WikiJournal User Group/Publishing/Writing resources
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiJournal User Group
WikiJournal User Group
Open access • Publication charge free • Public peer review • Wikipedia-integrated
Writing resources[edit | edit source]
- "Online Writing Lab". Purdue University.
- "Tips & Tools". The Writing Center - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Gopen, George; Swan, Judith (2018-01-03). "The Science of Scientific Writing". American Scientist.
Wikipedia[edit | edit source]
- Basic copyediting
- Use clear, precise and accurate terms
- Use of "refers to" and related phrases such as "relates to".
Books[edit | edit source]
- Garner, Bryan A. Garner's Modern English Usage. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Stein, Sol. Stein on Writing. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995.
- Strunk, William Jr., and E. B. White. The Elements of Style. 4th ed. New York: Longman, 1999.
- Zinsser, William. On Writing Well. 7th ed., rev.. New York: Harper Collins, 2006.
Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language Online. https://ahdictionary.com/ . COMMENT: The best for pithy definitions.
- Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary. https://www.merriam-webster.com/ . COMMENT: Solid, reliable definitions.
- Oxford Languages via Google. Search Google for the word or, if you do not see a definition right away, search for the word + "definition". COMMENT: Fast & reliable. Not as comprehensive as Merriam-Webster. Not as concise as American Heritage.
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED Online). https://www.oed.com/ . COMMENT: The best for etymology; eloquent.
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged, ed. Philip B. Gove (Springfield, MA: G. & C. Merriam, 1961, 1993, periodically updated as Merriam-Webster Unabridged), https://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/ . COMMENT: Exquisitely written and comprehensive.
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed., rev. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018. (Usually marketed as "50th Anniversary edition.")
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged. Edited by Philip B. Gove. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1961, rev. 1993.