Computer Skills/Basic/Software Concepts
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Basic software concepts include operating systems and applications.
Objectives and Skills[edit | edit source]
Objectives and skills for basic software concepts include:
- Distinguish what is software / hardware
- Understand menu bars; etc
- Understand basic terminology: ﬁle; application
- Understand purpose of backup
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
Activities[edit | edit source]
- Complete the tutorial GCFLearnFree.org Understanding Applications. Identify common applications installed on your computer (browser, word processing application, presentation application, etc.).
- Complete the tutorial Backing Up Your Files. Create a backup of your important files.
Key Terms[edit | edit source]
- Computer software that causes a computer to perform useful tasks beyond the running of the computer itself.
- Refers to the copying and archiving of computer data so it may be used to restore the original after a data loss event.
- A software application for retrieving, presenting and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web.
- A resource for storing information, which is available to a computer program and is usually based on some kind of durable storage.
- word processor
- A software application for composing, editing, formatting and sometimes printing of any sort of written material.