Sometime in 1894[edit | edit source]
Electricity was available in Hampstead (Baring-Gould II 567, n. 19).
January 1894[edit | edit source]
1 January 1894, Monday, New Year's Day[edit | edit source]
31 January 1894, Wednesday[edit | edit source]
The wedding of James Baillie and Hon. Nellie Bass, the children of extremely wealthy people. The description of the cake is worth looking at, as are the bride's trousseau, including the sealskin coat and accessories, as well as the gifts to the bride. The newspaper copy is not very good, and so the OCR isn't either. The reporter describing the scene seems not to have known who all the women were, a little unusual for this kind of article.
Marriage of Miss Bass and Mr. Baillie
The marriage of Mr. James Evan Bruce Baillie of Dochfour to the Hon. Nellie Lisa Bass took place yesterday afternoon, at Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, London, in the presence of a large and fashionable congregation. Although this is not what is known as the London season, yet great interest was taken in the function in the highest circles, and many members of society came to town specially to attend the ceremony and reception. The weather was exceedingly unfavourable, but in spite of that, and the fact that the time of the year was decidedly against any picturesque display of brilliant costumes, the wedding itself may be classed as one of the prettiest of the year. Miss Bass is the only child of Lord and Lady Burton, of Rangemore Hall, Burton-on-Trent; Glen Quoich, Inverness-shire; and Chesterfield House, Mayfair, W. Lord Burton, who is a Deputy Lieutenant for the county of Stafford, and a county alderman, is hon. colonel of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion (Prince of Wales's) North Staffordshire Regiment, a director of Bass and Co. (Limited), and of the South-Eastern Railway Company. He represented Stafford in the House of Commons in the Liberal interest from 1865 to 1868, East Staffordshire from 1868 to 1885, and the Burton Division of the same county from 1885 to 1886. He was created a baronet in 1882, and four years later was raised to the peerage as Baron Burton of Rangemore and Burton-on-Trent. Lady Burton is the daughter of the late Mr. Edward Thornewill, Dove Cliff, Burton. The bridegroom is the eldest son of the late Mr. Evan P. Montague Baillie and Lady Frances Anne Baillie (who was Lady of the Bedchamber to the Duchess of Edinburgh from 1874), and grandson of the seventh Earl of Elgin, and cousin of the present Viceroy of India. Mr. Baillie, who, as stated in the Daily Post yesterday, claims descent from the patriot William Wallace, is an extensive landed proprietor in Inverness-shire, and a portion of of the estates — namely, the deer forest of Cluny — has been rented for many years by Lord Burton, for shooting purposes.
The wedding was fixed to take place at half-past two, but by one o'clock a crowd of people had assembled round the principal doors of the church. The heavy rain which had descended so persistently all through the morning ceased shortly after mid-day, but the sky continued to wear a dark and threatening aspect, and occasionally there was a slight fall of rain, which, together with the cold wind, made the people anxious for the doors of the church to be opened. Admission could only be obtained by ticket, and as soon as the gates of the sacred edifice were unfastened the west gallery and the centre aisles were quickly filled. Carriages and cabs drove up in rapid succession so that by two o'clock there was very little room to be found on the floor, except in the side aisles. Holy Trinity Chruch is a large and handsome building, which was rebuilt and redecorated by the Earl of Cadogan, in 1889, at a cost of about £15,000. The internal arrangements are very much akin to those in a cathedral, and the large windows and the lofty vaulted roof give at the church a most imposing appearance. During the London season it is the scene of many fashionable weddings; and it was here that the Earl and Countess of Dudley were married, and also where Lord Cadogan's daughter was united in the bonds of matrimony to Lord Lurgan. On the present occasion the church was beautifully decorated with plants and flowers. Large towering palms, twenty to thirty feet high, were placed in effective positions in the chancel, and apparently growing from tubs hidden by charmingly arranged groups of ferns, arum lilies, lilies of the valley, azaleas, the long pendulous spikes of the pretty orchid odontoglossum alexandria, and other choice white plants and flowers. Along the front of the choir-stalls there were further groups of flowers and graceful palms, and the altar-table was adorned with six enormous bouquets of white flowers. The handsome screen on either side of the chancel steps was beautifully festooned with flowers, and on the steps at the base of the screen were arranged beds of lilies of the valley. There was plenty of at time for the rapidly increasing congregation to admire the beauty of the floral decorations, and, moreover, to study the costumes of the distinguished and aristocratic guests of Lord and Lady Burton. The prevailiing colour worn was mauve in various shades, but a very large number of ladies were dressed in black, and the majority wore long cloaks rather than jackets. One of the earliest arrivals was Lady Chetwode, Lord Burton's sister, who was dressed in brown, with green trimming and chinchilla collar, white lace being prettily arranged over the green in front of the dress. She was accomparnied by her daughter, who wore a similarly coloured dress trimmed with pink-and-white lace jabot. Mrs. Hamar Bass looked charming in dark blue with a black velvet cloak trimmed with a good deal of white lace and white satin yoke. She also wore a black-and-white bonnet trimmed with white feathers. Lady Hothfield was dressed in bright magenta velvet trimmed with sable fur, and bonnet to match. lsabella Countess of Wilton had on a green plush dress with bright yellow yoke; and Lady Mary Osborne (lady-in-waiting to the Duchess of Edinburgh) was attired in green velvet trimmed with handsome passementerie and lace. One lady looked very pretty in pale mauve silk, the bodice gathered with black guipure, purple velvet sleeves, and a small purple bonnet. Another lady affected a beautiful costume of royal blue, trimmed with chinchilla. A very pretty costume worn by one lady was a skirt and three-quarter cloak of deep reddish purple velvet, trimmed with bands of mink; in another instance a lady was attired in bright mauve, with cloak of a similar hue, trimmed with chinchilla; dark-green plush, with long cloak of emerald green, trimmed with sable, and a velvet bonnet was the costume of one lady; another had a rich purple plush mantle, with a deep flounce of cream lace and a shoulder-cape of the same material; and another lady appeared to great advantage in a beautiful black velvet mantle, embroidered with gold and ostrich feather trimming, black toque trimmed with twisted green velvet and small black tips, and knot of purple velvet. Many of the gowns worn had Zouave jackets of some kind of fur, principally chinchilla and caracul. With the ladies were a fair number of children, and a young girl was conspicuous in a pretty fawn-coloured cloth dress, trimmed with green silk, and a large black hat, also trimmed with green silk, and two large ostrich feathers. Among others present at the church were Lord Curzon, the Austrian Ambassador, Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Grant (relatives of Lord Burton). Mrs. and Miss Meadows, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Bailey, Mr. D. Evershed, M.P., Mrs. Evershed, Mr. George Wright, Lord Montgomery, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Curtis, Miss Curtis, Captain and Mrs. Eccles, Mrs. Bridges, Mr. N. Pratt, Mrs. Winslow, General Sir John Ewart, Miss Chandos Pole, Mrs. and Miss Campbell. Hon. Mrs. Roger Eykyn, Mrs. Sotheby, Colonel Evans, Sir Thomas and Lady Boughey, Mrs. and Miss Eccles, Miss Lyon, Miss Frances Lyonn, Mrs. Melville, Hon. H. E. Morton, Miss Morton, Mr P. Ralli, Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Clay, Miss Bott, Colonel and Mrs. Mort (of Stafford), Lady Alexande Paget, Lady Russell, Mrs. Probyn, Mrs. Arthur Wilson, Miss Muriel Wilson, Lady Stratheden, Misses Frends, Mrs. and Miss Mynors, Lord and Lady Hindlip, Mrs. Augustine Birrel, Hon. Colonel and Miss Colville, Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. and Miss Beaumont, Captain Alex. Baillie, Countess of Lindsay, Lady G. Bertie, Lord and Lady lnchiquin, Hon. Clara O'Brien, Lacy Moreton, Countess of Chesterfield, Lady Trevelyan, Sir William and Lady Flower, Lady Jane Taylor, Miss Drummond, Hon. Mrs. Grant, Adelaide Countess of Westmoreland, Hon. G. and Lady Napier, Sir Henry James, M.P., Miss James, Sir Thomas Roe, Hon. Mrs. Chandos Leigh, Miss Violet Leigh, Mr. and Mrs. F. Bead, Sir Reginald and Lady Hardy, Colonel and Mrs. Langford, Lord and Lady Carew, Earl and Countess of Craven, Lady Lurgan, Lady Evelyn Curzon; Mr., Mrs., and Miss Gretton; Mr. Eilice, Capt. Ames, Mr. and Mrs. E. K. Hall, Archdeacon Lane, Mrs. Lane, Lady Cremorne, Countess of Arran, Lady Esther Gore, Lord Bagot, Mr. and Mrs. William James, Lady Ebury, Earl and Countess of Coventry, Countess of Ancaster, Viscountess Galway, Lady Scott, Lord and Lady de Ramsay, the Duchess or Devonshire, Countess Gosford, Lord and Lady Cadogan, Mr. Algernon Peel, Mr. E. J. Thornewill, Lord and Lady William Nevill, Sir Algernon and Lady Borthwick, Sir John and Lady Lubbock, the Countess of Huntington, Hon. Mary Thelluson, Countess of Powis, Mrs. Duncan Bailie, Miss Baillie, Hon. Archer and Lady Clementine Walsh, Captain and Mrs. Arthur Somerset, the Countess of Mar and Kellie, Lady Ross of Balgonie, Viscountess Hood, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Hay, Lady Fitzgerald, Dowager Lady Manners, Mr. R. and Mrs. Thornewill, Mr. and Mrss G. Barton. Councillor Cain, Mr. and Mrs. C. Harrison, Rev. V. A. Boyle (vicar of Burton), Councillor Morris, Councillor Turner, Mr. and Mrs. Houghton, Messrs. Wright, Lea, and Spalding. Many ladies and gentlemen travelled specially from Burton and the neighbourhood by the early morning train to attend the service. Prior to the arrival of the bridal party lily of the valley favours were given to every member of the congregation, and many of the gentlemen also wore "buttonholes" of violets, the bride's favourite flower.
