Use this page to share any ideas for projects which students of social entrepreneurship might like to adapt for their community-based projects.
Ideas may be entirely new which come to mind, or old ideas which have been tried before and may be adapted for a new context, perhaps drawing on a broader existing community.
| This page or section is an undeveloped draft or outline.
You can help to develop the work, or you can ask for assistance in the Colloquium.
- The Foundation for a Better Life - sharing the values that make a difference in our communities.
- Franchising Ideas.
- Open Content for Development
- Educating for harmony and strength in diversity
- Health Education
- Environmental Education
- Teachers Without Borders
Local Community Impact
Ideas to bring communities together and encourage friendships and activities towards community upliftment.
Depending on scale, this could consist of multiple projects, some on-going (e.g. maintenance and on-going community development activities)
- Renovate/build a hall (or barn, etc) and develop a vision for community benefit
- Community centre
- Learning centre
- How to Plan A Renovation project ....
Think about venues, equipment, event organisation and management, ....
- Table tennis
- Sadili Oval (Kenya)
- Check out the work of various sports foundations
- Beyond Sport
- The Philippi Angels Township Baseball Academy
Ideas to inspire entrepreneurship and job creation.
- ICT Literacy
- Wireless Africa - SA
- FLOSS Business
- FLOSS Source Camps - how to organise one. Principles may apply to organising other events which seek to build community across existing groups.
- Digital Doorway.
- Freedom Phone - Zimbabwe
- Open Phone - SA, Botswana pilot, etc.
- Mobile phones and development
- Video Volunteers
For a social entrepreneurial idea to be sustainable, always consider environmental and social aspects (as well as social). Similarly, sometimes an environmentally focussed initiative may have social implications. The following suggest sources of ideas inspired by environmental challenges and opportunities.
Networks and external sources of ideas
- (e.g.) Fixers - "young people using their past to fix the future".
- Impact Hubs - global network with resources and collaboration opportunities to grow impact.
- The World Challenge
- Education that pays for itself - a short animation from Teach a man to Fish
- We can solve it - check this out and think about local equivalents.