We are being authentic when our words, beliefs, actions, goals, and results are aligned with who we are—our self. It is a congruence between our actions and our strengths, values and goals. We become authentic when the path we choose through life is congruent with who we are. It is a congruence between who we are and what we do. An authentic choice is a decision congruent with doing your best.
Abraham Maslow realized: “Musicians must make music, artists must paint, poets must write if they are to be ultimately at peace with themselves.” Find your strength and apply it.
- Seek out your authentic self.
- Complete the Wikiversity course on Unmasking the True Self.
- Make authentic choices.
- Increase your candor.
- Become more trustworthy.
- Answer this question: If you had all the time and all the money in the world, what would you do?
- How can you do that now?
- Write the eulogy you would like to have delivered at your funeral. Work to make those words true.
Suggestions for further reading:
- Robinson, Ken; Lou Aronica (2009). The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything. Penguin. pp. 288. ISBN 978-0143116738.
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Wisdom (A Toltec Wisdom Book), 1997, Don Miguel Ruiz, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-31-0
- Deci, Edward L.; Richard Flaste (1996). Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation. Penguin. pp. 240. ISBN 978-0140255263.
- Brown, Brene (2010). The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. Hazelden. pp. 160. ISBN 978-1592858491.
- Hofstadter, Douglas R. (2008). I Am a Strange Loop. Basic Books. pp. 436. ISBN 978-0465030798.
Physiological Needs • Human Rights • Psychological Needs • Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs • Dignity • Health, Fitness, and Wellness • Flourishing • Emotional Competency • Family • Progeny and Legacy • Peace of mind, Inner Peace • Beauty, awe • Exploration, discovery, learning • Dreaming • Authenticity • Virtues Development • Courage • Love • Spiritual Development • Play • Pleasure • Flow • Skills Mastery • Esteem and Recognition • Creativity • Stewardship and Sustainability • Compassion • Integrity • Values Development • Community • Adopt a Global Perspective • Find your good work • Altruism • Peace on earth, good will toward all • Enlightenment • Wisdom