About twenty minutes past two Lady Burton arrived, accompanied by her sisters, Miss Thornewill and Miss Jane Thornewill. Her ladyship was aittired in a beautiful dress of salmon pink silk, trimmed with very deep red guipure; Miss Thornewiil was in red velvet, and Miss Jane Thornewill wore a pale-green dress trimmed with white lace. Lady Burton and her sisters were accommodated with front seats in the centre aisle. They had scarcely taken their places when the bridegroom arrived, attended by the Hon. Gustavus William Hamliton Russell, of the 3rd Northumberland Fusiliers, eldest son of Viscount Boyne, of Brancepeth Castle, Durham, who acted as "best man." Mr. Baillie proceeded to the church steps, and at the same time the surpliced choir took their places, the deputy organist (Mr. Marsh) meanwhile playing the bridal music from Wagner's "Lohengrin." Punctually at half-past two there was a buzz of excitement, and all eyes were immediately turned to the west door. The bride was seen advancing up the pathway beneath the coloured awning which had been erected on account of the rain, and as she entered the church, leaning on the arm of her father, the hymn, "Oh, perfect love, all humnan thoughts transcending," was sung to music by Hulton. The bride wore a magnificent wedding-gown of white satin duchesse, with simple "babes" [?] bodice, and sleeves of Brussels point only to elbow, and transparent under-sleeves. She also wore a broad satin ribbon round the waist, the hem of the Court train being trimmed with fine pearl embroidery in the design of wheatears. The bridal veil, of the finest white tulle, surmounted a chaplet of real orange blossoms in foliage. The bride's ornaments were a massive diamond-link necklace, the gift of the bridegroom; a superb diamond-and-pearl bracelet, the gift of the London officials and staff of Messrs. Bass and Co.; and a bracelet with regimental badge of Prince of Wales's feathers and Staffordshire knot in diamonds from the officers past and present of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Prince of Wales's North Staffordshire Regiment. The bride, who carried a lovely bouquet, was attended by no fewer than ten bridesmaids — namely, Miss Evelyn Hamar Chetwode (daughter of Sir George and Lady Chetwode), Miss Sibell Bass (daughter of Mr. Hamar and the Hon. Louisa Bass), cousins of the bride; Miss Augusta Mary Bruce (daughter of the Hon. T. C. and Mrs. Bruce), Miss Daisy Baillie (daughter of Lady Blanche Baillie), cousins of the bridegroom; Lady / Violet Mary Cordon Lennox (daughter of the Earl of March, who is also to be a bridesmaid at the marriage, on the 3rd of February, of Mr. Granville Leveson-Gower and Miss Evelyn Brassey), Lady Sophie Beatrice Mary Cadogan (daughter of the Earl and Countess Cadogan), Lady Cecilia Willoughby (daughter of the Earl and Countess of Ancaster), Lady Dorothy Coventry (daughter of the Earl and Countess of Coventry), the Hon. Maud Grosvenor (daughter of Lord and Lady Ebury), and the Hon. Mary Laura Fraser (sister of the present Lord Lovat). They were picturescuely-dressed [sic] in gowns of ivory satin of original design. The bodices were in the finest pleated satin, with wide collars edged with golden beaver fur and creamy lace, the full skirts being edged with the same fur and finished at the waist with wide satin ribbon and diamond buckles. They also wore "Rubens" hats of dahlia-coloured velvet, with three bunches of wood violets on the left side and ornamented with three black ostrich tips in front. The bridegroom's presents to them were unique Double-pin brooches of diamonds and rubies, and they carried "Victoria shower" bouquets of dark and light violetsI and lilies of the valley, this combination being the one most suited to the peculiar shade of violet trimmings of their costumes. Before the singing of the processional hymn had terminated, the bridal procession had reached the choir rails, and the bride was immediately joined by the bridegroom. A pause for a few moments enabled the congregation to admire the lovely costume of the bride, who looked charming as she stood by the side of the bridegroom, and the equally lovely dresses of the bridesmaids. The choral service was then commenced. The officiating clergy were the Rev. Albert Baillie, M.A. (chaplain to the Bishop of Rochester), brother of the bridegroom; the Rev. Alfred Love, M.A., vicar of Rangemore, Burton-on-Trent; and the Rev. Walter Hiley, M.A., rector of St. Mary s [sic], Stamford. The Rev. Albert Baillie performed the ceremony, and Lord Burton gave his daughter away. The responses were made by the bride in a clear musical voice, which was heard throughout the church; but the bridegroom was inaudible except to those seated in the immediate vicinity. After the rev. gentleman had added his blessing, the bride and bridegroom were conducted to the altar. The sixty-seventh Psalm, "Deus Miseratur," was chanted, and the service was then continued by the Rev. A. Lowe, the concluding exhortation being read by the Rev. W. Hiley. As the newly-married pair, followed by their nearest relatives and friends, proceeded to the vestry, the hymn, "Oh Jesus, I have promised To serve Thee to the end," was sung. In the vestry the register was signed by the bride and bridegroom, Lord and Lady Burton, the Austrian Ambassador, Lord Curzon, Lady Chetwode, Mrs. Evelyn H. Laming, Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Grant, Mr. Hamar Bass, Mr. Augustus C. Baillie (brother of the bridegroom), Mr. J. A. James, and the Hon. G. Hamilton Russell, and the Rev. A. Baillie, as the clergyman who had performed the marriage ceremony. The signing of the register occupied some little time, but as soon as Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Baillie reappeared in the chancel the deputy organist played Mendelssohn's "Wedding March," and the church bells rang a merry peal. The bride, leaning on the arm of her husband, walked down the centre aisle, smiling and bowing to her friends and receiving their hearty congratulations. The happy pair followed by Lord and Lady Burton and other relatives and friends, and, the carriages being in readiness the party drove back to Chesterfield House, while the congregation remained to a view the decorations, and speak with enthusiasm of the very pretty ceremonial which they had just witnessed.
