Wiki2Reveal is one cross-compilation pair of PanDocElectron as HTML5-WebApp for on-the-fly generation of webbased presentation from a given article in Wikiversity. Wiki2Reveal convert a Wikiversity page
- from the INPUT format in a MediaWiki
- to the OUTPUT format RevealJS.
|Source Article||Wiki2Reveal Presentation|
|Demo Article as Example||Wiki2Reveal with Math and Embedded Video|
|Mathematical Topology Demo Lecture||Wiki2Reveal with german Audio Comments - Normen, Metrik, Topologie|
The transcoding of the input format runs totally in the web-browser. The implementation for a productive use in Wikiversity
- can take an article name as link parameter of Wiki2Reveal,
- download the Wiki sources e.g. from Wikiversity by wtf_wikipedia,
- convert the wiki sources to RevealJS syntax for the slides,
- take embedded audio files in OGG-format as slide content (see Wiki2Reveal Demo with Audio Slide Show and
- display the converted in the browser on the fly.
The objective of this HTML5-WebApp is, that e.g. lectures can use Wikiversity articles directly as slides in a course as presentations.
Demo Links for Wiki2Reveal
- Basic Wiki2Reveal Demo in Wikiversity: Wiki2Reveal Demo - (Audio/Video Slides Demo)
- German Mathematics Lecture in Wikiversity: Topology Demo Lecture - (Audio/Video Slides Demo)
To convert a MediaWiki source document e.g. in Wikiversity into a Reveal Presentation it is necessary to perform the following 3 steps.
- the first step is the cross-origine call to retrieve the wiki source text of an article in the MediaWiki.
- the second step is to transcode the wiki syntax to HTML body of the RevealJS presentation and
- render the RevealJS presentation if the Wiki source text was fetched successfully from the MediaWiki server.
- (1 - Article Select) Select an article name, that was designed as presentation (i.e. small section, with text that fit on single slide - see Wikiversity:Topologie. Topologie
- (Language Select) Select a Language (e.g. German in the user interface) for which you want to download the article as Reveak presentation.
- (2 - Domain Select)Select a Wiki domain from which you want to download the presentation (mostly Wikiversity or Wikipedia)
- (3 - Start Online Demo of Wiki2Reveal)Start Wiki2Reveal-Online-Demo and adjust the default settings for your article.
- (4 - On-the-Fly-Download and Convert to Presentation) Press download presentation in Wiki2Reveal-Online-Demo.
- (5 - Fullscreen Presentation) Press (F) for Fullscreen presentation.
- (6 - Comment on Slide) Press (C) to comment slide with stylus on tablet or with mouse on PC. Comment on slide are only available during browser session
- (7 - Blackboard for each slide) Press (B) for blackboard to have seperate empty blackboard for each slide for further comments that you want write down durch the lecture or seminar with stylus on tablet.
- (Optional: Link Copy of Presentation) AfterRemember the wiki2reveal.html link the browser. You can copy this link and any time you click on the link you will get the current presentation generated on-the-fly from the article in the MediaWiki.
Wiki2Reveal is a based on work of Spencer Kelly, who created wtf_wikipedia. Without his work Wiki2Reveal as support for learning resources in Wikiversity would not exist and implemented as a proof of concept. Currently some work is to do to create robust parsing and especially implementing the export format from an Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) into Office products like LibreOffice, PDF and presentations. Reveal is just one example of output formats that can be used. Furthermore the current application of the Book Creator in a Wikipedia and Wikiversity is very demanding on the server side. HTML5 application run in a browser and could take over the performance of conversion. The underlying structure of wtf_wikipedia could be a key component for such a HTML5 based software design, because it has incorporated the following underlying steps, i.e. in nutshell:
- (fetch) fetching a one or number of articles with a call of the MediaWiki API.
- (parse) creates an Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) from the wiki markdown source.
- (output) take the AST as input and generate a specific output format like office documents, PDF, HTML or e-Book formats from the AST.
- Explore the concept of an Abstract Syntax Tree in the library Uglify and AST created by parsing a HTML page!
- What are the challenges parsing a Wiki markdown source and/or HTML in comparison to a programming language like C++.
- Wiki2Reveal is an AppLSAC, i.e. runs totally in your browser and does not need a software installed on your computer.
- Download the HTML-files in the GitHub repository https://www.github.com/niebert/Wiki2Reveal and unzip on you harddrive. Explore the code in /docs before. Start the file docs/index.html in your browser.