Reaching people is a core requirement for acomplishing goals that requires the awareness of a large number of people, entire communities or for global challenges a large fraction of global population. This learning resource focuses on Sustainable Development Goals and Systems Thinking.
- (Disaster Management) Explain why it is import to reach people for a demand driven reponse after a disaster when communication infrastructure is destroyed directly or the missing electricity supply does not allow to charge batteries of mobile devices like smartphones?
- (Risk Management) Describe why reaching risk exposed communities is a core pillar for risk management! Explain how the following area contribute to reach people:
- oral communication,
- role plays,
- cultural and social events
- (Technology Resilience) If we focus on digital telecommunication infrastructure, we think of LTE, GSM, Internet as communication networks. Analyse the concept of mesh networks and try to identfy why mobile devices do not have an integrated fall-back method to communiate on mesh notworks when standard telecommunication infrastructure fails in a post-disaster phase?
- (Speech Recognition) Assume that people cannot read or write. Explain how speech recognition and audio output can be used to interact with a Spatial Decision Support System. The spatial aspects of decision support allow tailored support for regions people live and take into account, which resource are available or accessible by local population and can be integrated in a decision support system.
- (Open Innovation Ecosystem) Analyse the concept of Living Labs and user driven innovation to reach people with local requirements and constraints.
- (Think globally - act_locally) More than 90% of the world population either battle with the basic living conditions like security, food, accommodation/shelter, ... or are accupied with workload so that they do not have time for extra workload. Thinking about global challenges like climate change, limitation of global resources, security threads globally or to communities, ... . Assume you want to address global challenges. How do you address local and regional problems first and provide "quick wins" or short-term benefits for the heterogeneous driver and local problems. Select an example in your environment and pick a sustainable development goal that you want to address first! When you learn about the SDG you think globally. If you think about local implementation in your environment you act locally. Finally address the outreach of your local implementation and how to reach the people and raise awareness.
- (Go where People are!) reaching people - especially if there risk exposed - requires to go where the people are. In general you thing about social media, messengers and other media. A community analysis look at communication networks in general and the propagation of information in the community. For the analysis of the communication network also trust into the stakeholders of the community are relevant for the change (see also Change Management).
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Risk Management/Global Challenges
- Speech Recognition
- Spatial Decision Support System
- [https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/news/communications-material/ UN-Guidelines for Use of SDG logo and the 17 SDG icons (2019/05/10) - https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/news/communications-material/