La Trobe University
La Trobe University is a multi-campus university in Victoria, Australia. The main campus of La Trobe is located in the Melbourne suburb of Bundoora; two other major campuses are located in the Victorian cities of Bendigo, and the NSW-Victorian border centre of Albury-Wodonga. The university has a number of smaller campuses at Mildura, Shepparton, and Beechworth, as well as a campus in Melbourne's Central business district.
La Trobe offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses across five major faculties, covering all the main learning areas: Education; Health Sciences; Humanities and Social Sciences; Business, Economics and Law; and Science, Technology and Engineering.
Engagement with Wikimedia
La Trobe University has no formal arrangement of policy regarding engagement with Wikimedia projects.
Over 2012 and 13, a small number of subjects and courses in the Faculty of Health Sciences started a pilot of open education practices using Wikiversity. Their work can be viewed on the category page: La Trobe Health Sciences.
In February 2013, the Bendigo campus of La Trobe University hosted an all day Wikipedia editing workshop, in response to a request from the Bendigo Community Health Service.
In March 2013, a small group of La Trobe University staff convened an all day open conference on the questions of open education, to coincide with the international open education week. They used Wikiversity and Commons to organise, promote and document the event.
In August 2013, the Faculty of Health hosted another all day open conference, this time on Activities, assignments and assessment. The format of 10 minute web streamed and recorded presentations, captured a number of methods that engaged Wikimedia projects.
In November 2013, the Faculty of Health hosted a half day open conference, this time on Blended learning and online teaching. The format of pre recorded interviews and streamed and recorded panel discussions on the day, captured a number of methods that engaged the Wikimedia projects.
- Nick Stone used Wikiversity to develop Indigenous and Intercultural Health, citing openness and the use of Wikiversity as key to winning the partnership of local indigenous representatives.
- Dennis Wollersheim assigned Health Informatics students to edit Wikipedia articles, in the 5th year subject Electronic Health Records.
- Teresa Iacono documented the Ageing and intellectual disability forum on WIkiversity
These La Trobe University staff accounts have contributed to Wikiversity:
Works on Wikiversity
- Snapshot journal
- Inquiry-based learning
- La Trobe University
- Activities, assignments and assessment
- Category:La Trobe University/Staff
- Category:La Trobe Health Sciences
- Activities, assignments and assessment/AAAOpenConf2013
- Appraisal of online tutorial materials
- Creating Accessible Courses
- Intercultural Learning & Teaching
Learn more about La Trobe University