Exam 98-374: Gaming Development Fundamentals/Understand Graphics
This lesson covers Understand Graphics. It looks at rendering engines, game state, and drawing objects.
Activity 1 - Understand Rendering Engines[edit | edit source]
This objective may include but is not limited to: DirectX, video and audio compression, display initialization, resolution (full screen, Vsync, and windowed), transforms.
- Read Introduction to DirectX.
- Read DirectX Developer Center.
- Read DirectX Samples.
- Read QuickStart: A Basic DirectX App.
Activity 2 - Plan for Game State[edit | edit source]
This objective may include but is not limited to: scene hierarchy engine, gametime to handle frame rate variations, understanding games’ main loop (input/update/render), graphics pipeline; understanding the flow of a game, loading, menus, save-load, configuring options (video, audio, keyboard).
- Read Exercise 1: Basic XNA Framework Game with Game State Management.
- Read Game State Management.
- Watch XNA: Game Development - Loading Content Into Your Game (video).
Activity 3 - Draw Objects[edit | edit source]
This objective may include but is not limited to: using bitmaps, sprites, vector graphics, lighting, blending, text, textures, 3D geometry, parallax mapping, and different shaders; 2-D vs. 3-D; creating a sprite font.