Basic hardware includes the computer case, the display, the keyboard, mouse, cables, and connectors.
Objectives and Skills
Objectives and skills for basic hardware include:
- Identify component parts: cables, etc
- Complete the tutorial Getting Started on the Computer. Identify the external parts of your computer (case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, ports).
- Complete the tutorial Getting to Know Computers. Identify the types of computers you use regularly (desktops, laptops, servers, tablets, mobile phones, game consoles, other).
- Complete the tutorial Basic Parts of a Desktop Computer. If you have a desktop computer, identify the external parts of your computer (case, monitor, power cord, keyboard, mouse or other pointing device). Where possible, note the manufacturer's product name and model number.
- Complete the tutorial Buttons, Sockets and Slots on a Desktop Computer. Identify the buttons, sockets, and slots available on your computer. List each type of button, socket, or port you have, and where on the case they are located. Also list any connected peripheral devices, including product name and model number.
- Complete the tutorial Laptop Computers and Notebooks. If you have a laptop or similar computer, identify the external parts of your computer (case, display, power adapter, keyboard, touchpad, ports).
- Complete the tutorial Getting to Know Mobile Devices. If you have a mobile device, identify the type, manufacturer's product name and model number.
- Two or more wires running side by side and bonded, twisted, or braided together to form a single assembly.
- computer case
- The enclosure that contains most of the components of a computer (usually excluding the display, keyboard and mouse).
- An output device for presentation of information in visual form.
- A typewriter-style device, which uses an arrangement of buttons or keys, to act as mechanical levers or electronic switches.
- A portable personal computer with a clamshell form factor, suitable for mobile use. They are also sometimes called notebook computers or notebooks.
- A pointing device that functions by detecting two-dimensional motion relative to its supporting surface.
- A mobile computer with display, circuitry and battery in a single unit.
- Computer Skills/Intermediate/Hardware
- Computer Skills/Advanced/Hardware
- Computer Skills/Proficient/Hardware