Subsequently Lord and Lady Burton gave a reception at Chesterfield House. Between 800 and 900 invitations were issued, and about 500 were accepted. The wedding presents were displayed in the ballroom, and were greatly admired — particularly two splendid portraits, in oils, of the bride and bridegroom, the gift of Lady Frances Baillie, the mother of the bridegroom. The bridecakes, which were supplied by Messrs. Gunter and Co., occupied prominent positions in the reception-room. The prinicipal cake was six feet high, and weighed over 250lb. The side was decorated with clusters of orange blossoms, white roses, and lilies of the valley, each delicately framed in four medallions of artistic sugar-work. Between the medallions was some beautiful work in high relief, composed of similar material. The upper rim was encircled by a border of oak leaves and acorns. The cake was surmounted by a fairy-like temple of Moorish design, rising from a base formed of a network of sugar. The temple sheltered a tiny Cupid shyly presenting an offering of orange blossoms. From the top of the temple rose a very handsome vase of novel design with Arabesque tracery, carrying a bouquet of a lovely flowers, all typical of the happy occasion, with gracefully falling trails to the top of the cake. Among the large number of guests at the reception were the Austrian Ambassador, Earl and Countess of Coventry, Count Albert Mensdorff, Count Hermann Hatzfeldt, Countess of Ancester and the Ladies Willoughby, Marquis de Santurce, Lord and Lady William Neville, Earl and Countess of Arran and Lady Esther Gore, Countess of Chesterfield, Viscount and Viscountess Curzon, Countess Aylesford, Earl of Yarmouth, Countess Lindsey, Viscountess Galway, Mary Countess of Mar and Kellie, Countess of Huntingdon, Adelaine Countess of Westmoreland [sic], Countess Powis, Earl of Yarborough, Lady Magheramonre [sic], Lady Kathleen Drummond, Lady Jane Taylor, Lady de Ramsay, Lady Forbes and Miss Forbes, Lady Erskine, Lady Louise Loder, Lady Knutesford, Lady Lurgan, Lady Evelyn Curzon, Lord Berkeley Paget, Lord and Lady Hindlip, Lord and Lady Carew, Lady Trowbridge, Lady Scott, Lady Ebury, Lord Sherborne, Lady Chetwode, Lady Stapleton, Lady Fitzgerald, Lady Trevelyan, Hon. H. Fitzclarence, Hon. Mrs. Trotter, Hon. Mrs. Chetwynd, Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Hamar Bass, Hon. Lionel Holland, Hon. George Allsopp, M.P., Hon. C. Brownlow, Sir George and Lady Russell, Sir Algernon and Lady Borthwick, Sir John and Lady Lubbock, General Sir John Ewart, Sir Robert and Lady Abercromby, Sir William and Lady Flower, Sir Kenneth Matherson, Sir Thomas Roe, Sir Henry Edwards, Sir R. and Lady Hardy, Sir Charles Grant, Mrs. Pascoe Grenfell, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur James, Mr. and Mrs. Thornewill, Colonel Evans, Mrs. Duncan Baillie, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Birkbeck, Rev. V. Boyle, Miss Peel, Miss Taylor, Mr. Oliver, Miss Bruce, Mr. and Mrs. Douro [?] Hoare, Colonel Mildmay, Mr. and Mrs. Hanbury, Mrs. George Bentinck, Mr. Algernon Peel, Mr. Hugh Arbuthnot, Mr. and Mrs. Curtis, Mr. Roger Eykyn, Mr. and Mrs. Madock, Mr. Bodley, Mr. and Mrs. Meadows, Mr. William Gillett, Mr. Sidney T. Hankey, Mr. A. R. Trotter, Colonel Frank Russell, Mrs. Randall Davidson, Mrs. Thomas Bruce, Mr. James Bruce, Mr. Gretton and Miss Gretton, Rev. Mr. Boothby, Mr. and Mrs. Charies Clay, Miss Bott, Misses Lyon, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Worthington, Mr. Pate. Mrs. Roper, Rev, G. Todd, Mrs. Cavendish BentInck, Mr. Fenwick, Mr., Mrs., and Miss Hall, Mrs. and Miss Campbell, Mrs. Charles Inge, Mrs. and Miss Eccles, Colonel and Mrs. Mort, Mrs. Anstruthers Thompson, Mrs. Roger Bass, Mrs. Evans, Mrs. Kingscote, Rev. F. H. and Mrs. Beaven, Mr. Robert Ratcliffe, Mrs. and Miss Ratcliffe, Mrs. Ellis, Miss Townsend, Mr. Levita, Mr. and Mrs. Bradley Martin, Mr. Brodie, Mr. and Mrs. Cummings Bruce, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Hay, Mr. Ralli, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Cumming, Mrs. Hungerford, Mrs. Philp [sic] Green, Mrs. Napier Stuart. Mr. H. Claude Hay, Mr. Daley, Miss Thormewill, Mr. and Mrs. Percy Laming, Mr. and Mrs. Allan Grand, Mr. John Ryder, Mr. L. Vernon Harcourt, Captain the Hon. Arthur and Mrs. Somerset, Mr. and the Mlisses Buckley, Mrs. and Miss WombweII, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Arbuthnot, Captain Baillie, Mrs. and Miss Levitt, Mr. and Mrs. Beaumont and Miss Beaumont, Dr. Scott, Field-Marshal Sir Patrick Grant and Miss Grant, &c.
Early in the evening Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Baillie left Chesterfield House, amid the hearty good wishes of everyone, for Albury Park, near Guildford, the Surrey seat of the Duke of Northumberland, which his grace had kindly lent them for the early days of the honeymoon. The "going-away" dress was of prune cloth, "doucet model," short to the waist, and tied in front with black satin ribbon; large frill collar of cloth and prune velvet, edged with black-and-silver passementerie and silk sleeves, and plain skirt, with velvet hat to correspond.
The bride's trousseau includes many handsome articles of the newest material, style, and workmanship. There are two lovely tea gowns in soft creamy materials hanging in graceful folds with fine lace, another in soft rose pink, and a third in glace silk, tinted with palest rose and blue. These were arranged by the Misses Robertson and Williams, who supplied the bridesmaid's [sic] dresses. Mrs. Mason supplied an exquisite blue satin evening gown, elaborately trimmed with silver; and Mr. Gustav Ellis, specialist in furs, arranged a superb quality Alaska sealskin coat constructed like a gentleman's. It is sixty inches long, and has a very large roll collar of rare Russian sable skins, and large cuffs, reaching nearly to the elbow of the same. The sealskins for this coat have been selected from a large number, and it is worked in so skilful a manner that not a single seam can be detected. A sealskin muff, made out of one entire cubskin, goes along with the coat. There is another black Russian sable muff made of four skins, and a necktie of one most perfect Russian sable skin, with stuffed head and full tail. The whole of these furs are lined with a mauve-shade silk, bearing a design of white roses and rosebuds. The lingerie was supplied by Messrs. Smith and Co., of Sloane Street, and was made in the finest French batiste, and trimmed with real Valenciennes lace. Some of the dresses are made with fichus of fine cambric, edged with the lace; others are made with zouaves, also trimmed with lace. The flannel skirts are very pretty, six having flounces of silk and lace insertion, and an edging of lace; and the others are handsomely embroidered in silk and edged with lace. The white skirts are also very lovely. Those intended for morning wear are trimmed with the finest French embroidery; while the evening skirts are profusely trimmed with French lace. There is also a pink silk petticoat, handsomely trimmed with lace. In addition, there are some elegant gowns for morning wear. One crimson zenana is trimmed with guipure, and a white one made in the same material is trimmed with lace. A pink surals made in a similar style is also trimmed with lace. The dressing jackets are made of French cambric and trimmed with lace, and the smarter ones in silk and laces of exquisite design. Messrs. A. Blackburne and Co., of South Audley Street, supplied a very fine old point de Venice flounce, four yards long and about ten inches wide, of the period of Louis XlV., an exceptionally fine piece; and another smaller piece, very fine and older. These are very rare specimens, and the finest productions of that period. The hats, arranged by Mous. [?] Rene, who supplied the bridesmaids' hats, included a dahlia velvet hat turned up from the face, with clusters of Parma violets and ornamented with black tips. A black felt, with cerise roses, Irish point and black tips, and a scarlet velvet, with sable trimmings, turned up at the side, &c., &c.
THE WEDDING PRESENTS.
The presents, which numbered between 600 and 700, were of a highly-varied character, and included a considerable number of great value and beauty. The bridegroom's gifts to the bride comprised — necklace of diamond links and diamond pin, gold bracelet, with name in diamonds; diamond and ruby ring, diamond and ruby pin, diamond wings for hair, gold sleeve-links, with enamelled monograms; gold ring, walking-stick. The bride's presents to the bridegroom were — gold sleeve-links, with diamond initials; gold sleeve-links, with cabuchon, sapphires, and rubies; red enamel heart scarf-pin, diamond and beryl pin, gold ring, with names. Lord Burton gave his daughter a magnificent pearl and diamond tiara, diamond and turquoise tiara, pearl and diamond Riviere necklace, bracelet, with large diamonds in clusters. Lady Burton: Diamond "Sun" Brooch. Her Royal Highness the Duchess of York sent her a white silk fan, embroidered in silver with painted subjects; while H.R.H. the Duchess of Fife and the Duke of Fife forwarded a ruby bangle and sapphire bangle. The following is the list of public presents:— The town of Burton-on-Trent, splendid double Riviere diamond necklace; Messrs. Bass and Co.'s staff at Burton, magnificent diamond-and-pearl bracelet; Messrs. Bass and Co.'s staff in London, magnifi- / cent bracelet, with large single Pearl surrounded by brilliants; officers past and present of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Prince of Wales's North Staffordshire Regiment, bracelet, with regimenal badge of Prince of Wales's feathers and Staffordshire knot in diamonds; the licensed victuallers of Burton-on-Trent, large silver loving cup; the tradesmen of Burton-on-Trent, eight massive silver candlesticks and large silver inkstand, with illuminated address; the tenants on the Rangemore estate, complete tea and coffee set, in richly-embossed silver, on massive silver tray, with white porcelain plaque in centre, accompanied by a richly-bound address, containing views of Rangemore; workmen at Messrs. Bass and Co.'s, Burton-on-Trent, magnificent massive silver candelabra; cooperage and middle yard, at Messrs. Bass and Co.'s, Burton-on-Trent, massive oval silver salver; tenants and employés [sic] of the Needwood and Berkley estates, handsome silver kettle, with illuminated address; tradesmen of Barton-under-Needwood, two fluted silver lamps, silver inkstand, and two silver candlesticks, and illuminated address; friends at Yoxall and neighboring villages, silver sugar basin and cream ewer; officer headquarters Highland Artillery, massive silver three-handled loving cup; traders of Inverness, magnificent carved-oak casket, with massive silver mounts and lock, and decorated with large Cairngorm, mounted in solver crown; from Glenquoich and Glengarry, magnificent large solid-silver stag, modelled from the 20-pointer shot by Lord Burton tenantry of the Dochfour estate, large ram's head mounted in silver and set with large Cairngorm; employés [sic] on the Dochfour estate, inkstand formed of a deer's foot and silver-tipped horns, with Cairngorm on top; tenants of the Redcastle and Tarradale estates, carved-oak inkstand, richly mounted in silver, with decoration of silver Scotch thistle throughout, and two large solid-silver inkbottles, with silver-paper case and taper brackets; employés [sic] on the Redcastle estate, two large and massive pierced-silver fruit dishes; crofters, tenants, and others on the the Glenelg estate, richly-chased silver bowl on stand;: employes on the Glenelg estate, embossed silver-gilt blotting-book; tenants on the Kingussie estates, large silver salver.
