This appendix is part of an incomplete bibliography of English Law. This page is an index of legal topics. There is also an index of authors.
Bibliographies and other works containing bibliographic information
- Pagel, Scott B (Editor). The Legal Bibliography: Tradition, Transitions and Trends. The Haworth Press. 1989. ISBN 0-86656-932-4. Google Books.
- Winfield, Percy H. "Some Bibliographical Difficulties of English Law" (1914) 30 LQR 190.
- Winfield, Percy H. "The Chief Sources of English Legal History", Harvard University Press, 1925
- Hoffman, David. A Course of Legal Study: Addressed to Students and the Profession Generally. Second Edition. Joseph Neal. Baltimore. 1836. Volume 2. Google books
- Friend, William Lawrence. Anglo-American Legal Bibliographies: An Annotated Guide. United States Government Printing Office. Washington DC. 1944.
- Bridgman. A Short View of Legal Bibliography. 1807.
- Worall. Bibliotheca legum Angliae. 1756. (Part II by Edward Brooke, 1788).
- Reed. Bibliotheca nova legum Angliae. 1809.
- Clarke's Bibliotheca Legum. 1810. 1815. 1819. 1835.
- "Of Books of Reports, and Treatises on English". Kent's Commentaries. Volume 1. Pages 471 to 514.
- Gibbs Judicial Chronicle.
- Brunner's Sources of English Law.
- Maitland's Materials for the History of English Law
- Soule's Year Book Bibliography 
- Thomas Ashe's Promptuary
- The list of texts at the front of Pollock and Maitland's History of English Law
- Reeve's History of English Law
- The appendices to the reports of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts
- Scargill-Bird's Guide to the Public Records
- Jenk's Sources of Medieval European Law
- Soule, C C. The Lawyer's Reference Manual of Law Books and Citations. 1883   . 1884 . Abbreviations used in law books.
- Cowley, J D. Bibliography of Abridgments, Digests, Indexes and Dictionaries of English Law to the Year 1800. Selden Society. 1932.
- Beale. Bibliography of Early English Law Books. 1926. Supplement: 1943.
- Bowker's Law Books & Serials in Print.
- International Legal Books in Print
- Logan. Information Sources in Law. 1986. Winterton and Moys. Second Edition. 1997.
- Ringrose, C W. Where to Look for Your Law. 14th ed. Sweet & Maxwell. London. 1962.
- A Bibliographical Guide to the Law of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man
- Law Books in Print
- Law Books Published
- How to Use a Law Library
- Clinch, Using a Law Library: A Students Guide to Legal Research Skills
- Holborn, Legal Research Guide
- Legal Resources at Oxford University
- John A Alford and Dennis P Seniff. Literature and Law in the Middle Ages: A Bibliography of Scholarship. Volume 378 of the Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Garland Publishing Inc. London and New York. 1984. ISBN 0 8240 9211 2.
- Shapiro, "The Most‐Cited Legal Books Published since 1978" (2000) 29 The Journal of Legal Studies 397 
- Hendrickson. Practitioners' Manual of Legal Bibliography. 1910. 
- Hicks. Aids to the Study and Use of Law Books. 1913.   
- Maxwell and Brown. A Complete List of British and Colonial Law Reports and Legal Periodicals. Third Edition. 1937. Reprint.
- Georgetown Law Library. Research Guides.
- Beem. An Introduction to Legal Bibliography for the Non- Professional Student. 1960. 
- Borchard. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Germany. 1912. 
- Palmer. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Spain. 1915. 
- Borchard. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Argentina, Brazil and Chile. 1917. 
Law library catalogues
- Catalogue of the Library of the Inner Temple. 1806. 1821. 1833. 1843.
- Catalogue of the Library of Gray's Inn. Edition: 1872. Supplements: 1874, 1878, 1888, 1906.
- Catalogue of the Library of Lincoln's Inn. 1835. 1859.
- Catalogue of the Library of the College of Advocates in Doctors' Commons. London. 1818. 1827. 1848. 1856. 1858. 1861.
- Catalogue of the Library of the Law Society. Editions: 1841, 1851, 1869, 1891, 1906. Supplements: 1894, 1898.
- A Catalogue of the Law Books in the Advocates Library. 1831. 
- Catalogue of the Library of the Law School of Harvard University. 1909.
- Stevens and Sons. A Catalogue of Modern Law Books. 1848 . 1864 . No 9: 1869 . No 11: 1871 
- Butterworths General Catalogue of Law Books. 1850. 
- Maxwell's Catalogue of Law Books. 1826. 
Works containing discussion of the contents, merits, etc., of some or all of the publications they list
- Marvin's Legal Bibliography. 1847.
- Jelf. Where to Find Your Law.
- English Legal History. Duke University.
- Article and Book Bibliography. Boston University.
- Glanville williams. Learning the Law.
- Julius J Marke. A Catalogue of the Law Collection at New York University. New York University. 1953. Lawbook Exchange. 1999 reprint. (Google Books)
- Practitioners Law Library 1978: Books for the Professions: Sweet & Maxwell Stevens. Published by Taylor & Francis. (Google Books).
