Religious Studies, also known as the study of religion, is an academic field devoted to research into religious beliefs, behaviors, and institutions. It describes, compares, interprets, and explains religion, emphasizing systematic, historically based, and cross-cultural perspectives.
While Theology attempts to understand the transcendent or supernatural according to traditional religious accounts, religious studies takes a more scientific and objective approach independent of any particular religious viewpoint. Religious Studies thus draws upon multiple academic disciplines and methodologies including anthropology, sociology, psychology, philosophy, and history of religion.
The School of Religious Studies works in close cooperation with the School of Theology.
School news[edit | edit source]
- 9 September 2006 - Original Division (under Theology) founded!
- 4 August 2022 - updated to School of Religious Studies! --- School:Religious Studies
Active participants[edit | edit source]
The histories of Wikiversity pages indicate who the active participants are. If you are an active participant in this division, you can list your name here (this can help small divisions grow and the participants communicate better; for large divisions a list of active participants is not needed).
- SotanScholar (discuss • contribs)
- Since 27 August 2014 with Creationism --Marshallsumter (discuss • contribs) 21:06, 13 August 2022 (UTC).
- dchmelik (discuss • contribs) up to 26 November 2017!
- DErnestWachter (discuss • contribs), email:email@example.com
Inactive participants[edit | edit source]
- davymast (discuss • contribs)
- vectoreq (discuss • contribs)
- vanguard (discuss • contribs)
- melpomenon (discuss • contribs)
Things you can do[edit | edit source]
Head over to the school page and help out! --- School:Religious Studies