The gifts from private friends included Baron Hirsch de Gereuth, pearl buckle; Sir George and Lady Russell, antique ivory box; Lady Edward Cavendish, amethyst brooch; Ladies Barbara, Dorothy, and Anne Coventry, two silver pepper castors, [sic] the Duchess of Sutherland, china tea service; Hon. Tiny [sic] Wyndham, book; Duke of Marlborough, antique enamelled perfume bottle[;] Marquis and Marchioness of Londonderry, silver bowl; Hon Mrs. Meynall Ingram, Vienna jardiniere; Sir William V. Harcourt, complete silver toilet service; Earl and Countess of Romney, polished walnut bucket writng-board; Earl and Countess of Leven and Melville, moonstone and ruby medallion brooch and three pins; Earl of March, silver monogram menu hoiders; Sir G. Chetwode, antique box; Earl and Countess of Yarborough, long gold-and-pearl chain; Lord and Lady Berkeley Paget, clock; Hon. Gilbert Hastings, silver-gilt dish; Hon. Reginald Coventry, old silver windmill; Viscont Maitland, gold box; Theresa Countess of Shrewsbury, gold-and-enamel vinaigrette; Hon. Frederick and Mrs. Anson, luncheon basket; Blanche Countess of Rosslyn, two china vases; Viscountess Strathallan, print; Sir Willam Fraser, book; Lord George Stewart Murray, silver trays; Lady Emma Osborne, vase; Mr. and Mrs. J. Reid Walker, diamond brooch; Mr. George and Miss Barker, two very old china plates; Captain and Mrs. Malcolm Drummond, crystal and silver scent bottle; Mr. Gustav Ellis, leather muff case; Misses Hall, photo frame; Duke and Duchess of Athole, pair of Sevres jardinieres; Marchioness of Bath, double tortoiseshell and silver photo frame; Lord Rowton, silver pen tray; the Right Hon. James Lowther, silver box; Sir Thomas Roe, two silver candlesticks; Lady Stapleton, silver box; Viscount and Viscountess Wolseley, china casket; Hon. Frances Wolseley, old silver fish; Lord and Lady Cremorne, enamel dagger paper knife; the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Irish lace fan; Countess of Grosford and Lady Alice Stanley, Dresden china birds; Marquesa Santurce, old china box; Sir Henry Hartopp, gold casket; Sir Henry James, watch set in diamonds; Field-Marshal Sir Patrick and Miss Grant, silver-handled umbrella; Lord and Lady Tweedmouth, two gold-mounted scent bottles; Lady Angela Erskine, china tea plates; Lady Bagot, inlaid table; Lady Fanny Marjoribanks, silver crumb scraper; Mary Countess of Mar and Kellie, silver and tortoiseshell seal; Count and Countess Deym, leather bookcase; Lady Frances Baillie, Russian gold bracelet; Earl and Countess of Huntingdon, gold-topped scent bottle; Earl and Countess of Arran, pierced gold bon-bon dish; Lord and Lady Lurgan, silver pepper-box; Lord and Lady Newton, tortoiseshell box; Viscountess Hood, coloured print; Lochiel and Lady Margaret Cameron, silver fluted bottle; Viscount and Viscountess Portman, silver ink and taper stand; Earl and Countess of Ancaster, Worcester china vases; Countess Howe, parasol with crystal handle; Viscount Sudeley gold ball watch; Duchess of Devonshire, coffee and liqueur service on double tray; Lord Kenyan, leather writing book; Lord Vernon, blue silk en tout cas, with turquoise and diamond handle; Miss Violet Leigh, circular Chippendale table a mounted in brass; Lord and Lady Wynford, tortoiseshell and gold clock; Countess of Chesterfield, old carved stool; Dowager Lady Manners, silver dish; Lady Edith Ward, leather book slide; Lord and Lady Hindlip, turquoise and diamond chain; Archdeacon and Mrs. Lane, silver wine tester; Sir C. Foster, tortoiseshell and silver photo case; Dowager Lady Gresley, silver framed calendar; Sir Peter Walker, four antique salt-cellars and spoons; Sir Henry and Lady Wiggin, pair of crystal and silver scent-bottles; Lord Hothfield, silver pin-cushion; Earl and Countess Manvers, tortoiseshell and silver box; Earl and Countess of Covenatry, Sevres china etui; Hon. G. Allsopp, diamond Staffordshire knot; Marchioness of Tweeddale, silver salt-cellars; Earl and Countess of Harrington, diamond-and-ruby heart; Marquis of Tullibardine, silver clock and stand; Duchess of St. Albans, two silver trays; Sir W. and Lady Parker, pair of Old Bow candlesticks; Lady Trevelyan, silver book-marker; Lord and Lady Churchill, large Dresden china dish; Sir Henry Wilmot, silver box; Lady Manningham Buller, miniature silver candlesticks; Sir John and Lady Lubbock, two silver photograph-frames; Isabella Countess of Wilton, silver looking-glass; Countess of Loudon, scent-bottle; Hon. Mr. and Mrs. Dudley Leigh, silver fruit-dish; Viscount and Viscountees Curzon, silver of fruit-dish; Marquis of Camden, pair of silver candlesticks; Duchess of Marlborough, blotting-book and paper-case; Mr. and Hon. Mrs. Newdigate, silver cup; Lord Moreton, collie dog; Dowager Countess of Lichfield, silver quaich; Sir Algernon and Lady Borthwick, clock with diamond face; Countess of Lisburne, silver photograph-frame; Lady Vernon Harcourt, mother-o'-pearl seal; Lady Victoria Seymour and the Earl of Yarmouth, umbrella; Sir G. and Lady Chetwode, screen; Viscount Baring, antique pearl-and-enamel chain; Lady Blanche and Miss Daisy Baillie, diamond slides for the neck.
