Planning[edit | edit source]
I'm not one of the probable teachers, but I do think some planning would help get this show on the road. This seemed like a good place for ideas... so here it is.
Firstly, we obviously have more beginning students than anything else, and I don't think it would be fair to force what few non-beginners we do have to wait for enough people to reach a level of reasonable proficiency for learning. Also, we've only got one possible teacher so far, so, as a person with no educational training or experience, I would recommend we arrange sessions to start teaching the beginners German and allow the advanced/intermediate students to aid in teaching.
Just my presumptuous attempt to get the ball rolling.
- We need a better way of matching students' current language skill sets with available resources...maybe if we organize these resources first, that would help things. --HappyCamper 16:35, 4 May 2007 (UTC)
- Perhaps a meeting or somesuch of interested people on the IRC? --KyranTyr
- I think it's better to organize this on here instead. Hey, why don't we just put something together? ded via a template and all words --HappyCamper 20:49, 5 May 2007 (UTC)
samples (or I'm working with the wro:Here's the thing - are we trying to make this learning site like every other site or what? Because there are plenty of links all over the internet for learning basic German. I propose the first thing to be done is a collection of grammar charts, nicely and professionally done. It's something I'd be willing to work on - Jeffrey Mason
- Sure, go ahead! We're trying to build from the bottom-up an online learning community for German...so anything that you think would be helpful would be a great. So far, we have not actively pulled together resources from the internet yet. That should be something to work on too. --HappyCamper 01:48, 29 June 2007 (UTC)
I wrote an Introduction chapter to explain (or more to get to a single point) how the lessons will look like. It can be found and edited here . Perhaps someone with graphical experiences should go over it to make it more goodlooking. At the moment it doesn't have any real content (except the explanations of what it looks like), but I thought of adding the content of the first lesson in it would be good enough. Any other correction would be also welcome. --Edmond Dantes AUT 14:03, 29 July 2007 (UTC)
Had a thought about possible topics for the lessons:
|1||Pronunciation, Letters, Sounds||Greetings|
|2||Personal Pronoms Nominative, Verb endings in Present tense|
|3||Nouns: gender, Nominative, Articles: Nominative (preview to other cases?)|
|4||. . .|
Other grammar topics (in the order they'll be added):
Nouns+Articles: Nominative, Accusative, (later:)Dative, (much later - together with possessive pronouns?:) Genetive (at the same time?:) personal pronouns in these cases
Adjective (=Adverb): Declination, (much later:)comparison
prepositions: need for certain cases depending on preposition
Verbs: Tenses (after covering the most important things), Passive, Konjunctive, Imperative
Sentence constructions: (early:) Negation+ Question, (much later:)other sentence constructions (+relative, reflexive and demonstrative pronouns)
Vocabular can be adcan be shown on a new side (as a kind of vocabulary booklet).
I'd prefer to have some (=a lot of) audio samples during the lessons. Unfortunately I see some problems with the capabiltites offered by wiki - it takes too long to hear samples (or I'm using the wrong software - in that case I'd need someone to show me better options -please). Does anybody have an idea of making it work faster?
--Edmond Dantes AUT 19:34, 12 August 2007 (UTC)
P.S.: Feel free to add and change!
I have several lesson plans that I have already written for beginning German. I'll go through and refine them and see about putting some of them up here. --Alex 23:53, 4 October 2007 (UTC)
I fixed up the introduction page, but saved the old one just in case. --Alex 00:55, 5 October 2007 (UTC)
Let's use the talk page instead for planning and interested members. That way we can actually use the German I page for German lessons. You can find the talk page here. --Alex 01:03, 5 October 2007 (UTC)
Better break up the Course material according to its degree of Difficulty. I know from experience after having been a Foreign Language Instructor that the Cases of German Grammar are very confusing to those who do not get at least 2 hours of daily German Practice. Also, Audio resources of the pronunciation have to be made available as there are some Alphabets where it is nearly impossible to give the written Phonetics.
Participants[edit | edit source]
If you're interested in helping instruct or just want to learn, add your name in the appropriate list below! There are lots of materials we can use to help each other learn German. Feel free to share your ideas here by editing this page!
Interested students[edit | edit source]
Complete (or near complete) Beginners[edit | edit source]
- --Ђорђе Д. Божовић 23:17, 11 November 2005 (UTC) (basic knowledge of German, I know how to build the present tense and a few words)
- --Orpheo 12:39, 12 September 2006 (UTC) Begginer. Knowledge based on Bach cantatas texts and a few lessons.
