This course focuses on videoconferencing and audio communication. The learning resource was established during the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020 and support the transformation of educational settings and ecomonic infrastructure from physical face-to-face meetings towards videoconferencing. The course applies the Open Community Approach that supports the application of Open Source software for community driven objectives, humanitarian use and educational environment.
Target group[edit | edit source]
The following target groups was identified for this learning unit:
- Decision makers in educational instituts and schools,
- Decision makers in economy, that want to understand the requirements and constraints of videoconferencing.
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Videoconferencing is a precious resource. Handle with care and switch on video if and only if that is necessary. A video stream consumes much more bandwidth than as multiple audio streams. As a moderator you could recommend to the participants of your video conferences to switch on their video if and only if that is really required e.g. Especially in a resource constrained environment a shared resource like bandwidth need responsibility for a collaborative use of the resource.
Scenarios[edit | edit source]
- Inverted Classroom or Flipped Classroom with Online Learning Material in Wikiversity for self-study and videoconferencing for questions and answers (OpenSource example BigBlueButton),
- Peer-to-peer meeting between students (OpenSource web-based Jitsi)
- Meetings with e.g. 20
- Consultation hours with queuing of clients/students waiting for personal discussion with a teacher
Learning tasks[edit | edit source]
- (Requirements and Constraints for Videoconferencing) Identify requirements and constraints for the application of videoconferencing. Compare a pure audio conference with a video conference according to the objective of the meeting. In which cases is a pure audio conference sufficient for your requirements and constraints. .
- Explain if and when videoconferencing can be helpful in laboratory educational setting! What are specific requirements and constraints according to safety of people working in the laboratory (compare the approach with Telemedicine)
- Explain why videoconferencing is if deaf people are join!
- How can you make sure, that privacy issues are considered if videoconferencing is applied? Analyze the concept of Commercial Data Harvesting in the context of videoconferencing. In which cases would you recommend to setup you own video conferencing infrastructure? (Cloud is just a description a computer/server, that belongs of other people or another company, that is not yours).
- What are the requirements and framework conditions for
- (COVID-19) Analyze the COVID-19 outbreak and identify specific requirements and constraints for videoconferencing in an pandemics according to rapid increase of demands unprepared economical and educational infrastructure? Member states had different time spans to prepare due the temporal and spatial spread of the disease. How did member states use this preparation time in general and what would you suggest to increase preparedness?
- Compare pure audio conferencing with videoconferencing and discuss the PROs and CONs of video conferencing in comparison to audio conferencing.
- (Telemedicine - Encryption Medical Applications) In a medical infrastructure privacy issues are important. What are options to encrypt the videoconferencing. What will be the impact of encrypted videoconferencing in comparison to unencrypted video conferencing. Identify the domain of application, in which video conferencing could support health service delivery. Explaing wWhat are application of video conferencing in which the quality of medical service can increase due to response time and what are scenario which you could not replace a face to face visit between medical staff and patient!
- (Sustainability) What is the impact of videoconferencing on sustainable communities and the carbon footprint of meetings.
Submodules[edit | edit source]
Due to the rapid change in global challenges and knowledge about the spread of the pandemic, the demand for video conferencing is increasing. Use the users' subpages should support you in setting up video conferencing infrastructure for your institution or educational infrastructure:
Technical Setup - Software Development[edit | edit source]
- Testing - Learn how to create test scenarios to identify the capacity of your videoconferencing server.
- Bootlenecks - considerations of upstream Downstream bandwidth for videoconferencing, ....
- Improvements - some aspects that can be addressed in future optimizations of OpenSource video conferencing systems
Organisational Aspects[edit | edit source]
- Booking - Learn why it is important to book a meeting for a specific number of people and a specific time slot (server load control - assure good performance for all scheduled videoconferences)
- Handwriting and Annotations - Sketching a diagram annotation of shared student solutions and slides.
Use-Cases - Applications[edit | edit source]
- Education and Capacity Building - video conferencing in educational environments - what are the different use-cases of teaching
- Meetings - collaborative work of an group uses videoconferencing infrastructure
- Consultation-hours - workflow transformation of the scenario where people waiting are waiting in front of an office for consultation. How can this scenario be adapted to videoconferencing.
- Practice Groups Collaborative work in practice groups - divide in subgroups/working groups.
- Oral Exams - with special consideration of COVID-19 constraints and epidemiological risk mitigation.
See also[edit | edit source]
- COVID-19 and Requirements and Constraints for Videoconferencing
- Open Community Approach
- Open Educational Resources
- Goals for Sustainable Development - United Nations
[edit | edit source]
External links are essential to obtain additional information and to compare the contents here with other trustworthy sources
- Open Source Video Conferencing System - Big Blue Button - URL: https://bigbluebutton.org/
- AT6FUI Videopresentations and Videoconference Use for AT6FUI-Conference
References[edit | edit source]
- UN-Guidelines for Use of SDG logo and the 17 SDG icons (2016/10) - http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/UN-Guidelines-for-Use-of-SDG-logo-and-17-icons.October-2016.pdf
- UN-Guidelines for Use of SDG logo and the 17 SDG icons (2019/05/10) - https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/news/communications-material/