- This course introduces the form of a ship, how the form is described using drawings, principal parameters to describe a ship, concept of buoyancy, hydrostatic properties, concept of stability, curves describing stability, stability in damaged condition. This is a basic course for first year of study.
- This course introduces the concept of resistance of a ship, components of resistance, parameters of resistance, model testing, estimation of skin friction, wave making resistance, shallow water effects, appendage resistance, air resistance.
- This course introduces propulsion systems, ship powering efficiency, propeller geometry, model testing, propeller theory, propeller in open water, propeller behind hull, propeller desing.
- This course deals with the structure of a ship, loads on a ship, structural design.
- Response of a ship, Response of a ship in regular waves, Response in irregular waves.
- Stability, equations of motion, hydrodynamic coefficients, turning circle, zig zag maneuver, other maneuvers.
- Systems on board the ship, engine, lubrication, fuel, cooling, cargo handling, accomodation, fire and safety,
- Process of design, types of ships, design considerations, lines plan, general arrangement, structural design, model testing
- Shipyards, production methods, production planning, hull construction, outfitting.
- Revisiting resistance, definition of high speed, ways to attain high speed, high speed displacement craft, planning craft, hydrofoil craft, air cushion vehicles