- --Iman0613 17:20, 22 September 2006 (UTC) No background at all; do speak Afrikaans however.
- --Uly 02:36, 25 September 2006 (UTC) False beginner. Never studied but can guess-read and understand some through contact with Germans and the media. Can understand some Dutch.
- --JoNNY18:55, 26 October 2006 (UTC) - I know a little bit of German from listening to Deutschrock. I have almost direct German ancestry and would love to learn more about it.
- Hallo!Ich bin George und ich komme aus Rumanian und ich bin sechzhen!Hett dich zu treffen!!Well i realy like do study german becousei think that is a cool language and a very nice one even that it's very very hard!i do some self-studies and i want to do more becouse i realy wanty to know this languages!i'm also fascinating by the northen languages and i know also a little bit of finnish(finland languages).for me it's hard do learn this languagesbecouse my language is romanian-=a latin lkanguage like french, italiano, spanish and portuguese-but i try to do hte best and to learn it!i know already english, french, moldavian. a little of spanish and portuguese and i start the study for german and finnis!in my free time i study also japanese and turkish-this is only a hobby-so...if u can help me with the german and even finnish please contact me on e-mail..thanksGeorge-Cristian Potrivitu -13.06.2007
- Hi! My name is Aena and I would really love to learn German. I'm just doing some self-study on the language so I really need help from lots of people. Thank you! ^^ (The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) 02:46, 24 August 2007)
- Hi, I'm Christine. I'd like to learn German as well. I am not trying to send people to other sites (I love the Wiki!) but I found a BBC site to help people learn German for free. Maybe someone from there can help with this project. I did see a "Contact Us" page. Just a thought... They offer several languages but I can't say if the info is good or not; I don't know. I am looking for a more complete course.
- hallo! my name is Louisa , i love German and love to learn more about it... it's a cool language.. anyway, i got so many source about German.. if u wanna just send me an email..
- Hi. I'm Nour Eddine Yaghmour from Palestine and i'd like to learn too
- Hi, I'm Michael and I'd like to learn the German language.
- I'd like to learn too! --HappyCamper 01:36, 12 April 2007 (UTC)
- Hi I'm Bojana from Macedonia and I like to learn German. I started on my own but it's not very motivating.
- I'm James and I also want to learn German
- My name is David and I lived in Germany for three years and would like to relearn the language.
- Hi, I´m Eli and a German wikiclass would help when I am self-teaching German this summer.
- Hi, I'm Adam and i would also like to learn German as a second language.
- Hi my name's Tracey and I'd love to learn German too, but it's hard to stay motivated learning on your own
- Hi, my name is Syd and I learned German in high school but would like to refresh myself and become fluent.--SydHeresy 21:57, 27 April 2007 (UTC)
- How ya doin,Im Jim, i would like to learn german to help me with my studies.
- Hello, my name is Lissa and I would love to learn German.
- craasnibooi-i'd like to learn to speak German.
- Hi, I'm Marcus and I'm also interested.
- Hey, I'm José, and I'd also like to learn German. 0
- I'm Ben and I want to learn German
- I'm Jenn from Las Vegas, USA and would love to learn the basics of German. Thanks to any possible teachers!
- I have very little experience with German, but I'd love to learn. Blast 01.07.07 0719 (UTC)
Zim 16:09, 27 May 2007 (UTC)
- I'm Cory, from Melbourne, Australia. I'd love to learn German as a fourth language, preferably before I go over to Europe =p Anyone who can help?
- G'day, I'm Leigh. I wouldn't mind having a crack at learning German!
- Hallo! I'm Rubèn Roca and I would like to learn German. Thanks!
- hi,there.I'm Fatih from Turkey and would like to learn German.Thanks in advance!!
- Ich bin's Desi. Ja, Ich will auch Deutsch lernen.
- My name is Bryan and I live in USA, I had a German Exchange Student and I would like to learn German so that I can speak to his family
- my name is juan, im from colombia and id like to learn some german
hey im mark from san francisco and id like to learn german
- Hi, I'm Alexander. I'm lithuanian. Although I have had some experience with German in high school, I'd like to continue learning.
- Hi, I'm Cabo from Guyana and would like to learn German.