Among other donors of presents to the bride were: Miss Florence Chetswode, Mr. and Mrs. Leopold de Rothschild, Hon. F. N. Curzon, Hon. John Campbell, Hon. Mrs. Sackville West, Hon. Mrs. Grant, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Martineau, Mr. Brinton, Sir Charles Hall, Lady Ashburton, Colonel and Mrs. Kingscote, Sir Maurice and Lady Fitzgerald, Lady Decies, the Hon. Miss Beresferd, Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Eykyn, Mr. and Lady Aline Beaumont, Captain and Mrs. Walter Campbell, General and Mrs. Sotheby, Sir Archibald Edmonstone, Mr. St. John Meyrick, Viscount Deerhurst, Lady Dorothea Stewart Murray, Mr. Berkeley Levett, Colonel W. Walkcr, Lord and Lady William Neville, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Cavendish Bentinck, Lady Maria Ponsonby, Countess Bathurst, Lord and Lady Campbell; Lady Kathleen Cuffe, the Misses Carrington, Mrs. Mary West, the Rev. Gilbert and Mrs. Todd, Lady Helen Stewart Murray, Colonel and Mrs. Bowles, Hon. Mrs. Whitbread, Hon. Lady Grey Egerton, Hon. Mrs. Stirling, Mr. and Mrs. Locker Lampson, Mr. and Mrs. Cotton Curtis, Earl and Countess of Essex, Lady Sarah Wilson, Mr. Alfred de Rothschild, Mr. Gerald Dadley-Smith, Lady Dorchester, Sir John Ewart, Sir Ralph Blois, the Rev. A. G. and Mrs. Wakefield, Mr. Louis Vernon Harcourt, Sir Henry Edwards, Mr. Graham, Mr. and Mrs. Percy Laming, Mrs. Feilden, Mrs. Danson, Mr. and Mrs. Roger Bass, Mrs. Simnett, Mr. and Mrs. E. Kirkpatrick Hall, Lady Ileene Campbell, Lady Sophie Cadogan, Misses Townshend, Hon. Mrs. Ronald Greville, Misses Worthington, Mrs. and Mrs. A. O. Worthington, Mr. and Mrs. Arkwright, Sir Thomas and Lady Boughey, Mr. and Mrs. Meadows, Hon. Humphrey Sturt, Mr. Leonard Brassey, Lady Lovat and the Hon. Miss Fraser, Captain Cottrell, Mr. and Mrs. Hanbury, Ladies Mildred and Maud Ashley, Captain the Hon. Arthur Somerset, Lady Evelyn Cavendish, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Sassoon, Lady Hothfield, Hon. Richard and Mrs. Morton, Mr. and Mrs. Cavedish Bentinck, Mrs. H. Blundell Leigh, Lord and Lady Norreys, Mr. and Mrs. Miller Mundy, Baroness Hirsch de Gerenth, the Countess Cairns, Lady lnchquin, Lady Moreton, Countess Mensdorf, Lord and Lady Wimborne, Mr. and Lady Margaret Levett, General Manningham Bulier, the Hon. Lady Cotterell, the Postmaster-General (the Right Hon. Arnold Morley), Sir Henry and Lady Meysey-Thompson, Lady Bagot, Lord and Lady Magheramorne, Mrs. Arthur Paget, Lord and Lady Fitzhardinige, Lady Abinger, the Ladies Elizabeth, Christian, and Veronier [sic?] Bruce, Sir Rivers Wilson, Lord and Lady William Nevill, Mrs. Frederick Manningham Buller, Lord and Lady Brougham and Vaux, Earl and Countess Amherst, Captain Reginald Peel, Sir Humphrey and Lady de Trafford, Viscount and Viscountess Galway, Hon. Alwyne and Mrs. Greville, Lady Evelyn Curzon, Lady Edith Curzon, Mr. A. Allsopp, Mrs. Reginald Manningham Buller, Sir Alfred and Lady Haslam, Mr. Gerald Hardy, the Misses Moseley, Miss Muriel Wilson, Lord and Lady Blythswood, Sir Oswald and Lady Moseley, Lady Mary Wood, the Hon. Maud Grovenor, Mr. and Mrs. Ratcliffe, Sir Horace Farquhar, Colonel Paget Moseley, the Duchess of Roxburghe, Lord and Lady de Ramsay, Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Boothby, Mr. and Lady Jane Levett, Mr. and Mrs. Berresford Melville, Countess of Lisburne, Hon. Mrs. Thos. Bruce, Lady Scott, Hon. Mrs. Griffiths, Lord and Lady Middleton, Mrs. Wardle, Miss Plowden, the Marchioness of Tweeddale, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Ratcliff, Lady Julia Wombwell, Mr. and Mrs. Rlalph Sneyd, Mr. Berkeley Levett, Colonel. W. Walker, &c., &c.
The bridegroom was also the recipient of numerous costly gifts, the donors including the Bishop of Rochester, Lady Burton, Lady Conyngham, Mr. Mackintosh and Mrs. Mackintosh, Mr. and Hon. Mrs. West, Lady Sherborne, Captain and Hon. Mrs. Malcolm Drummond, Mr. A. Oakley Dennistonan, Mr. and Mrs. Pusey, Mrs. Tollemache, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Oswald, Lady Eleanor Brodie, Viscountess Glentworth and Colonel Hugh Baillie, Hon. Mrs. Thomas Bruce, Hon. Egremont Mills, Hon. Mrs. W. Colville, Lady Carew, Hon. George M. Curzon, Colonel the Hon. George and Mrs. Napier, Mrs. and Miss Wombwell, Colonel Cuthbert Larking, Hon. Helen Henniker, Hon. Mrs. Thomas Bruce and family, Lord Magheramorne, Mr. C. Lefroy, Lord and Lady William Cecil, Mr. and Lady Katherine Drummond, Mr. and Mrs. William Duncombe, Earl and Countess of Aylesford, Lord Lovat, Captain Pinney, Lord Sherborne, Colonel and Mrs. Russell, Mr. Geoffrey and the Hon. Mrs. Glyn, Mr. and Mrs. N. Hamilton Ogilvie, Lady Musgrave, Earl of Craven, Earl of Stradbroke, Sir F. Montetiore [sic?], Mr. and Lady Horatio Erskine, Colonel and Mrs. Herbert St. John Mildmay, Sir Robert and Lady Abercromby, Countess of Selkirk, Sir Charles and Lady Ross, Earl Cairns, Captain the Hon. E. [?] Dawson, Earl and Countess of Elgin, the Ladies Bruce, Mr. and Mrs. Bradley Martin, Mr. and Mrs. F. Hartmann, Mr. Henry Foley, Captain and Mrs. St. John Mildmay, Colonel Percy, Earl of Yarmouth, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pease, Countess of Kintore, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Arbuthnot, Mary Countess of Elgin and Lady Louise Bruce, Mrs. Ronald Baillie, Sir Henry and Lady MacAndrew, Hon. Lionel Holland, Hon. Walter and Mrs. Chetwynd, the Hon. the Master of Blantyre, Lord and Lady and the Hon. Misses Amherst, Captain Arthur Levita [?], Captain the Hon. C. E. St. Aubyn, &c., &c.
REJOICINGS AT BURTON.
Although the rejoicings at Burton-on-Trent did not partake of an official character, they were not the less hearty and sincere. Every thoroughfare exhibited the national emblem and its bit of bunting; but the principal decorations were on the vast and varied premises of Bass, Ratcliff, and Gretton, where pennants extended from block to block, and Venetian masts were dotted here and there, while every locomotive was bedecked. Immediately after the ceremony in London fog-signals and cannons were exploded as a feu de joie and the bells in town and country rang vigorously. During the afternoon over seventeen thousand school children were entertained at a bountiful tea, provided at the various school buildings in the borough. Every man and woman over sixty years of age received a basket of provisions, which included half a pint of Scotch whiskey, and the patients at the infirmary and the inmates of the work-house were right royally regaled, all at the expense of Lord and Lady Burton. The gifts of his lordship to the employés [sic] of the firm were a guinea to every clerk, ten shillings to the foremen, five shillings to every other man, and half-a-crown to all the boys. In the evening, the heads of departments and those of the clerks who preferred participation in the banquet to the guinea dined together, at the invitation of the parents of the bride, in St. Paul's Institute, which was elaborately embellished with the choicest exotics, floral and foliage. Here Mr. Roger Bass, whose father presided on a similar occasion when Lord and Lady Burton were married, took the chair, and Councillor Robinson was in the like position at the other cross table in the handsome hail. The Mayor (Alderman A. J Coxon), Lieutenant-Colonel Goer, and Mr. C. Sullivan, F.R.S., were among the company. The menu was of a recherché character. The principal toasts were "The Bride and Bridegroom," given by the Chairman; "Lord and Lady Burton," proposed by the Mayor, both of which met with an enthusiastic ovation; and "Bass Ratcliff, and Gretton," submitted by Alderman Canning, and acknowledged by Mr. J. Lambrick (secretary).
February 1894[edit | edit source]
March 1894[edit | edit source]
13 March 1894, Tuesday[edit | edit source]
Henrietta M. Paget was initiated into the Inner Order of the Golden Dawn (Gilbert 86 149).
23 March 1894, Friday[edit | edit source]
25 March 1894, Sunday[edit | edit source]
April 1894[edit | edit source]
Sometime in 1894 Annie Horniman visited Paris and consecrated the Ahathoor Temple, Temple number 7, of the Golden Dawn.
21 April 1894, Saturday[edit | edit source]
Opening of the season at Florence Farr's Avenue Theatre, funded by Annie E. F. Horniman with program and poster designed by Aubrey Beardsley, with G. B. Shaw's Arms and the Man, W. B. Yeats's The Land of Heart's Desire (Gibbs 115).
May 1894[edit | edit source]
3 May 1894, Thursday[edit | edit source]
<quote>At the large dinner given by William Waldorf Astor on May 3, 1894, to launch the Pall Mall Magazine, [Bret] Harte was seated between Frederick Sleigh Roberts, the hero of the Second Afghan War, and Rudyard Kipling</quote> (Axel Nissen, Bret Harte: Prince & Pauper. U P of Mississippi, 200: 230).
19 May 1894, Saturday[edit | edit source]
Edmund Yates, editor of The World, where G. B. Shaw was music critic, died of a heart attack at the Savoy Hotel (Gibbs 116).
23 May 1894, Wednesday[edit | edit source]
Mr. Schreiber attended the Duchess of Abercorn's ball at Hampden House, Green-street, Park-lane.
THE DUCHESS OF ABERCORN'S BALL.
