ICD-10 Coding/Diseases of the Nervous System
This lesson introduces ICD-10-CM Diseases of the Nervous System.
Objectives and Skills[edit | edit source]
Objectives and skills for this lesson include:
- Apply ICD-10-CM coding guidelines for accurate selection and sequencing of diagnosis codes commonly used to describe diseases of the nervous system.
- Apply ICD-10-PCS coding guidelines for accurate selection of procedure codes commonly used to diagnose and treat diseases of the nervous system.
- Explain the difference between the central and peripheral nervous system.
- Identify the symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease and medications used to treat the condition.
- Recognize that dementia is an inherent part of Alzheimer's disease and know how to code behavioral disturbances including wandering.
- Distinguish between seizure and epilepsy.
- List terms, that when documented by the physician in describing epilepsy, equate to "intractable" for the 4th character of codes in category G40- of ICD-10-CM.
Guidelines[edit | edit source]
Start Here[edit | edit source]
Chapter 6 specific guidelines can be found on pages 41-44 of this document
Part 1: Diagnoses[edit | edit source]
CG I.C.6.a. Dominant/nondominant side[edit | edit source]
CG I.C.6.b. Pain - Category G89[edit | edit source]
CG 1.C.6.b.1) General coding information[edit | edit source]
CG 1.C.6.b.2) Pain due to devices, implants and grafts[edit | edit source]
CG 1.C.6.b.3) Postoperative Pain[edit | edit source]
CG 1.C.6.b.4) Chronic pain[edit | edit source]
CG 1.C.6.b.5) Neoplasm Related Pain[edit | edit source]
CLINICAL SCENARIO: 59-year-old male patient admitted for pain management of chronic pain due to secondary malignant neoplasm of bone.
CG 1.C.6.b.6) Chronic pain syndrome[edit | edit source]
Part 2: Procedures[edit | edit source]
CLINICAL SCENARIO: 42 year-old female admitted with left carpal tunnel syndrome undergoes open carpal tunnel release.
Learning Resources[edit | edit source]
Article: Parkinson's Disease:Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/parkinsons-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20376055
Article: What is Alzheimer's Disease? https://www.cdc.gov/aging/aginginfo/alzheimers.htm
Video: What Happens in Your Brain When You Have a Seizure? https://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/treat-epilepsy-seizures-16/video-seizure-animation
Activities[edit | edit source]
- Review Guidelines and Learning Resources for this chapter.
- Write and code a clinical scenario based on one ICD-10-CM guideline from this chapter. Cite the guideline and post above (Part 1: Diagnoses)
- Write and code a clinical scenario utilizing ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS code(s) for conditions and treatments related to this chapter. Post above (Part 2: Procedures)
- Contribute to Lesson Summary and/or Key Terms.
- Go to LMS and complete weekly assignments.
Lesson Summary[edit | edit source]
Key Terms[edit | edit source]
Central nervous system - the brain and spinal cord
Peripheral nervous system - all elements of the nervous system except the brain and spinal cord