This page is part of an incomplete pan-jurisdictional bibliography of law. This page is an index of legal topics. There is also an index of authors.
Bibliographies and other works containing bibliographic information
- Pagel, Scott B (Editor). The Legal Bibliography: Tradition, Transitions and Trends. The Haworth Press. 1989. ISBN 0-86656-932-4. Google Books.
- Winfield, Percy H. "Some Bibliographical Difficulties of English Law" (1914) 30 LQR 190.
- Winfield, Percy H. "The Chief Sources of English Legal History", Harvard University Press, 1925
- Hoffman, David. A Course of Legal Study: Addressed to Students and the Profession Generally. Second Edition. Joseph Neal. Baltimore. 1836. Volume 2. Google books
- Friend, William Lawrence. Anglo-American Legal Bibliographies: An Annotated Guide. United States Government Printing Office. Washington DC. 1944.
- Bridgman. A Short View of Legal Bibliography. 1807.
- Worall. Bibliotheca legum Angliae. 1756. (Part II by Edward Brooke, 1788).
- Reed. Bibliotheca nova legum Angliae. 1809.
- Clarke's Bibliotheca Legum. 1810. 1815. 1819. 1835.
- "Of Books of Reports, and Treatises on English". Kent's Commentaries. Volume 1. Pages 471 to 514.
- Gibbs Judicial Chronicle.
- Brunner's Sources of English Law.
- Maitland's Materials for the History of English Law
- Soule's Year Book Bibliography 
- Thomas Ashe's Promptuary
- The list of texts at the front of Pollock and Maitland's History of English Law
- Reeve's History of English Law
- The appendices to the reports of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts
- Scargill-Bird's Guide to the Public Records
- Jenk's Sources of Medieval European Law
- Soule, C C. The Lawyer's Reference Manual of Law Books and Citations. 1883   . 1884 . Abbreviations used in law books.
- Cowley, J D. Bibliography of Abridgments, Digests, Indexes and Dictionaries of English Law to the Year 1800. Selden Society. 1932.
- Beale. Bibliography of Early English Law Books. 1926. Supplement: 1943.
- Bowker's Law Books & Serials in Print.
- International Legal Books in Print
- Logan. Information Sources in Law. 1986. Winterton and Moys. Second Edition. 1997.
- Ringrose, C W. Where to Look for Your Law. 14th ed. Sweet & Maxwell. London. 1962.
- A Bibliographical Guide to the Law of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man
- Law Books in Print
- Law Books Published
- How to Use a Law Library
- Clinch, Using a Law Library: A Students Guide to Legal Research Skills
- Holborn, Legal Research Guide
- Legal Resources at Oxford University
- John A Alford and Dennis P Seniff. Literature and Law in the Middle Ages: A Bibliography of Scholarship. Volume 378 of the Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Garland Publishing Inc. London and New York. 1984. ISBN 0 8240 9211 2.
- Shapiro, "The Most‐Cited Legal Books Published since 1978" (2000) 29 The Journal of Legal Studies 397 
- Hendrickson. Practitioners' Manual of Legal Bibliography. 1910. 
- Hicks. Aids to the Study and Use of Law Books. 1913.   
- Maxwell and Brown. A Complete List of British and Colonial Law Reports and Legal Periodicals. Third Edition. 1937. Reprint. 1913 edition.
- Eugene M Wypyski and Daniel L May. Legal Periodicals in English. Glanville Publishers. 1976 onwards.  Index
- Georgetown Law Library. Research Guides.
- Beem. An Introduction to Legal Bibliography for the Non- Professional Student. 1960. 
- Chipman. An Index to Legal Periodical Literature. Boston. 1919. Vol 2. Vol 3:  
- Harry E Griswold. Catalogue of Law Books. 1897
- Legal Materials in Microform: A Selected Bibliography
- "XIII Legal Literature" in The Cambridge History of English and American Literature. 1907-1921. Volume 8 (The Age of Dryden). Bartleby
- Sylvio Normand, "Legal Publishing in Quebec" in History of the Book in Canada, University of Toronto Press, 2005, vol 2 (1840-1918), p 414
- Borchard. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Germany. 1912. 
- Palmer. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Spain. 1915. 
- Borchard. Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Argentina, Brazil and Chile. 1917. 
