HTML or HyperText Markup Language is a predominant markup language for web pages. It is a structured way of telling web browsers how a web page should be displayed. HTML is a static language, which means that it cannot process (or change its content based on) user input.
Basic HTML has no prerequisites in any formal education. HTML is text-based computer-coding that can be made and run by children that understand the alphabet and symbols (Age: 6+). It requires no specialist computer knowledge at its basic level. Further insight (as delivered in these lessons) requires at least a moderately educated individual or supervisor.
- Example: A children's lesson
|[Tags for XML which include] HTML merely use diamond symbols: <> one uncut diamond, and then closed with </> a cut diamond.
The basic set of HTML words are put in the diamonds.
<html> <head> <title> and then closed </title> </head> <body> but this is another section for the page.</body> </html>
|To finish the child merely creates a filename with the dot html extension. Then, the child can click the icon on the desktop for go! The dot html file is associated with a browser.
- To write HTML, you need to use an editor:
- Any plain-text editor will do, such as Windows Notepad, Macintosh TextEdit or gedit/Kate for Linux. A word processor, such as Microsoft Word or OpenOffice is not acceptable, but a more advanced text editor such as Notepad++ is fine, and even recommended.
- A What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) editor, such as Microsoft Expression Web (which replaced Frontpage (discontinued)) or Adobe Dreamweaver will work, but this course will focus on learning with a text editor before using a WYSIWYG editor.
- You may also want to use software that is specialized for programming, such as Eclipse.
- To view rendered HTML, you need a web browser (such as the one you are using to view this page). But it's a good idea to view your HTML documents in multiple browsers, because each browser has different rules to displays HTML documents. Jsbelk 12:26, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- HTML Editing
- WYSIWYG vs. Manual Coding
- Content vs. Presentation
- W3C Standards
- WYSIWYG vs. Manual Coding in HTML - Advantages and disadvantages to both
- What is HTML anyway? - Get started on the right foot with this fun introduction to HTML!
- Basic formatting
- Fonts and colours
- Graphical Content and Multimedia - Understand how to display audio, video, and images using HTML.
- Meta Tags
- HTML Challenges - Work on your HTML skills with these visual challenges.
- 301 redirect
Please sign below if you are participating in this topic. Use three tildes (~) to sign.
- Ranszy001 (discuss • contribs) 09:54, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
- Moominpapauk (discuss • contribs) 07:58, 6 May 2015 (UTC) Looking to learn coding, this looks like a good place to start
- Brad7503, I'm a new blogger and programmer thought this would be a good start.
- Jomo86, Want a refresher so I can try more complex coding.
- Shamsur Rahim,AIUB
- Jeffrey Goines
- 126.96.36.199matt: want to customize my html blog template (&maybe make some simple webpages)
- 188.8.131.52 Hoping to make a good band Myspace layout.
- --User:enzofroilan- helping my fellow colleagues at my school
- --184.108.40.206 01:50, 26 October 2007 (UTC) Trying to learn HTML
- 220.127.116.11 10:44, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- Cslashb Mastered all the lessons, finished most of the challenges.
- Shameem Web based Software Developer
- Smokizzy (talk) Hoping to learn HTML
- The DOOMinator 06:34, 31 October 2007 (UTC)
- cbulla21 Read Web Pages for Dummies, taken a web design course.
- Grimley 05:54, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- Shelleyboo 03:17, 23 April 2008 (UTC)
- Zoltek 2:11, 16 June 2008 (AST) Hobbyist Programmer trying to learn.
- firstname.lastname@example.org 21:24, 27 June 2008 A 16-year-old teenager trying to learn HTML in order to have a clearer vision of how to improve his blog at theposterbeta.blogspot.com
- --Gp75motorsports REV LIMITER 23:04, 15 May 2008 (UTC) Would love to learn about HTML so I can construct bots
- Justin 13:38, 15 June 2008 (UTC) - Research and Development of Free Courseware - Looking to contribute to this to improve my own skills
- 18.104.22.168 18:11, 15 July 2008 (UTC):want to learn html for my xams
- D Mon 03:15, 31 July 2008 (UTC)thought it'd be fun
--Juan 20:59, 9 August 2008 (UTC) want to study HTML and then CSS:-)I start now. --Juandev 20:16, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
- --Navy blue84 18:15, 7 October 2008 (UTC) So I can build my own websites!!
- Freakandy I want to learn something new, and think HTML is quite an interesting subject!
- Angiee79 15:54, 18 December, 2008 (EST)
- Cheekybrew 00:11, 9 January 2009 (UTC)cheekybrew/i just have a newly discovered insatiable desire for web design knowledge!
- Svotzen 00:24, 30 January 2009 (UTC) Looking to expand working knowledge of code.
- Peter 17px Higgins Haven't done any coding since my ZX Spectrum so looking to get up to date, and a bit bored I guess.
- Designer1993 - Mastered XHTML
- tengo Interested in becoming an e-trepreneur, interested in improving local business web presence and beginning other projects I have in mind.
- Sdka--want to use HTML for blogs and making my own websites
- AFriedman 22:09, 14 October 2009 (UTC) I am using html as part of a programming course I'm enrolled in.
- Benson79 04/01/2010 Changing career, got to start somewhere
- 22:36, 2 March 2010 (UTC)
- Smart58 22:38, 2 March 2010 (UTC) wants to learn HTML
- la la means I love you 19:08, 16 April 2010 (UTC)
- Rflejeune 21:35, 8 December 2010 (UTC)
- BlueScreen 00:03 NZST, Friday, 29 June 2012.
- Skalliyath (talk)
- — smtchahal
- Zedelft (discuss • contribs) 1st Oct 2015
- Th3snehasish (discuss • contribs) 12:59, 23 December 2015 (UTC)
Please sign below if you are a mentor in this topic. Use three tildes (~) to sign.
- Kainaw: Please alert me at User:Kainaw on Wikipedia if I fail to notice a question here.
- Jack2230: Please alert me at User:Jack2230 with any questions.
- Designer1993 - You may message me with any questions.
- aosama: I've been coding since 3rd grade; you can ask me any questions at all.
- Geocheryl: coding since 1999, now participating in the beautiful websites guild
22.214.171.124I might as well just refresh some of my skills
- HTML is part of Topic:Web design.
- Exam 98-375: HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals