1826. 
Periodicals about law librarianship and legal bibliography
- Law Library Journal (1908 onwards) AALL
- The Law Librarian (1970 onwards) BIALL
- Canadian Law Libraries (1990 onwards)
- International Journal of Law Libraries (1973 to 1981) 
- Legal Reference Services Quarterly (1981 onwards)
- International Journal of Legal Information (1982 onwards)
- Legal Bibliography (1881 to 1913)
- Law Book News (2 volumes, January 1894 to December 1895) West. V1 V2. Review: 3 Michigan Law Journal 78
- New York Law Book News (1926)
- Legal Literature (1899 to 1911) London, 22 issues
- Law Book News (October 1888 to November 1890) Philadelphia, 4 issues
Works containing discussion of the contents, merits, etc., of some or all of the publications they list
- Marvin's Legal Bibliography. 1847.
- Jelf. Where to Find Your Law.
- English Legal History. Duke University.
- Article and Book Bibliography. Boston University.
- Glanville williams. Learning the Law.
- Julius J Marke. A Catalogue of the Law Collection at New York University. New York University. 1953. Lawbook Exchange. 1999 reprint. (Google Books)
- Practitioners Law Library 1978: Books for the Professions: Sweet & Maxwell Stevens. Published by Taylor & Francis. (Google Books).
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law.
- Raistrick, Donald. Lawyers' Law Books: A Practical Index to Legal Literature. Third Edition. Bowker-Saur. 1997.
- William Donald Hines (editor). English Legal History: A Bibliography and Guide to the Literature. Volume 1011 of Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Garland Publishing Inc. 1990. ISBN 0 8240 4299 9.
- Leslie F Maxwell et al. A Legal Bibliography of the British Commonwealth of Nations. Second Edition. Sweet & Mawxwell. Vols 1 - 6. London. 1955 - 1958. Sweet & Maxwell's Legal Bibliography. First Edition. 7 vols. London. 1925 - 1949.
- O Hood Phillips. A First Book of English Law. Fourth Edition. Sweet & Maxwell. 1960. Part II and particularly Chapters 9, 12 and 14.
- Appendix III to "How to do Things with Rules" (3 ed) by Twining and Miers
- "Further Reading" - Colin Turpin. British Government and the Constitution (2 ed). Weidenfeld and Nicolson. London. 1990. pp 572 - 575.
Catalogues, etc., which do not provide commentary on the publications they list
Encylopedias[edit | edit source]
See w:List of encyclopedias by branch of knowledge#Law and w:Category:Encyclopedias of law. General encyclopedias may be relevant; see w:List of encyclopedias.
- Green's Encyclopaedia of the Law of Scotland 
- Adams, Ernest Claude (ed). New Zealand Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents. (New Zealand Encyclopaedia of Forms and Precedents other than Court Forms). 1963 to 1968. See  NZLJ 243 to 244. As to Adams, see 
Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
Quotations[edit | edit source]
- Norton-Kyshe. The Dictionary of Legal Quotations. 1904.
- McNamara. Ragbag of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- Cook. A Treasury of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- James and Stebbings. A Dictionary of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- Shapiro. The Oxford Dictionary of American Legal Quotations. Reviews:  
Journals[edit | edit source]
- The Law Times
- The Law Journal
- The Law Magazine
- The Law Review
- The Jurist
- The Legal Observer
- The Solicitor: A Journal for Solicitors and their Managing Clerks (Pitman, 1934 to 1961) also called "The Solicitor: A Monthly Journal for . . . "  
- The Solicitor Quarterly (Pitman, 1962 to 1965) 
- Law Notes (from 1882 onwards). Formerly 'Gibson's Law Notes'.
- King's Counsel (King's College London, 1936 to 1989) v33
- The Bell Yard: The Journal of the Law Society's School of Law (Solicitors' Law Stationery Society, 1927 to 1939)  . Reviews etc, see: (1928) 72 SJ 473; 47 Law Notes 28 and 61; (1930) 169 Law Times 195; (1931) 172 Law Times 470; (1928) 65 Law Journal 9
- The Law Coach (1920 to 1928) 
- Law Students Journal (from 1878 onwards)
- Law Examination Journal 
- Council of Legal Education, "Calendar" (1901 onwards) 1950-1
- Pump Court: The Temple Newspaper and Review (1883 to 1891) 
- Graya: A Magazine for Members of Gray's Inn (1927 onwards) . Review: (1928) 72 SJ 777 (17 Nov)
- Innerview (Newsletter of the Inner Temple)
- Inner Temple Library Newsletter
- The Middle Templar (Middle Templar Magazine) (Middle Temple)
- Municipal Corporations Circular (from 1878 onwards)
- Local Government Chronicle (1855 onwards)
- Mitchell's Maritime Register (1856-1883)
- Maritime Notes and Queries (1873-1900)  
- Law Chronicle and Auction Register (1813-1837)
- Legal Practitioner (1846-1851) 
- Legal Year Book (1849-1851) See 35 Leg Obs 138 and 339
- Legal News (1878-1897)
- South African Law Journal (vols 1 to 17 from 1885 to 1900 are called 'Cape Law Journal')
- Union Law Review (1910 to 1911) v1 v2
- Natal Law Quarterly (1902 to 1907) v2
- Queensland Justice of the Peace (1907 onwards)  
- Queensland Law Reporter (1908 onwards) 
- Australian Law Times and Notes of Cases (1879-1928)
- Commonwealth Law Review (1903 to 1909) 
- Victorian Law Times and Legal Observer (1856)
Sources of law[edit | edit source]
Legislation[edit | edit source]
Law reports[edit | edit source]
Citators, digests, lists of cases
- Current Law Citator
- The Digest (formerly the English and Empire Digest)
- Mew's Digest
Many law books contain a table of cases referred to in the volume.
General[edit | edit source]
- Lawyer's Annual Library. Commentary: 
Series of treatises:
- The Common Law Library. Sweet & Maxwell 
- McCrudden, Stevens and Twining (eds). Law in Context. Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
- Practical Text Series. Northumbria Law Press.
- Butterworths Standard New Zealand Textbooks. (Butterworths Standard N. Z. Textbooks). 
Australia and New Zealand
- Butterworths Student Companion Series . Review: 
- Butterworths ' Student Companions. Commentary: 
Comparative law[edit | edit source]
- Smits (ed). Elgar Encyclopedia of Comparative Law. 1st Ed: 2006: . 2nd Ed: 2012: .
- International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law. 
- Volume 1. National Reports. "S":  (countries beginning with "S"). "U": .
- Volume 2. The Legal Systems of the World: Their Comparison and Unification. 
- Vol 3:   . Vol 7:    . Vol 8:  . Vol 10: . Vol 11:   . Vol 12: . Vol 13: . Vol 14: . Vol 15:  . Vol 16: .
- Henneberry (ed). Law and Judicial Systems of Nations. World Jurist Association. 4th Ed: 2002. 
- Holland and Garth. Legal Systems of the World: A Political, Social, and Cultural Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. 2002. 
- Kenneth Robert Redden and William Emerson Brock. Modern Legal Systems Cyclopedia. W S Hein. 1984. 
- David and Brierly. Major Legal Systems in the World Today: An Introduction to the Comparative Study of Law. The Free Press. 2nd Ed: 1978. 
- Wigmore, John Henry. A Panorama of the World's Legal Systems. West Publishing Company. 1928. 
- Newman (ed). Crime and Punishment around the World. ABC-CLIO. 2010. 
- Equity in the World's Legal Systems: A Comparative Study. 1973. 
Criminal law[edit | edit source]
- Archbold Criminal Pleading, Evidence and Practice
- Stone's Justices' Manual
- Blackstone's Criminal Practice
- Archbold Magistrates' Courts
- Blackstone's Magistrates' Courts
- Russell on Crime
- Burns. Justice of the Peace.
- Smith and Hogan's Criminal Law (now by Ormerod)
- Card, Cross and Jones: Criminal Law
Offences against the person
- Fourteenth Report of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
Offences against property
- Eighth and Thirteenth Reports of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
- Griew, The Theft Acts 1968 and 1978
- Fifthteenth Report of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
- Rook and Ward on Sexual Offences
- James Joseph Casey. The Justices' Manual, with the Justices Statute and Notes thereon. Charles F Maxwell. Melbourne. 1872. "Review" (1872) 3 Australian Jurist lix (3 December, No 16)
Tort[edit | edit source]
- Clerk and Lindsell on Torts. 12th Ed: 1961  , 14th Ed: 1975, 17th Ed:1995, 2nd Supp 1998, 22nd Ed
- Winfield and Jolowicz on Tort
- Salmond and Heuston on the Law of Torts
- Street on Torts
- Pollock on Torts
- Williams and Hepple. Foundations of the Law of Tort
- Prosser. Law of Torts
- Furmston. The Law of Tort
- Fleming. The Law of Torts
- Dias and Markesinis. Tort Law
- Jones. Textbook on Torts
- Blackburn and George. Elements of the Law of Torts. 1944
- Addison on Torts. 6th Ed, 1891. 5th Ed, 1879. 2nd Ed, Abridged, 1872. American editions: Dudley and Baylies, 1876; Wood, 1876
- Underhill's Law of Torts. 16th Ed, 1949; 3rd Ed, 1881
- Cooley. A Treatise on the Law of Torts. 4th Ed, 1932. 1879.
- Burdick. The Law of Torts. 1st Ed: 1905, 2nd: 1908, 3rd Ed: 1913, 4th Ed: 1926
- Ringwood's Outlines of the Law of Torts. 2nd Ed: 1894, 3rd Ed: 1898, 4th Ed: 1906, 5th Ed: 1926
- Bohlen. Studies in the Law of Torts. 1926
- Bigelow.The Law of Torts. 1882. 8th Ed, Boston, 1907. 2nd Ed, Cambridge, 1903
- Hilliard. The Law of Torts. 2nd Ed, 1873. 1859. 1861
- Weir. A Casebook on Tort
- Hepple and Matthews. Tort: Cases and Materials
- Ball. Leading Cases on the Law of Torts. Stevens. 1884. Review: 1 LQR 121
- Bigelow. Leading Cases on the Law of Torts. 1875
- Selected Essays on the Law of Torts. 1924
- Hilliard. The Law of Remedies for Torts. 4th Ed, 1874
- Eldredge. Modern Tort Problems
- Linden. Canadian Tort Law
- Mitchell. A History of Tort Law 1900-1950. CUP. 2015. 
- Lunney. A History of Australian Tort Law 1901-1945. CUP. 2018. 
- Collett. A Manual of the Law of Torts, and of the Measure of Damages. 6th Ed, 1886. 3rd Ed, 1872
- Burrows. Remedies for Torts and Breach of Contract
- Blackstone's Statutes on Tort, Contract and Restitution
- Tort Law Review (Law Book Company, Sydney, 1993 onwards) Tort L Rev. Review: (1993) Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly 579
- Torts Law Journal (Butterworth, Sydney, 1993 onwards) Review: see preceding item
- Journal of Tort Law (Berkeley Electronic Press, USA, 2006 onwards)
- Tort and Insurance Law Journal (vols 21 to 37, 1985 to 2002); became Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal (vols 38 to 51, 2002 to 2016); formerly The Forum (began 1965). American Bar Association
- Gatley on Libel and Slander
- Carter-Ruck on Libel
- Odgers on Libel and Slander
Contract[edit | edit source]
Equity[edit | edit source]
- Snell's Principles of Equity
- De Smith's Judicial Review of Administrative Action
- Fordham's Handbook of Judicial Review
Land law[edit | edit source]
- Megarry and Wade. The Law of Real Property
- Sarah Cockburn. Questions and Answers on Land Law. 1968
- The Conveyancer (1915 to 1936) 
- The Conveyancer and Property Lawyer (1936 onwards)
War[edit | edit source]
- McNair. Legal Effects of War
- Baty and Morgan. War: Its Conduct and Legal Results
- Webber, George Julius. The Effect of War on Contracts. 2nd Ed. Solicitors Law Stationery Society. 1946.
- Campbell, Henry. Law of War and Contract. H Mifford, Oxford University Press. 1918
- Coleman Phillipson. Effect of War on Contracts. Stevens. London. 1909
- McKinnon LJ, Frank Douglas. Effect of War on Contract. Clarendon Press, Oxford. 1917
- Prafula Chandra Ghosh. The Effects of War on Contracts. University of Calcutta. 1920
- Report of the Pre-War Contracts Committee (Cd 8975) (1918) (Buckmaster Committee)
- Jan Ramberg. Cancellation of Contracts of Affreightment: On Account of War and Similar Circumstances. Akademifearlaget. 1969
- Report of the Committee on Liability for War Damage to the Subject-matter of Contracts (Cmd 6100) (1939)
- Spaight. War Rights on Land
- Gregory, Charles Noble, "Effect of War upon the Operation of Statutes of Limitation", International Law Association's Reports for 1913-1914 and 1914-1915
- Garner. International Law and the World War
- Krusin and Rogers. Solicitors Hand-Book of War Legislation
- Scobell Armstrong. War and Treaty Legislation, 1914-1922. 2nd Ed. 1922
- Baty, 31 LQR 1915
Prize[edit | edit source]
- Edward Stanley Roscoe. A History of the English Prize Court. 1924. 