Last night the Duchess of Abercorn gave a ball at Hampden House, Green-street, Park-lane. The garden and fountains were illuminated with electric light. Among the numerous company present were —
Princess Victor of Hohenlohe and Countess Valda Gleichen, the Russian Ambassador, the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador and Countess Deym, the Italian Ambassador, the Portuguese Minister, the Brazilian Minister, Count Albert Mensdorff, M. Lonyay, M. J. Decrais, M. Rucker Jenisch, Colonel V. Alvarez. M. de Falbe, the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch and Lady Katherine Scott, the Duke of Marborough, the Duchess of St. Albans, Lady Moyra Beauclerk and Miss Bromley-Davenport. the Duchess of Leeds and Lady Alexandra Godolphin Osborne, the Duchess of Athole and Lady Dorothea Stewart Murray, the Marchioness of Headfort and Miss Wilson Patten, the Marchioness of Blandford and Ladies Lilian and Norah Spencer Churchill, the Marchioness of Bristol and Lady K. Hervey and Lady Edith Curzon, the Marchioness of Lansdowne and Ladies Fitzmaurice, the Marchioness of Ormonde, Mr. Henry Chaplin, Mr. and Mrs. Goschen, Countess Grosvenor and Lady Constance Grosvenor, the Countess of Coventry and Lady Dorothy Coventry, Earl Beauchamp, the Earl of Arran and Lady Esther Gore, Lord and Lady George Hamilton, the Countess of Crawford and Lady Evelyn Lindsay, the Countess of Antrim and Lady Sybil M'Donnell, Countess Brownlow and Miss Carpenter, the Countess of Jersey and Lady Margaret Villiers, Countess Stanhope and Lady Catherine Stanhope, the Earl of Norbury, the Countess of Listowel and Lady Margaret Hare, the Countess of Lucan and Lady Rosaline Bingham, Countess Temple and Lady Gertrude Gore Langton, Countess Beauchamp and Lady Mary Lygon, the Dowager Countess of Airlie and Lady Griselda Ogilvie, Georgina Countess of Dudley and Lady Edith Ward, Viscountess Rainclilfe, Viscountess Newport, and the Hon. Miss Bridgeman, Viscount Brackley, Lady Wimborne and the Hon. Elaine Guest, Lord and Lady Alexander Kennedy, Lord Castlemaine, Lady Emily Van de Weyer and Miss Van de Wever, Lady Hood and the Hon. Miss Acland Hood, Lord and Lady W. Nevill, Lord G. Murray, Lord Tewkesbury, Lady Clinton and Hon. Miss Trefusis, Lord John Cecil, Captain the Hon. John Yorke and Mr. Bernard Yorke, Lady Hillingdon and the Hon. Miss Mills, Lady Tollemache and the Hon. Miss Tollemache, Lady Cowell and Miss Cowell, Lady Rothschild and Miss Rothschild, lady Magheramorne and Lady Mildred Ashley, Lady Ebury and Miss Grosvenor, Lady Leconfield, Lady Stratheden and Miss Campbell, the Dowager Lady Raglan and Miss Somerset, Lord Crichton, Lady Alice Ashley and Miss Ashley, the Ladies Wilbraham, Lord Ampthill, Lord Garioch, Lady Lucy Hicks Beach and Miss Hicks Beach, Lord Frederick Hamilton, Lady Norreys, Lady Algernon Gordon Lennox, Lady Templemore and Miss Chichester, Lord Roberts, V.C., and Miss Roberts, Lord Ernest Hamilton, Lady Feodore Sturt, Lord and Lady Sandhurst, Lady Cecily Gathorne-Hardy and Miss Gathorne-Hardy, Lady Alington and the Hon. Miss Sturt, Lady Archibald Campbell and Miss Campbell, the Right Hon. Sir William Hart Dyke, M.P., the Hon. Derek Keppel, the Hon. Mrs. Montague Curzon, the Hon. Cecil Brownlow, the Hon. Mrs. Richard Moreton and Miss Moreton, the Hon. Almeric FitzRoy, the Hon. Henry Coventry, the Hon. Mrs. Chandos Leigh and Miss Leigh, the Hon. Walter Boyle, the Hon. Mr. FitzClarence, the Hon. General and Miss Thesiger, the Hon. Hugh Grosvenor, Captain the Hon. H. Lambton, the Hon. Sidney and Lady Beatrix Herbert, Baroness de Brienen and Miss Margaret de Brienen, Mr. and Lady Harriet Lindsay and Miss Lindsay, Mr. Arthur Portman, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Maude, Sir Kenneth Matheson, Sir Charles Cranford Fraser, V.C., Sir Henry and Lady Loch and Miss Loch, Sir Ralph Blois, Mrs. George Forbes, and Miss Forbes, Mr. and Mrs. Algernon Grosvenor, Mr. John Thynne and Miss Thynne, Mrs. and Miss Magniac, Mrs. and Miss Lloyd Anstruther, Mr. Stopford, Mrs. and Miss Mildmay, Mr. Ernest Walker, Mr. C. P. Little, Mr. Farquhar, Mr. and Miss Venning, General and Mrs. Mackenzie, General and the Misses Ellis, General Keith Fraser and Miss Fraser, General and Mrs. Stewart and Miss Stewart, Colonel Campbell, Colonel Edgecumbe, Colonel and Mrs. Antrobus, Colonel and Mrs. Vivian, Colonel Crichton and Miss Crichton, Colonel Rowley, Colonel and Mrs. Needham, Captain Peel, Mr. and Miss Peel, Captain Spicer, Captain Hanbury, Captain Milner, Mr. M'Gregor, Mr. Claud Yorke, Mr. Alfred de Rothschild, Mr. Savile Lumley, Mrs. Wynne Finch, Mr. John Ryder, Mr. and Mrs. Barrington White. M. de Falbe, Mr. Robert Bruce, Mr. Hulse, M.P., Mr. Charles Bruce, Mr. Elliot, Mr. Harry Lawson, M.P., Mr. Schreiber, Mr. Ralli, Mr. Malcolm, Mr. R. W. Simpson, Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Skelllngton Smyth, Mr. Gregson, Mr. Leo Schuster, Mr. Maxfield, Mr. Dudley Smith, Mr. Verschoyle, Mr. Foley, Mrs. Arthur Wilson and Miss Muriel Wilson, Mr. Herbert Praed, Mrs. Dickson, Mr. G. Lascelles, Mr. H. Grenfell, Mr. Walrond, Mrs. Jocelyn Bagot, Mrs. Robert Crawshaw, Mr. Erskine, Mrs. and Miss Streatfeild, Mr. Godfrey Webb, Mrs. and Miss Cornwallis West, Mr. and Mrs. Baillie Hamilton, Mr. Corkran, Mr. Martineau, Mr. Christopher Sykes, Mr. Oswald Magniac, Mr. Vernon Magniac, Mr. Jarvis, Mr. Harvey, Mr. Hussey, Mrs. Edward Hope and Miss Leslie, Mr. Mark Kerr, Mrs. Leslie, Mr. George Lane-Fox and Miss Mary Lane-Fox, Mr. Graham Murray, M.P., Mr. Somerset Onslow, Mr. Ruggles Brise, Mr. Wyndham, Mr. Edward Sassoon, Mr. Lloyd Anstruther, Mr. Evelyn Cecil, Mr. Bridgeman, Mrs. Seymour Corkran and Miss Corkran, Mr. Fleetwood Wilson, Mr. Yorke, Miss Maud Wyndham, and many others.
June 1894[edit | edit source]
6 June 1894, Wednesday[edit | edit source]
18 June 1894, Monday[edit | edit source]
Wilfred Scawen Blunt has a description of the wedding of Miss Violet Maxse and Edward Herbert Gascoyne-Cecil, who is the Marquis of Salisbury's 4th — not 3rd — son:
18th June.—Miss Violet Maxse's wedding, an omnium gatherum, social, political, and literary. The bridegroom, Lord Salisbury's third son, brought the Tories; Maxse. the Liberal Unionists, with Chamberlain and the rest; the young lady, her friends. I counted six poets in the church, including myself, Alfred Austin, George Meredith, Alfred Lyall, Oscar Wilde, and Edwin Arnold. I found myself next to Lyall, who told me the latest joke about the Laureateship. 'If one must have a Laureate, choose the least of evils, choose Austin.' At the bride's house the crowd was immense, and I found myself for ten minutes flattened like a herring between Lord Salisbury and a tall Dutch clock. Truly matrimony makes strange pew fellows.:177
26 June 1894, Tuesday[edit | edit source]
There was apparently a regular celebration of Arthur Collins' birthday, 26 June, by Bret Harte, George Du Maurier, Arthur Sullivan, Alfred Cellier, Arthur Blunt, and John Hare (Nissen, Axel. Brent Harte: Prince and Pauper: 239. ). Choosing 1885–1902 as the dates because those apparently are the dates of the close relationship between Harte and Collins, ending in Harte's death in 1902.
July 1894[edit | edit source]
19 July 1894, Thursday[edit | edit source]
<quote>Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales, Princesses Victoria and Maud, and Princess Louise Duchess of Fife, with whom was the Duke of Fife, honoured the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire by their presence at dinner at Devonshire House last evening. There were present to meet the illustrious guests the Russian Ambassador, the Portuguese Minister, the Duchess of Manchester, Earl and Countess de Grey, the Karl and Countess of Gosford, the Countess of Dudley, Count Albert Mensdorff, Viscount and Viscountess Curzon, Lord Houghton, Lord Charles Montagu, Mr. and Lady Evelyn Cavendish, Sir Horace Farquhar, and General Ellis and the Hon. Mrs. Charles Hardinge, in waiting on the Prince and Princess of Wales.
