The Internet and Computing Core Certification (IC3) is a global certification program designed to certify an individual's digital literacy skills associated with basic computer and Internet use. The certification includes three exams: Computing Fundamentals, Key Applications, and Living Online.
Computing Fundamentals includes computer hardware, computer software, and using an operating system. Key Applications includes common program functions, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, database software, and document collaboration. Living Online includes Internet fundamentals, electronic communication, network fundamentals, and computer use and safety.
This course comprises 13 lessons on basic computer and Internet use covering each of the IC3 topic areas. Each lesson includes a combination of Wikipedia readings, YouTube videos, and hands-on learning activities. The three modules may be completed in any order. Learners new to computer concepts should start with Living Online, which assist with basic usage and functionality. Those more familiar with office suite programs should start with Key Applications, which reviews common features. Those already familiar with computer hardware and operating systems should start with Computing Fundamentals.
Preparation[edit | edit source]
This is an introductory college-level computer course. Learners should have basic computer skills, including typing, mouse, and web browser navigation. Learners who wish to increase their knowledge and prepare for the college-entry requirements are welcome to use the Wikiversity resources provided in the MultiMedia and See Also categories listed below.
Lessons[edit | edit source]
- Common Program Functions
- Word Processing
- Presentation Software
- Database Software
- Document Collaboration
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
- YouTube: Business Certification: Internet & Computing Core Certification (IC3) for HS Students
- YouTube: IC3 Exam Demo
- Quizlet: Virtual flash card study guide
- Success Stories: IC3 certification
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Computer Skills
- Introduction to Computers
- A Brief History of Computing
- Wikipedia: IC3 (certification)
- Cert III Applications Qualification in Australia
- ECDL libre: European Computer Driving Licence using software libre
- Linn-Benton: CS120 - Digital Literacy
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Morrison, Connie and Wells, Delores J. (2013). Computer Literacy BASICS, 4th Edition. Cengage. ISBN 9781133629733