What Matters/Esteem and Recognition
Esteem and Recognition[edit | edit source]
- understanding your own strengths and limitations,
- acknowledging your strengths by holding yourself in high regard,
- recognizing and accepting your limitations simply as evidence you are finite rather than as shameful defects in your being, and
- engaging authentically with others so that people who know you best think well of you.
Earn authentic recognition and respect from the people who know you best.
Healthy self-esteem rejects the false pride of hubris and the self-aggrandizing of narcissism. It also avoids debilitating shame. Find that balance that comes from knowing your strengths and limitations.
Assignment:[edit | edit source]
- Study this list of character strengths and virtues. Identify the 3-5 strengths on the list that best describe you.
- Notice how you apply each of your strengths in everyday situations, to solve problems, and to contribute to larger projects.
- Identify additional beneficial ways to apply your strengths.
Suggestions for further reading:[edit | edit source]
- (Find books to recommend here.)
References:[edit | edit source]
- dictionary.com entry for esteem