A ball followed the dinner. The gardens were prettily illuminated, and a marquee was erected for supper. Among the guests were: —
The Duke of Cambridge, attended by Colonel FitzGeorge, Prince Francis of Teck, Prince and Princess Edward of Saxe-Weimar, the Russian Ambassador, the Austrian Ambassador and Countess Deym, the United States Ambassador and Madame Bayard, the Brazilian Minister, the Danish Minister and Madame de Bille, Princess Pless and Miss Cornwallis West, Prince John del Drago, the Marquesa and Madlle. de Joincourt, the Duke of Marlborough, the Duchess of Leeds and Ladies Osborne, the Duchess of Buccleuch and Lady Katherine Scott, the Duchess of Bedford, the Duchess of Westminster, the Marchioness of Salisbury, the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne, the Marchioness Breadalbane, the Marchioness of Blandford and the Ladies Spencer Churchill, the Marchioness of Zetland, the Marquis and Marchioness of Granby, the Marchioness of Ormonde, the Earl and Countess of Dunraven and the Ladies Wyndham Quinn, the Earl of Essex, the Earl of Kerry, Earl Granville, the Earl of Sandwich, the Earl of Chesterfield, the Earl of Cork, the Earl of Lonsdale, the Earl and Countess of Coventry and the Ladies Barbara and Dorothy Coventry, the Earl of Sefton, Countess Spencer, the Earl and Countess of Erroll and Lady Mabel Core, the Earl of March and Lady Evelyn Cordon Lennox, Countess Howe and Lady Evelyn Curzon, Countess Grosvenor and Lady Constance Grosvenor, the Earl and Countess of Ilchester and Miss Roche, Countess Cadogan and Lady Sophie Cadogan, the Earl of Kilmorey, the Earl of Scarbrough, the Earl and Countess of Lathom and Ladies Wilbraham, the Countess of Derby and Lady Isabel Stanley and Lady Emily Lytton, Countess Gianotti and Mesdlles. Gianotti, Countess Granville and Lady Victoria Leveson-Gower, the Earl of Feversham and Lady Ulrica Duncombe, Earl Cairns, the Due de Falba, Blanche Countess of Rosslyn and Lady Angela St. Clair Erskine, the Countess of Antrim, Countess Henry Lutzow, the Countess of Westmorland, the Countess of Ancaster and Lady Cecilie Willoughby, the Countess of Enniskillen and Lady Kathleen Cole, the Earl and Countess of Minto, Count Kinsky, Baron de Hirsch, Viscountess Falmouth, Viscountess Hood, Lord and Lady Iveagh, Lord and Lady Hindlip, Lord Ampthill, Lady de Ramsey, Lady Archibald Campbell and Miss Campbell, Lady Helen Munro [?] Ferguson, Lady Evelyn Ewart, Lord and Lady Rothschild and the Hon. Miss Rothschild, Lady Sandhurst, Lord Lamington, Lady Lurgan, Lady Anne Lambton, Lord Richard Nevill, Lord Rowton, Lady Edward Cavendish, Lady Alington and the Hon. Mabel Sturt, Lord Stanley, Lady Lilian Wemyss, Lady Sarah Wilson, Lord and Lady Burton, Lady Gerard, Lord and Lady William Nevill, Lord and Lady Edward Cecil, Lady Ampthill and the Hon. Constance Russell and Miss Grosvenor, Lady Brassey, Lady Clementine Walsh, Lord Berkeley Paget, Lady Wimborne and the Hon. Elaine Guest, Lord Ennismore, Lady Beatrice Hare, Lord Molyneux, Lady Norreys, Lord Willoughby, Lady Buckley and Miss Buckley, Lady Lister Kaye, the Right Hon. H. H. Asquith. M.P., and Mrs. Asquith, the Right Hon. Sir William Hart Dyke and Miss Hart Dyke, Mr. Hulse, M.P., and Mrs. Hulse, Mr. Mildmay, M.P., the Hon. Schomberg M'Donnell, the Hon. G. Browne Guthrie, Captain the Hon. H. Lambton, the Hon. H. and Mrs. Bourke, the Hon. Sir Stafford and Lady Northcote, Colonel the Hon. William and Mrs. Carrington, the Hon. Hugh Grosvenor, the Hon. F. Leveson-Gower, the Hon. Humphrey Sturt, the Hon. Henry Trefusis, the Hon. George and Mrs. Keppel, the Hon. Cecil Brownlow, the Hon. Walter Boyle, Sir Hubert Miller, Sir Edgar and Lady Helen Vincent, Sir Bartle Frere, Sir Edward Hamilton, Sir George Arthur, Sir Augustus Paget, Sir George and Lady Julia Wombwell and Miss Wombwell, Sir Henry Calcraft, Mr. and Lady Rose Leigh, Mr. and Lady Aline Beaumont, M. J. Decrais, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Grenfell, Mr. Alfred de Rothschild, Mr. Christopher Sykes, Mr. and Mrs. Naylor Leyland, Mr. C. Eliot, Captain Stracey, Mrs. Vaughan, Mr. Arthur Sassoon, Mrs. Leopold Rothschild, Mr. Reuben Sassoon and the Misses Sassoon, and Mr. Claude Hay. </quote> ("Ball at Devonshire House." The Morning Post Friday, 20 July 1894: 5 [of 8], Col. 3B).
20 July 1894, Friday[edit | edit source]
Muriel Wilson was at Easton Lodge with the Earl and Countess of Warwick, not sure which Saturday, the 21st or the 28th: <quote>The Earl and Countess of Warwick have been entertaining since July 20th at Easton Lodge, the Duke of Sutherland, the Earl of Lonsdale, Lord Willoughby de Broke, Earl Cairns, Sir Henry and Lady Evelyn Ewart, Mr. and Mrs. Tower (Weald Hall), Mr. and Mrs. R. Woodhouse, Lord and Lady Alexander Paget, Mr. Cecil Grenfell, Col. and Mrs. Ralph Vivian, the Hon. R. G. Verney, and Lady Eva Greville. — On Saturday the party at Easton Lodge included the Duke of Marlborough, the Earl of Chesterfield. Lord Wolverton, Viscount Dungarvon, the Hon. Lancelot and Mrs. Lowther, Sir Charles Hartopp, Baron Hirsch, Mr. and Mrs. Adrian Hope, Mrs. W. Farnnam, Mr. and Mrs. J. Menzies, Miss Muriel Wilson, and Lady Angela St. Clair Erskine.</quote> (1894-08-03 Essex County Chronicle).
23 July 1894, Monday[edit | edit source]
Muriel Wilson attended a ball at Stafford House: <quote>The dance at Stafford House was also rather disappointing. It is too big a house for a small dance, and the beautiful rooms were too empty to look very lively, though there were any number of pretty frocks and pretty women; and the Duchess herself looked sweetly young and lovely in accordion-pleated white, with a very short skirt and narrow green bands put rather picturesquely on the bodice. Lady Algernon Lennox looked very well indeed in rose-pink with clouds of shaded chiffon; and Lady Angela Erskine was chatting away to Miss Muriel Wilson, who was in fashionable black and white.</quote> (1894-07-25 Weston-super-Mare Gazette)
26 July 1894, Thursday[edit | edit source]
Several members of the Wilson family attended the wedding of Mr. Gerald Dudley Smith and Lady Barbara Coventry. Muriel Wilson accompanied Mrs. Arthur Wilson, who was in black; Muriel “wore a dainty gown of pale yellow and white picture hat” (Col. 3a). Fanny Ronalds was there, as were many of the cultural elite, familiar names. Reception at the Savoy Restaurant. Muriel Wilson gave the bride a “pair of silver bon-bon dishes; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wilson “a pair of chased silver candlesticks”; Mrs. Kenneth Wilson a “claret jug silver mounted” (1894-07-29 Worcester Journal 5, Col. 5c).
