What is Meta?
Meta, or Wikimedia's Meta-wiki, at http://meta.wikimedia.org, is a wiki-based web site that is auxiliary to all the Wikimedia Foundation projects. This includes wikipedia, wikiversity, wikibooks, wiktionary, and wikiquote.
First created as Meta-Wikipedia in November 2001, it now serves several distinct roles:
- Discussion and formulation of the Wikimedia projects, including Wikipedia, and in particular policy discussion.
- A forum for personal essays relating to a wikimedia project that are not necessarily NPOV.
- A place to organise and prepare content, to discuss interlanguage co-ordination issues.
- A place to coordinate the development process.
- A help guide to using the MediaWiki software.
Meta currently serves as one of the major avenues of discussion for Wikimedians including Wikipedians, the others being the mailing lists, the IRC channels, and the talk pages of individual articles and users. Meta is an independent and autonomous project from the English language Wikipedia and thus has its own policies and customs, which often differ from those here. Also until the arrival of single login, you will need to create another account at Meta.
Originally focused on the English language version of Wikipedia, Meta has, since its upgrade to Wikipedia's custom MediaWiki software, become a multilingual discussion forum used by all Wikimedia language communities.