Welcome to the A. S. Neill School of Free Learning.
The School of Free Learning promotes efforts to develop Wikiversity learning resources for learners who are encouraged to explore their personal interests while participating in a self-governing learning community. This style of education was developed by A. S. Neill at Summerhill School and is well suited for Wikiversity, where learners are free to come and go as they please and make use of the collaborative wiki environment for exploration of their personal learning goals. See: the Wikiversity learning model.
Special content development efforts
The School of Free Learning is a central hub for coordination of more focused content development projects.
One focus area for content development in the School of Free Learning is the development of learning resources about Wikiversity itself. Wikiversity provides learning opportunities that are strange and unfamiliar for most learners. The Wikiversity content development project coordinates efforts to help new Wikiversity participants become familiar with using wiki technology as a tool to assist them in their pursuit of learning goals.
Wikiversity is one of the family of education-oriented wiki websites of the Wikimedia Foundation. It is important that Wikiversity participants understand the cooperative relationship between Wikiversity and its sister projects. Topic:Wikimedia is a content development project that coordinates the development of learning resources about Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikimedia Commons and the other Wikimedia Foundation wiki projects.
Wiki websites are just one type of website that characterizes the growing trend of websites that support online communities of participants who are engaged in the creation and sharing of digital files. Topic:Web 2.0 is a content development project that coordinates the development of learning resources about Web 2.0 and supports Wikiversity participants who want to make and share digital media files such as podcasts.
- Learning fun - exploration of how to have fun while editing Wikiversity webpages.
- How to use wiki technology as a free learner - strategies for how to explore personal learning goal by making use of wiki technology.
- History of free learning - Historical review of A. S. Neill, Summerhill School, Unschooling and related educational philosophies.
- Composing free and open online educational resources - The course reading and the assignments will familiarize the participants with the main concepts related to open education resources and to the historical and philosophical ideas behind them. The participants will also carry out hands-on exercises and will this way learn to create and participate in projects producing free and open educational resources.
- Ivan Illich: Deschooling Society/Learning Webs