August 1894[edit | edit source]
18 August 1894, Saturday[edit | edit source]
Muriel Wilson and Hon. Willoughby de Eresby announce their engagement, wedding set for November sometime: <quote>The announcement of the engagement the Earl of Ancaster's son with Miss Muriel Wilson, the young daughter of Mr and Mrs Arthur Wilson, of Tranby Croft, Yorkshire, has aroused great interest in London society. Lord Willoughby de Eresby, who, on his mother's side, is a grandson of the tenth Marquis of Huntly, is 27 years of age, and graduated at Cambridge as M.A. in 1892. He is also a County Councillor for the Kesteven Division of Lincoln, and unsuccessfully contested Boston in 1892. Lord Willoughby is the eldest of four brothers, one of whom is lieutenant in the 2d Battalion Scots Guards, and another lieutenant in the lst Battalion of the Coldstream Guards. The eldest of Lord Wiiloughby's six sisters is the wife of Sir Peter Ewert. Miss Muriel Wilson, who is the youngest member of the family, made her debut in society two years ago. Though still a young girl, she is quite a notable figure in London society, her remarkable beauty having caused her to be singled out for an unusual amount of attention. Miss Wilson's fianceis heir the title and estates of an earldom created in 1892, until which time the present Earl was known as Lord or Baron Willoughby de Eresby. In addition to Normanton Park, Stamford, and the large estates in Lincolnshire and in Wales, the Earl owns Drummond Castle, Crieff. — London Correspondent.</quote> (1894-08-18 Dundee Evening Telegraph)
Muriel Wilson and Hon. Willoughby de Eresby announce their engagement, wedding set for November sometime: <quote> The announcement of the engagement the Earl of Ancaster's son with Miss Muriel Wilson, the young daughter of Mr and Mrs Arthur Wilson, of Tranby Croft, Yorkshire, has aroused great interest in London society. Lord Willoughby de Eresby, who, on his mother's side, is a grandson of the tenth Marquis of Huntly, is 27 years of age, and graduated at Cambridge as M.A. in 1892. He is also a County Councillor for the Kesteven Division of Lincoln, and unsuccessfully contested Boston in 1892. Lord Willoughby is the eldest of four brothers, one of whom is lieutenant in the 2d Battalion Scots Guards, and another lieutenant in the lst Battalion of the Coldstream Guards. The eldest of Lord Wiiloughby's six sisters is the wife of Sir Peter Ewert. Miss Muriel Wilson, who is the youngest member of the family, made her debut in society two years ago. Though still a young girl, she is quite a notable figure in London society, her remarkable beauty having caused her to be singled out for an unusual amount of attention. Miss Wilson's fianceis heir the title and estates of an earldom created in 1892, until which time the present Earl was known as Lord or Baron Willoughby de Eresby. In addition to Normanton Park, Stamford, and the large estates in Lincolnshire and in Wales, the Earl owns Drummond Castle, Crieff. — London Correspondent.</quote> (1894-08-18 Dundee Evening Telegraph).
<quote>Miss Muriel Wilson, the youthful daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wilson, of Tranby Croft, who is to marry Lord Willoughby D'Eresby, is quite a young girl — she was still in the schoolroom at the time of the famous baccarat case—but has been made much of in London society since her debut little more than a year ago. She is a charmingly pretty girl, whose dark picturesque beauty is always set off by the most becoming of frocks and large picture hats. Miss Wilson has been the frequent companion her pretty sister-in-law, Mrs. “Jack” Wilson, at whose wedding she figured as a bridesmaid.</quote> (1894-08-20 Nottingham Evening Post).
But see 18 September 1894, when the announcement is that it has been called off, and 6 October 1894 for more discussion of Muriel's and other "broken engagements."
27 August 1894, Monday[edit | edit source]
Summer Bank Holiday
September 1894[edit | edit source]
Sometime in 1894, September, Henry M. Paget was initiated into the Golden Dawn.
18 September 1894, Tuesday[edit | edit source]
<quote>We are informed that the proposed marriage which has been announced between Miss Muriel Wilson, of Tranby Croft, and Lord Willoughby de Eresby will not take place.</quote> (1894-09-18 Hull Daily Mail).
October 1894[edit | edit source]
6 October 1894, Saturday[edit | edit source]
More on the broken engagement from the Dublin Irish Society: <quote>It is curious how many arranged marriages have been broken off of late. The announcement that the alliance between Lord Willoughby de Eresby and Miss Muriel Wilson was not to take place caused no small surprise. At Doncaster Races, one short week before this announcement appeared in print, the young pair were together and apparently as happy as possible. Conjecture is rife as to what the cause of the rupture may be. That in this case it is not a question of money is tolerably certain, for even had Miss Wilson not a considerable dower, and £4,000 a year was the sum it was said her father was to settle on her, Lord Willoughby is very well off and little likely to give up his fiancee for any money consideration, as he is a very manly, clever, promising and fine charactered young fellow. Some people say it was a lover’s quarrel, that Miss Wilson, who is a spoiled beauty, refused to sumbit [sic] to her lover’s wishes on some points seeming to him all important and that a rupture ensued. It is be hoped that the young people, if they are really fond of each other, will effect a compromise and not risk wrecking their lives. It is believed that Lord and Lady Ancaster, although they had hoped that their son would have chosen a wife of an old aristocratic family like their own, had sensibly given into his wish to marry Miss Muriel Wilson and were prepared to receive her as their daughter-in-law. Mr Wilson’s fortune was acquired through his shipping interests in Hull, and his place, Tranby Croft, became celebrated through the Baccarat incident in which the Prince of Wales was so unfortunately mixed up. Miss Muriel Wilson is quite a lovely girl, with dark hair, dark, soft, beautifully shaped eyes, a perfect complexion, and a good figure.</quote> (1894-10-06 Dublin Irish Society).
19 October 1894[edit | edit source]
Russian Emperor Alexander III died, to be replaced by Tsar Nicholas II.
31 October 1894, Wednesday[edit | edit source]
November 1894[edit | edit source]
5 November 1894, Monday[edit | edit source]
Guy Fawkes Day
December 1894[edit | edit source]
19 December 1894, Wednesday[edit | edit source]
Concert at the Wilson's Cricket Club: Wilson's Cricket Club, according to this writer, <quote>is almost as much in the eyes of the members of the firm a branch of their business as any other department</quote>. <quote>There were present from Tranby Croft, Mrs Arthur Wilson, Miss Muriel Wilson, Mr Kenneth Wilson, Mr Clive H. Wilson, Mrs Travers, Miss Wilkinson, Miss Terry, Miss Egginton, and Mr. A. Smith; whilst from Warter Priory the party was Mr C. H. Wilson, M.P., Mr C. H. Wilson, Miss E. [Wilson], Mr Cecil Wellesley, and Mr P. Hodgson (Beverley)</quote> (“Wilsons’ Cricket Club Concert.” Hull Daily Mail 19 December 1894, Wednesday: 3[of 4], Col. 7a [of 7]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000323/18941219/012/0003 (accessed July 2019).
25 December 1894, Tuesday[edit | edit source]
26 December 1894, Wednesday[edit | edit source]
Works Cited[edit | edit source]
- [1894-07-25 Weston-super-Mare Gazette] "Society Gossip.” Weston-super-Mare Gazette 25 July 1894, Wednesday: 3 [of 4], Col. 4a [of 6]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001444/18940725/043/0003 (accessed July 2019).
- [1894-07-29 Worcester Journal] "Marriage of Mr. Gerald Dudley Smith and Lady Barbara Coventry.” Worcester Journal 29 July 1894, Saturday: 5 [of 8], Cols. 3a–6a [of 8]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000150/18940728/044/0005 (accessed June 2019).
- [1894-08-03 Essex County Chronicle] "Country and Other Items.” Essex County Chronicle 3 August 1894, Friday: 5 [of 8], Col. 7a [of 8]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000322/18940803/034/0005 (accessed July 2019).
- [1894-08-20 Nottingham Evening Post] "Miss Muriel Wilson.” Nottingham Evening Post 20 August 1894, Monday: 2 [of 4], Col. 4b [of 7]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000321/18940820/004/0002 (accessed July 2019).
- [1894-08-18 Dundee Evening Telegraph] "Engagement of Hon. Willoughby de Eresby.” Dundee Evening Telegraph 18 August 1894, Saturday: 2 [of 4], Col. [of ]. British Newspaper Archive (accessed July 2019).
- [1894-09-18 Hull Daily Mail] "Miss Muriel Wilson.” Hull Daily Mail 18 September 1894, Tuesday: 3 [of 4], Col. 5 [of 7]a. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000323/18940918/006/0003 (accessed June 2019).
- [1894-10-06 Dublin Irish Society 1894-10-06 Dublin Irish Society] "Our London Letter.” Dublin Irish Society 6 October 1894, Saturday: 20 [of 30], Col. 2c-3a [of 3]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001939/18941006/073/0020 (accessed June 2019).
- Gibbs, Anthony Matthew. A Bernard Shaw Chronology. Author Chronologies, Ed. Norman Page. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave, 2001.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- "Marriage of Miss Bass and Mr. Baillie." Birmingham Daily Post 01 February 1894 Thursday: 5 [of 8], Cols. 6a–8c [of 8]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000033/18940201/015/0005.
- "The Duchess of Abercorn's Ball." Morning Post 24 May 1894, Thursday: 5 [of 10], Col. 7a–b [of 7]. British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000174/18940524/081/0005.
- Blunt, Wilfrid Scawen. My Diaries: 1888 to 1900. M. Secker, 1900. Google Books https://books.google.com/books?id=5qBCAAAAIAAJ. Volume 1 of My Diaries: Being a Personal Narrative of Events , 1888–1914.