Web Design/Using the Internet as a Learning Tool
It is impossible for anyone to ignore the incredible learning opportunities that the internet brings! Although this course focuses on website design, we'll also be exploring ways to leverage the incredible information and tools that are freely available on the net so that we can keep on learning web design after completing the course and continue on for the rest of our lives! Sorry if that sounds cliche, but it is exciting!
Module Aim[edit | edit source]
Some of the things that you might learn in this module:
- putting down in writing a topic or area that you would like to investigate further
- finding useful resources that may facilitate your learning
- interacting with others who are currently involved in the topic or area
- Reflecting on your learning as you go in a way that allows other interested people to participate
- Building a list of RSS feeds that will help keep you up-to-date in different areas
Bear in mind that the skills that you practise in this module are life-long learning skills! Ideally you'll demonstrate these skills on an ongoing basis.
Suggested Activities[edit | edit source]
- If you don't already have your own blog, then setting up your own and starting to write regularly would be a great way to start learning!
- Discover the history of the Web - An interactive group activity exploring the history of the web.
- Starting to build own set of RSS feeds for web design news (you can start by seeing what other web-designers read, for eg: HTMLDogs blog roll)
- Contributing to the learnings of others in the course
- Contributing to a Wikipedia article of your choice.
- del.icio.us - Starting your own social bookmarks collection!
- Have a look through the Networked learning entry here in wikipedia.
Your learning resources[edit | edit source]
- Getting started with Blogging in Education - A gentle introduction to blogging, from "what is a blog" and creating your own blog through to considering how blogging can be used to learn in education.
- Blogger - If you want to get straight in there and create your own blog, this is a great place to start!
- Bloglines - As you find other blogs that are of interest to you, you might want to use an easy tool like Bloglines to help you track those blogs.
- http://www.alistapart.com/ - An online magazine for people who make websites. (The magazine which coined 'Responsive Web Design')
- http://www.smashingmagazine.com/ - An online magazine for inspiration and learning.