Topic talk:Ocean engineering and Naval Architecture
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Portal talk:Marine engineering)
Splitting this page would be intuitive, yet counterproductive. Simply put the ocean engineering fields herein are many, yet each has a distinct set of activities. The organizational structures of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) and those of the predominant educational institutions are what predicated this titling. If a split must be had it is recommended that the department simply be called Ocean Engineering and that Naval Architecture simply be a course therein. Of course Naval Architecture would undoubtedly also be drawn into the field of Architecture (which is in fact inappropriate). Either way is fine with me. - Gustable 07:34, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
- Sorry "Ocean Engineering" is an Americanism, it's not an internationally used or accepted term.
- SNAME does not represent the "world"; in the UK we refer to IMarEST, the SUT, ICE, and others.
- Nor is "Ocean Engineering" a catch-all term to include Marine Engineering, Nautical Science, and Naval Architecture. "Ocean Engineering" refers to marine civil engineering.
- The most apt solution is to delete this and set up a "Marine Engineering" catch-all page on the Interdisciplinery list (Facilities Engineering would also come under Systems Engineering in the UK, even though they have a couple of Institutions covering them). Alternatively you could just state that Wikiversity is for Americans only, and pays no regard to international norms. Certainly, if we find any of our wiki's material placed on your site in this current structure, we will not be friendly about it.
- (The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) 7 April 2010)