Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Gbaor (full custodian)
I would like to nominate User:Gbaor for probationary custodian. SB_Johnny and myself have been encouraging Gbaor to stand for custodian since mid-March (). My reasons for proposing him: (1) He has been a consistently "very active" editor since last November (see Wikiversity:Participants), averaging a steady 200 edits or so per month; (2) his editing interests are very strongly administrative (e.g. categorising, repairing, moving); (3) his maintenance editing style strongly complements rather than overlaps the styles of some others - e.g. he has very usefully made small but necessary improvements to (brash?) edits by myself and Jtneill - he has an eye for the detail, more like Remi; (4) recently his contributions to debate about Wikiversity development show a particular dedication to being impartial and positive to all sides involved - this edit was one I especially liked; (5) he doesn't have an excessive desire for sysop-status - he's needed a little prompting. Overall, I see Gbaor as a careful, reliable editor with a good feel for consensus, community and organisation and a long-term commitment. --McCormack 06:14, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- I have to be brief, while I haven't got much time to contribute on weekends. I accept the nomination for the custodianship status. I am in such a fortunate situation, that I can choose between two offers of menthorship from SB_Johnny and McCormack. Only one menthor should be assigned per probationary custodian however, so I choose McCormack. I edit usually from Monday to Friday during the day, so it is easier to communicate in real time with him (no time zone difference). The 26th May could be the starting date. --Gbaor 12:06, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
Comments about nomination for probationary custodian[edit source]
- Note to bureaucrats: User:Gbaor has asked not to be given probationary status until 26th May at the earliest.
Note to User:Gbaor: if you accept the nomination, please say so and select a mentor from those who have offered to mentor you.--McCormack 06:14, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, I encourage Gbaor, he is a thorough editor, well-intentioned, easy to work with, eager to learn, transparent communicator, with technical know-how, etc. -- Jtneill - Talk 05:27, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
Mentor's report and recommendation[edit source]
Gbaor has now completed his probationary period and I am nominating him for full custodian. Gbaor has proven to be everything I originally predicted (please see nomination above for further praise), with more into the bargain. During his 30 days, he has made over 800 edits. These generally continue and expand his previous style of editing in a solid and dependable fashion. He thinks about his edits and definitely makes WV a better place. He has made quite wide use of the delete tool in his category work, but has otherwise used tools little. His communication with other users is good and he has participated in community discussions on a wide range of topics. A few other things I learnt about Gabor which fill in the picture: he is a young academic, in the process of completing his PhD thesis right now; from Slovakia, he speaks 3 Eastern European languages, as well as commanding excellent English. Gbaor will further internationalise Wikiversity's educational perspectives and he can bridge well between projects in different languages. In summary, I am very pleased with Gbaor. He is just the kind of custodian we need. --McCormack 09:30, 26 June 2008 (UTC)
Discussion and questions[edit source]
Gbaor's custodianship can be discussed here for a period of 5 days or so. Please vote in the section below.
I have two questions for you:
- Can you characterise your knoweledge of the content of English wv?
- Have you tried to find a "wiki way of learing" here by creating some educational units?
Thanks.--Juan 16:35, 28 June 2008 (UTC)
- I think it could be best described as intermediate knowledge. I certainly know the "main pathways" and pages/topics that interest me, but I also often find something new.
- My work here was mostly about maintenance so far, because of my overall busyness. Certainly I plan to contribute into main namespace, based on my profession, interests and own needs. First of all I want to finish what I began, i.e. the categorization issue, +few thing around Bloom Clock (and maybe Film School) maintenance. Also I want to become advanced in German and pick up basics of French in the next 1/2 year. So you can expect contributions around language learning in the first place. Other areas I want to develop are: statistics, biology - focused mainly on biodiversity and animal breeding. --Gbaor 05:16, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
One more question to you. What you think that is the role of custodian?--Juan 18:21, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
- Custodians should be experienced users, therefore I think their (our) main role is to support other less experienced wikiversitans, newcomers particularly. Other very important role is to guard WV from unwanted entries, shut down the "bad guys" and rollback/delete the potentially harmful edits. Apart from few custodian tools they (we) are just ordinary editors, so the role is also similar: to create new content and organize the current one. --Gbaor 05:58, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
- So is there a difference of wv custodian and wp admin?Juan 16:53, 1 July 2008 (UTC)
- Support. Great. --McCormack 09:30, 26 June 2008 (UTC)
- Support. Gbaor is making (in)valuable contributions in many different ways. He communicates effectively, learns fast, and is helping to mentor others; custodian suits him well. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 10:55, 26 June 2008 (UTC)
- Support ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 15:37, 26 June 2008 (UTC)
- Support Looks good to me. Captain panda 21:13, 28 June 2008 (UTC)
- Support All good. Countrymike 01:38, 30 June 2008 (UTC)