ICD-10 Coding/Diseases of the Nervous System
This lesson introduces ICD-10-CM Diseases of the Nervous System.
- 1 Objectives and Skills
- 2 Guidelines
- 2.1 Start Here
- 2.2 Part 1: Diagnoses
- 2.2.1 CG I.C.6.a. Dominant/nondominant side
- 2.2.2 CG I.C.6.b. Pain - Category G89
- 2.3 Part 2: Procedures
- 3 Learning Resources
- 4 Activities
- 5 Lesson Summary
- 6 Key Terms
- 7 See Also
- 8 References
Objectives and Skills
Objectives and skills for this lesson include:
- Apply ICD-10-CM coding guidelines for accurate selection and sequencing of diagnosis codes commonly used to describe diseases of the nervous system.
- Apply ICD-10-PCS coding guidelines for accurate selection of procedure codes commonly used to diagnose and treat diseases of the nervous system.
- Explain the difference between the central and peripheral nervous system.
- Identify the symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease and medications used to treat the condition.
- Recognize that dementia is an inherent part of Alzheimer's disease and know how to code behavioral disturbances including wandering.
- Distinguish between seizure and epilepsy.
- List terms, that when documented by the physician in describing epilepsy, equate to "intractable" for the 4th character of codes in category G40- of ICD-10-CM.
Chapter 6 specific guidelines can be found on pages 41-44 of this document
Part 1: Diagnoses
CG I.C.6.a. Dominant/nondominant side
CG I.C.6.b. Pain - Category G89
CG 1.C.6.b.1) General coding information
CG 1.C.6.b.2) Pain due to devices, implants and grafts
CG 1.C.6.b.3) Postoperative Pain
CG 1.C.6.b.4) Chronic pain
CG 1.C.6.b.5) Neoplasm Related Pain
CLINICAL SCENARIO: 59-year-old male patient admitted for pain management of chronic pain due to secondary malignant neoplasm of bone.
CG 1.C.6.b.6) Chronic pain syndrome
Part 2: Procedures
CLINICAL SCENARIO: 42 year-old female admitted with left carpal tunnel syndrome undergoes open carpal tunnel release.
Article: Parkinson's Disease:Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/parkinsons-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20376055
Article: What is Alzheimer's Disease? https://www.cdc.gov/aging/aginginfo/alzheimers.htm
Video: What Happens in Your Brain When You Have a Seizure? https://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/treat-epilepsy-seizures-16/video-seizure-animation
- Review Guidelines and Learning Resources for this chapter.
- Write and code a clinical scenario based on one ICD-10-CM guideline from this chapter. Cite the guideline and post above (Part 1: Diagnoses)
- Write and code a clinical scenario utilizing ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS code(s) for conditions and treatments related to this chapter. Post above (Part 2: Procedures)
- Contribute to Lesson Summary and/or Key Terms.
- Go to LMS and complete weekly assignments.
Central nervous system - the brain and spinal cord
Peripheral nervous system - all elements of the nervous system except the brain and spinal cord