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law.
- Raistrick, Donald. Lawyers' Law Books: A Practical Index to Legal Literature. Third Edition. Bowker-Saur. 1997.
- William Donald Hines (editor). English Legal History: A Bibliography and Guide to the Literature. Volume 1011 of Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Garland Publishing Inc. 1990. ISBN 0 8240 4299 9.
- Leslie F Maxwell et al. A Legal Bibliography of the British Commonwealth of Nations. Second Edition. Sweet & Mawxwell. Vols 1 - 6. London. 1955 - 1958. Sweet & Maxwell's Legal Bibliography. First Edition. 7 vols. London. 1925 - 1949.
- O Hood Phillips. A First Book of English Law. Fourth Edition. Sweet & Maxwell. 1960. Part II and particularly Chapters 9, 12 and 14.
- Appendix III to "How to do Things with Rules" (3 ed) by Twining and Miers
- "Further Reading" - Colin Turpin. British Government and the Constitution (2 ed). Weidenfeld and Nicolson. London. 1990. pp 572 - 575.
Catalogues, etc., which do not provide commentary on the publications they list
See w:List of encyclopedias by branch of knowledge#Law and w:Category:Encyclopedias of law. General encyclopedias may be relevant; see w:List of encyclopedias.
- Norton-Kyshe. The Dictionary of Legal Quotations. 1904.
- McNamara. Ragbag of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- Cook. A Treasury of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- James and Stebbings. A Dictionary of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- Shapiro. The Oxford Dictionary of American Legal Quotations. Reviews:  
Sources of law
Collections of statutes; tables and idexes
- Revised edition of the statutes
- The "Alphabetical Table of Statutes" (from 1707 onwards) in certain volumes of Current Law Statutes
- The Statutes of the Realm
- Statutes at Large 
- The Public General Acts and Measures
- The Law Reports - Public General Statutes
- Halsbury's Statutory Instruments
- Statutory Rules and Orders Revised. 1889.
- Statutory Rules and Orders Revised. Second Edition. 1903.
- The Statutory Rules and Orders and Statutory Instruments Revised. Third Edition. Revised to 1948.
- Table of Government Orders
- Index to Government Orders
- Blackstone's Statutes (formerly Blackstone's Statute Books)
- Routledge Student Statutes
- Butterworth's Handbooks
- Butterworth's Twentieth Century Statutes (continuation of Butterworth's Statutes) - 30 LQR 248
- Chitty's Statutes of Practical Utility - 30 LQR 118
- Keen, Local Legislation, 1913 - 30 LQR 514
Many law books contain a table of statutes referred to in the volume.
Google Books and Internet Archive
- Archive.org 
- 1870, 1872, 1874, 1877, PGS 1881, PGA 1881, 1882, 1884, 1892, 1896, 1902, 1904, 1906
- Bennion. Statute Law.
- Bennion. Statutory Interpretation.
- Miers and Page. Legislation.
- Craies on Statute Law. 1911. (formerly Hardcastle on Statutory Law). 1892. Now Craies on Legislation.
- Maxwell on Statutes
- Cross on Statutory Interpretation
- The Law Commission. The Interpretation of Statutes. Law Com 21. 1969.
- Ilbert. Legislative Methods and Forms. Oxford. 1901.
- Evans. Statutory Interpretation.
- Dale. Legislative Drafting: A New Approach.
Citators, digests, lists of cases
- Current Law Citator
- The Digest (formerly the English and Empire Digest)
- Mew's Digest
Many law books contain a table of cases referred to in the volume.
- Archbold Criminal Pleading, Evidence and Practice
- Stone's Justices' Manual
- Blackstone's Criminal Practice
- Archbold Magistrates' Courts
- Blackstone's Magistrates' Courts
- Russell on Crime
- Burns. Justice of the Peace.
- Smith and Hogan's Criminal Law (now by Ormerod)
- Card, Cross and Jones: Criminal Law
Offences against the person
- Fourteenth Report of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
Offences against property
- Eighth and Thirteenth Reports of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
- Griew, The Theft Acts 1968 and 1978
- Fifthteenth Report of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
- Rook and Ward on Sexual Offences
- Clerk and Lindsell on Torts
- Winfield and Jolowicz on Tort
- Gatley on Libel and Slander
- Carter-Ruck on Libel
- Odgers on Libel and Slander
- Chitty on Contracts
- Snell's Principles of Equity
- De Smith's Judicial Review of Administrative Action
- Fordham's Handbook of Judicial Review
- Megarry and Wade. The Law of Real Property
- Inns of Court School of Law. Drafting. Fifth Edition. Blackstone Press. 2000. ISBN 1841740624.
- Inns of Court School of Law. Opinion Writing. Fifth Edition. Blackstone Press. 2000. ISBN 1841740632.
- Debretts' House of Commons and Judicial Bench
- Men at the Bar
- Lives of Eminent Serjeants-at-law of the English Bar, 1869, vols 1 and 2. Contains biographies of 58 serjeants-at-law. Google Books:
- Other biographical sources for lawyers. The Inner Temple