Space and Global Health/Open Source
Open Source Software - Basic Colllection[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
According to the Open Community Approach the resource mentioned on the website of Expert Focus Group for Space and Global Health (former AT6FUI) transfered from http://at6fui.weebly.com to Wikiversity for letting the community to engage add and edit those resources.
Open Source Alternatives[edit | edit source]
With the learning resource you will be able to select OpenSource Software alternatives for commercial software for some tasks in your agency/institution or for easy access in capacity building programs.
For special software types for spatial public health see the following sections:
Geographic Information System[edit | edit source]
- Quantum GIS - recommended for beginners
- GRASS GIS with R-Statistics Package for Spatial Analysis. for advanced users.
- EpiGRASS is a software for visualizing, analyzing and simulating of epidemic processes on geo-referenced networks.
- SAGA GIS (System for Automated Geoscientific Analyses)
Spatial Analysis[edit | edit source]
Questionnaires[edit | edit source]
- LimeSurvey for Online Questionaires
- e-Question and SDAPS for studies where [digital mobile device]s are not applicable and the questionnaire should be automatically processed by scanning the document.
Augmented Reality Software[edit | edit source]
- MixARE Mixed Augmented Reality Engine (Make Health Risk and Health Resources visible in the camera image of mobile devices)
Statistics Software including Spatial Analysis[edit | edit source]
- SOFA Statistics Open For All - For beginners with minor statical knowledge doing the basic statistic for your data.
- R Project for Statistical Computing in conjunction R-Studio and KnitR for Dynamic Document Generation and R as default statistical software package that has an interface between R and GRASS (see Survey by Markus Neteler)
Numeric Software[edit | edit source]
The following tools can be used for numerical analysis of spatial data and image analysis of satellite images
- Octave (Build with MathLab Compatibility in Mind - but there are differences that could help you to migrate from MathLab to Octave)
- SciLab Free Open Source Software for Numerical Computation
Crowd Sourcing[edit | edit source]
- Epicollect+ (Spatial Epidemiology): http://www.epicollect.net/
- GeoTag-X: http://www.geotagx.org/
- Crowdcrafting: https://crowdcrafting.org/
Literature Management[edit | edit source]
For research Collection of Reference for Spatial Pubic Health can be maintained as a Group in Zotero to share relevant publications for Public Health Risk Mitigation.
- Zotero is a free, easy-to-use browser plugin and Office Tool to help you collect organize cite and share your research sources (Zotero ScreenCast Introduction).
Created a Spatial Public Health Group for the AT6 Follow-Up Initiative
Web-based Presentation[edit | edit source]
- AudioSlides4Web - uses DZSlides by Paul Rouget
- Wiki2Reveal - uses RevelJS by Hakim El Hattab
[edit | edit source]
The navigation system in the AT6FUI is used as (usually electronic) system that aids in navigation and used to provide routing to public health risk mitigation resource or provide risk and resource information on mobile devices like smart phones.
- ArgoUML is the leading open source UML modeling tool and includes support for all standard UML 1.4 diagrams. It runs on any Java platform and is available in ten languages.
- GanttProject (OpenSource Linux, Windows, Mac)
Video Conferencing for Virtual Meeting[edit | edit source]
According to the Low-Cost Concept of the Meeting it will be necessary to provide an Environment for Feedback and Questions after Playback of the presentation.
Flashmeeting was used for Expert Meeting at the UN-Campus in Bonn and for AT6FUI 2012. If you want to create meeting base on the Open Community Approach see current OpenSource alternatives for Videoconferencing.
An OpenSource-Solution will be provided by OpenMeeting.
- Screencast of OpenMeeting Installation on Ubuntu Linux
- Screencast of Key Feature of OpenMeeting
- Homepage: http://www.openmeetings.de
- Download OpenMeetings Software
Video[edit | edit source]
Video Editing Software[edit | edit source]
Pre-Installed on your Computer or OpenSource)
- Windows Movie Maker Windows Default Video Editor
- VideoLAN Movie Creator for Windows, Mac, Linux, License OpenSource
- KDEnlive for Linux, Mac with MacPorts, Window with USB-Boot-System, License OpenSource
- iMovie for Mac, preinstalled on your Mac,
If you need more support, use YouTube Screencast Videos:
- KDEnlive Screencast English
- KDEnlive Screencast on Windows Computers with USB-Thumbdrive English
- iMovie Screencast English
- VideoLAN Movie Creator Spanish
- OBS Studio - Screencasting on Linux Windows and MacOSX
ScreenCast PresentationA ScreenCast is a video that records the content on the screen (Fullscreen or Area on the Screen) digitally without a real camera with additional audio comments.
- ScreenCast on Windows with CamStudio (OpenSource)
- ScreenCast on Linux with KDesktopRecorder on Ubuntu (OpenSource)
- ScreenCast on Mac with Quicktime (Pre-installed on your Mac)
The ScreenCasts are most appropriate for showing other users how to perform a certain Spatial Public Health Task with a Software or digital Tool.
Questionnaires: Automated Evaluation of Paper & Pencil Questionnaires[edit | edit source]
In some case paper & pencil questionnaires are the only option for collecting data about spatial patterns of risk and resource, if digital devices cannot be applied.
- Create a Questionnaire in LaTeX or LibreOffice
- Print Questionnaire on paper
- Use Questionnaire for Data Collection
- Scan the paper & pencil questionnaires
- Automatic evaluation and get the CVS-File
The Open Source Solution SDAPS is providing this solution to you.
Open Source Speech Recognition & Telephony Server[edit | edit source]
Speech Recognition is helpful for automated public health support that can be performed by a Telefony Server like Asterisk. A personal response performed by humans experts are expensive.
Background[edit | edit source]
- Automated response could guide the caller by speech recognition to an audio comments that supports Public Health Risk Mitigation. This provides free time for a human expert on the phone to deal with Public Health Cases that cannot be automated.
- Create machine readible reports just by phone calls.
- Widely spread IT-equiment in developing countries is the mobile phone. Providing Public Health Support needs to reach people exposed to public health risk via IT-infrastructure that is available for the people. So a telefony interface is needed for public health risk mitigation strategies.
Software for Telefony Server & Speech Recognition[edit | edit source]
- Simon Speech Recognition Chief Developer: Peter Grasch (since 2018) (Github: Sources)
- Video: Simon Dictation Demo
- Asterisk Telefony Server
- Speech Recognition API in Asterisk
Text exists with the Google API for Speech Recognition together with Asterisk. This is not an Option for Public Health Risk Mitigation, because of Security Reasons. In case of application of Google-API the audio data of callers are submitted to Google Servers.