This is a unified categorization guide for the School of History.
Introduction[edit | edit source]
The categorization of History pages is very important, and should be considered a high priority for the School—the Browse feature at Wikiversity relies 100% on proper categorization, as does the History Portal. Unless projects and Departments are properly categorized, new participants are much less likely to find the content they're looking for, and are less likely to contribute to the School. It's worth noting that Portal:History gets significantly more traffic than School:History does.
Categorizing Guidelines[edit | edit source]
General Guidelines[edit | edit source]
- No History pages should be placed in Category:History except for major portal pages. All other History pages should be filed under the History sub-categories (as follow).
- Where appropriate, all projects should be categorized under each of the following three categories (in a relevant sub-category):
- Category:Historical Subjects by Area (for the region the project applies to)
- Category:Historical Subjects by Period (for the time period the project took place in)
- Category:Historical Subjects by Topic (for any topical categories which might apply)
- Not all of these categories will always apply—a Period category is unlikely to be helpful for a History project spanning centuries, for example.
- It is helpful to browse the history categories in the areas you are interested in, so that you will be most familiar with where things should go.
Further Tips[edit | edit source]
- If you would like your learning project to be listed at Wikiversity:Browse, you should add it to Category:Learning projects.
- For additional exposure, it would be good to place your learning projects in the appropriate subcategory of Category:Resources by type. This will especially help other instructors who are thinking of developing similar sorts of materials for their own courses.
- It may also be useful to list your projects under the appropriate learning level: Category:Pre-school Education, Category:Primary education, Category:Secondary Education, Category:Tertiary Education, Category:Non-formal Education, or Category:Research.
Specific Topics[edit | edit source]
National Histories[edit | edit source]
- National histories should be filed under Category:History by Nation in addition to the subject-specific categories listed above.
- Remember when doing so to use the format "[[Category:History by Nation|[Nation Name]]]", as many national history project pages start with "history of" instead of the nation's name. Example: "[[Category:History by Nation|Germany]]", for History of Germany. Doing this ensures that the page will be categorized in a way that will make it easier to find.