- Hi, I'm Alyssa and I would love to learn German.
- Hello! This is Vikas Sharma from India. I would love to learn German. More on me is available at http://www.sharmasblog.com . Thank you!
- Hi Im Tim from New Zealand.Im very interested in learning the German Language
- Hi! this is Prasanth from India. I would like to learn some foreign language and I thought German would be a cool choice...
Hi! I'm Ana and i'm moving to Berlin to work in a few months and i wan't to have already some basis when i got there.
- Hi, my name is Manuel and I am from Canada and I would like to learn German. Thank you !
- Hi, my name is Peter, I am from South Africa, and would like to learn German as a foreign language...
Advanced Beginners[edit | edit source]
- Hi. My name is Tereasa and I've been self-teaching myself german for quite a while, although I am currently taking a course in college for it as well. This project looks as though it could help quite a few people. ^_^
- Hi, i am not very "advanced" but I have started already German "alleine" (alone, at home) a month already. I am interested into this project:)--Annalemesos 02:21, 12 April 2007 (UTC)
- -Ich bin in meine dritte Jahr von Deutsch und will mehr lernen. Natürlich will ich mit die Klasse hilfen wenn eure Lehrer(in) möchtet. Kyran_Tyr 21:03 EST, 02:03 GMT, 30 April 2007
- The Jade Knight I've studied Old English (very similar to German), and a little German on my own. The Jade Knight 08:13, 8 June 2007 (UTC)
- Hello! My name is Przemek. I've got a degree in linguistics applied and learned German ages ago as a kid. I have got some idea on German phonetics, basic syntax and so on. Hope to learn, help and have fun! I have got some experience as a teacher of English and Russian so I guess that could a kind of help. As it is my first edit at Wikiversity I hope I won't spoil something. :-) Stiopa 19:24, 17 June 2007 (UTC)
- Hiya! I'm Will and I'm from Baltimore. I've taken German 101 and am looking to get a German minor (at least), but the community college that I'm at right now keeps canceling any German classes beyond just the basics. I'm mostly interested in keeping what little German I know fresh until I transfer to a university that offers a decent German program. I'm also not too clear on how this whole Wikiversity thing works, though it looks promising. Willickers 05:06, 29 June 2007 (UTC)
- Hallo,Liebe Luete,ich bin Finley,komme aus China,ich interesire mich sehr auf Deutsch,Ich moechte Deutsch lernen,und ich moechte auch Freunden und Freundinnen kannenzulernen.ADD mir beim MSN,meine Address ist FINLEY_7@HOTMAIL.COM Besten Wuenschen aus China (The preceding unsigned comment was added by Finley (talk • contribs) 15:27, 28 June 2008)
- Ich mag dieses Konzept, und Ich möchte auf meiner schrecklichen deutschen Grammatik verbessern. Das Ablesen und das Hören sind meine starken Punkte, Ich nicht so gut am Schreiben oder am Sprechen. Scottius11 05:53, 22 September 2009 (UTC)
- Grüße aus Wien! My name is Ron and this is my 3rd year living in Vienna. I have been attending a Deutschkurs but at home we speak English and watch American DVDs. I hope this will help as we plan to stay here for now.
- Hallo! My name is Helga and I'm from St. Petersburg and I would like to learn German. Danke schon) User:Helga-umr 15:43, 4 May 2015 (UTC)
Intermediate Students[edit | edit source]
- --Javier Carro 14:05, 17 September 2006 (UTC) Intermediate level (B2 + or -).
- --Badmuthahubbard 04:36, 26 September 2006 (UTC) Worked with some CDs and websites in the past, and am refreshing myself now with all the resources I can find.
- --Draicone (talk) 00:21, 27 September 2006 (UTC) I can speak German well enough, but I would like to extend my control of the language.
- --AwenStormFool 17:14, 06 October 2006 (UTC) - Currently learning basic German, self-taught through several books and websites. I already have solid fluency on other foreign languages.
- --Jade Knight 06:53, 7 October 2006 (UTC) I speak almost no German, but I can understand some. I've studied Old English, which has very similar grammar.
- --Alexander Gerashchenko 18:04, 10 October 2006 (UTC) Intermediate level (Ich hoffe darauf)
- --Dante 05:04, 28 October 2006 (UTC) - I studied a bit of German in high school.
- --Electroswoosh 15:40, 1 November 2006 (UTC) - Three years of high school German. I know enough to survive but am limited to basic conversation.