Drafting[edit | edit source]
- Inns of Court School of Law. Drafting. Fifth Edition. Blackstone Press. 2000. ISBN 1841740624.
- Inns of Court School of Law. Opinion Writing. Fifth Edition. Blackstone Press. 2000. ISBN 1841740632.
History[edit | edit source]
Legal biography See w:Legal biography
- Debretts' House of Commons and Judicial Bench
- Men at the Bar
- Lives of Eminent Serjeants-at-law of the English Bar, 1869, vols 1 and 2. Contains biographies of 58 serjeants-at-law. Google Books:
- Other biographical sources for lawyers. The Inner Temple
- Baker. An Introduction to English Legal History
- Maitland. The Constitutional History of England
- The Oxford History of the Laws of England
- William Searle Holdsworth. A History of English Law
- Fifoot. Law and History in the Nineteenth Century. 1956
- Fifoot. Judge and Jurist in the Reign of Victoria. 1959
Some earlier works
- Deans. The Student's Legal History. 3rd Ed: 1913  , 4th Ed: 1921  
- White. Outlines of Legal History. 1895  
- Carter. Outlines of English Legal History. 1899  
- Maitland and Montague. A Sketch of English Legal History. 1915 
- Finlason. Reeves' History of the English Law. 1880 Vol 1:   Vol 2 Vol 3 Vol 4 Vol 5:  
- Ames. Lectures on Legal History and Miscellaneous Legal Essays. 1913 
- Vinogradoff (ed). Essays in Legal History read before the International Congress of Historical Studies held in London in 1913. 1913 
- Oxford Studies in Social and Legal History. Vol 1 (1909) vol 4 (1914)
- Law and Lawyers; or, Sketches and Illustrations of Legal History and Biography. 1840 vol 1 vol 2
- Popular Law Library. 1908. Vol 1, second subject ("legal history")
- Carter. A History of English Legal Institutions. 1902. 
- Walker. A Legal History of Scotland
- Simpson and Wilson. Scottish Legal History
- Kiralfy and MacQueen. New Perspectives in Scottish Legal History
- Reid and Zimmerman. A History of Private Law in Scotland
- Finlay. Legal Practice in Eighteenth Century Scotland
Europe and continental law
- The Oxford Handbook of European Legal History
- Continental Legal History Series. Published under the auspices of the Association of American Law Schools. vol 1 (1912)
Countries and other regions[edit | edit source]
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws. Kluwer.
- Introduction to the Law of . . . Kluwer.    
British overseas territories
- Hendry and Dickson. British Overseas Territories Law. 1st Ed: 2011, 2nd Ed: 2018 
- NZLII (nzlii.org)
- Mulholland, Raymond Douglas. Introduction to the New Zealand Legal System. Butterworths. 1985. 
- The Abridgement of New Zealand Case Law. (Abridgment of New Zealand Case Law). 1963 onwards. . Review: "Legal Literature" (1964) NZLJ 253 and 449 (23 June and 20 October)  . Commentary: . As to Herbert Jenner Wily, see 
- Robson. New Zealand: The Development of Its Laws and Constitution. 1967. 
Examinations[edit | edit source]
- Robert Maugham. A Supplement to the Digest of Examination Questions in Common Law, Conveyancing, Equity, Bankruptcy and Criminal Law from Hil Term 1848 to Hil Term 1851. Maxwell. 1851.
- Henry Newbolt Roberts. Examination Questions and Answers on Criminal Law.
- National Bar Examination Digest 
- Haynes and Nelham. The Honours Examination Digest. 1883. 
- Bedford. Final Examination Digest. Catalogues:  
- Bar Examination Papers, Questions and Answers (1901 to 1914) 
- Bar Examination Journal (1871-1892)