We are being authentic when our words, beliefs, actions, goals, and results are aligned with who we are—our self. It is a congruence between our actions and our strengths, values, and goals. We become authentic when the path we choose through life is congruent with who we are. It is a congruence between who we are and what we do. An authentic choice is a decision congruent with doing your best.
Because truth is correspondence with reality, we must embrace reality and be truthful to be authentic. We must be authentic to be trustworthy.
Abraham Maslow realized: “Musicians must make music, artists must paint, poets must write if they are to be ultimately at peace with themselves.” Find your strength and apply it.
- Seek out your authentic self.
- Make authentic choices.
- Increase your candor.
- Become more trustworthy.
- Complete the course on Earning Trust.
- Seek real good.
- Answer this question: If you had all the time and all the money in the world, what would you do?
- How can you do that now?
- Write the eulogy you would like to have delivered at your funeral. Work to make those words true.
Suggestions for further reading:
- Robinson, Ken (2009). The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything. Penguin. p. 288. ISBN 978-0143116738. Unknown parameter
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Wisdom (A Toltec Wisdom Book), 1997, Don Miguel Ruiz, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-31-0
- Deci, Edward L. (1996). Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation. Penguin. p. 240. ISBN 978-0140255263. Unknown parameter
- Brown, Brene (2010). The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. Hazelden. p. 160. ISBN 978-1592858491.
- Hofstadter, Douglas R. (2008). I Am a Strange Loop. Basic Books. p. 436. ISBN 978-0465030798.
Physiological Needs • Human Rights • Psychological Needs • Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs • Dignity • Health, Fitness, and Wellness • Flourishing • Emotional Competency • Family • Progeny and Legacy • Peace of mind, Inner Peace • Beauty, awe • Exploration, discovery, learning • Dreaming • Authenticity • Virtues Development • Courage • Love • Spiritual Development • Play • Pleasure • Flow • Skills Mastery • Esteem and Recognition • Creativity • Stewardship and Sustainability • Compassion • Integrity • Values Development • Community • Adopt a Global Perspective • Find your good work • Altruism • Peace on earth, good will toward all • Enlightenment • Wisdom