- --NSPossum 21:06, 25 April 2007 (UTC) - I know basic German from "teach yourself" books and from German TV, music, and art.
- --Jjkr-I studied a year of German in high school and would like to get back into it.
-I am also interested. My family comes from Germany and I have take some courses in Deutch. Jawohl!
-I am very interested in the German language. I had a bit of practice...years ago.
-Jetzt ich studiere Deutsch in der Universität von den Philippinen aber ich möchte mein Deutsch verbessern. Stickbreaker 20:24, 17 April 2007 (UTC)
- I can also help out. I took a total of 6 years of German throughout High School and College. Schulb72 12:39, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
- I would be pleased to assist in any way that I am able. I have been studying German for several years now at the University level. I have assisted with and have taught several subjects previously and have always loved helping others learn.
- Hallo! Ich heiße Guerric, und ich fliege in Oktober zu Dresde. Ich werde dort Deutsch lernen; aber, ich mag gern Deutsch, und ich will jetzt lernen beginnen! Ich lerne während mein Arbeit ein wenig, weil ich bin Lebensretter und es gibt an mein Schwimmbecken niemand. I'm good at discovering new vocabulary (which I've never got enough of), but word order gives me a great deal of trouble, as do prepositions. German is, chronologically, my fifth language - though better then my neglected Mandarin, and soon to beat my somewhat-neglected Spanish. --Lytyr 21:18, 5 July 2007 (UTC)
- Ich habe deutsch seit 4 Jahren studiert. Ich hoffe, dass ich helfen kann =] 18.104.22.168 21:51, 5 August 2007 (UTC)
- I used to study German a few years ago, at a German school in my native country, but haven't practiced it at all in about 2 years. I'd like to start from where i left off if possible, because although it's a rather difficult language, I think it's cool. And I'd like to travel to Germany some time. EmiLiuS 01:53, 10 August 2007 (UTC)
- Ich bin Varun Keshav,ich komme aus Indien and lerne Deutsch in Goethe Institut,Bangalore...ich moechte meine Deutsch verbessern.. Bitte helfen sie mir! any kind of PDFs related to learning are more than welcome! cheers.. my mail id is firstname.lastname@example.org
- I'm an intermediate German-speaker living in Pennsylvania who is interested in helping out with this project. Sperrfeuer 14:43, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
Proficient Students[edit | edit source]
- Dallin.m 17:50, 2 May 2007 (UTC) Hello, people: I'm a not-quite-fluent German student who has just discovered Wikiversity. I've studied the language for a number of years in high school, university, and I spent a brief time living in Germany. I was hoping to use Wikiversity to keep my German sharp over the summer, but seeing as there isn't much (anything?) here, I wouldn't mind being an instructor for beginning students.
- My name is Jeffrey Mason and I have studied German for 9 years (8th-12th grade, four years in college). My German is fairly good, I've visited Germany three times, one of those times was a job which involved translating, and I would love to help as much as I can in teaching to keep up with and improve my skills.
Native Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Sundance Raphael can a bit help, but my English is not very well. Please be not upset if i make mistakes in grammar and spelling.
- Michael Reschke, please contact me by Mail if necessary. I will support your project.
- I'm willing to help where I can. Get in contact with me if necessary. --Edmond Dantes AUT 10:04, 28 July 2007 (UTC)
- I am living in Germany. Try to catch me, I might be able to help you with some of your questions ! ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 12:38, 29 June 2008 (UTC)
Hallo Allerseits! Ich habe eine gesamt zeit von 17 Jahren in Deutschland verbracht und dort von Kleinkind an die Sprache gelernt. Am now back in my Home Country and love to share my Knowledge with anyone who is really interested in taking up the Language.
- Sicaria - I'll be happy to help. Just E-Mail me.
Interested Teachers[edit | edit source]
- AaronRichard 11:35, 10 April 2007 (UTC) Hi, I'm a German teacher at a high school in Australia. I studied German in Australia and Germany, and have lived in Germany.
- User:ophelia 21 May 2007. Hi, I'm a native speaker with some teaching experience as a tutor. Did an MA in German Studies and English. Currently studying literary translation.
- Alex 23:52, 4 October 2007 (UTC) Hello. I am a graduate student working on my PhD in German. I am currently student teaching with the ultimate goal of becoming a university professor in German.