- Helen Lord Clagett. A Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Bolivia. Library of Congress. Washington. 1947. (Latin American series, no 12). HathiTrust. Google Books:   . Reprinted by Gordon Press, New York, 1981.
- Helen Lord Clagett. A Guide to the Law and Legal Literature of Peru. Library of Congress. Washington. 1947. HathiTrust
- David M Valderrama. Law & Legal Literature of Peru: A Revised Guide. Second Edition. (Latin American series, volume 39). Library of Congress. US Government Printing Office. Washington. 1976. HathiTrust Google Books
Law library catalogues
- Catalogue of the Library of the Inner Temple. 1806. 1821. 1833. 1843.
- Catalogue of the Library of Gray's Inn. Edition: 1872. Supplements: 1874, 1878, 1888, 1906.
- Catalogue of the Library of Lincoln's Inn. 1835. 1859.
- Catalogue of the Library of the College of Advocates in Doctors' Commons. London. 1818. 1827. 1848. 1856. 1858. 1861.
- Catalogue of the Library of the Law Society. Editions: 1841, 1851, 1869, 1891, 1906. Supplements: 1894, 1898.
- A Catalogue of the Law Books in the Advocates Library. 1831. 
- Catalogue of the Library of the Law School of Harvard University. 1909.
- Stevens and Sons. A Catalogue of Modern Law Books. 1848 . 1864 . No 9: 1869 . No 11: 1871 
- Butterworths General Catalogue of Law Books. 1850. 
- Maxwell's Catalogue of Law Books. 1826. 
Periodicals about law librarianship and legal bibliography
- Law Library Journal (1908 onwards) AALL
- The Law Librarian (1970 onwards) BIALL
- Canadian Law Libraries (1990 onwards)
- International Journal of Law Libraries (1973 to 1981) 
- Legal Reference Services Quarterly (1981 onwards)
- International Journal of Legal Information (1982 onwards)
- Legal Bibliography (1881 to 1913)
- Law Book News (2 volumes, January 1894 to December 1895) West. V1 V2. Review: 3 Michigan Law Journal 78
- New York Law Book News (1926)
- Legal Literature (1899 to 1911) London, 22 issues
- Law Book News (October 1888 to November 1890) Philadelphia, 4 issues
Works containing discussion of the contents, merits, etc., of some or all of the publications they list
- Marvin's Legal Bibliography. 1847.
- Jelf. Where to Find Your Law.
- English Legal History. Duke University.
- Article and Book Bibliography. Boston University.
- Glanville williams. Learning the Law.
- Julius J Marke. A Catalogue of the Law Collection at New York University. New York University. 1953. Lawbook Exchange. 1999 reprint. (Google Books)
- Practitioners Law Library 1978: Books for the Professions: Sweet & Maxwell Stevens. Published by Taylor & Francis. (Google Books).
- Szladits' Bibliography on Foreign and Comparative Law.
- Raistrick, Donald. Lawyers' Law Books: A Practical Index to Legal Literature. Third Edition. Bowker-Saur. 1997.
- William Donald Hines (editor). English Legal History: A Bibliography and Guide to the Literature. Volume 1011 of Garland Reference Library of the Humanities. Garland Publishing Inc. 1990. ISBN 0 8240 4299 9.
- Leslie F Maxwell et al. A Legal Bibliography of the British Commonwealth of Nations. Second Edition. Sweet & Mawxwell. Vols 1 - 6. London. 1955 - 1958. Sweet & Maxwell's Legal Bibliography. First Edition. 7 vols. London. 1925 - 1949.
- O Hood Phillips. A First Book of English Law. Fourth Edition. Sweet & Maxwell. 1960. Part II and particularly Chapters 9, 12 and 14.
- Appendix III to "How to do Things with Rules" (3 ed) by Twining and Miers
- "Further Reading" - Colin Turpin. British Government and the Constitution (2 ed). Weidenfeld and Nicolson. London. 1990. pp 572 - 575.
Catalogues, etc., which do not provide commentary on the publications they list
See w:List of encyclopedias by branch of knowledge#Law and w:Category:Encyclopedias of law. General encyclopedias may be relevant; see w:List of encyclopedias.
- Norton-Kyshe. The Dictionary of Legal Quotations. 1904.
- McNamara. Ragbag of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- Cook. A Treasury of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- James and Stebbings. A Dictionary of Legal Quotations. Review: 
- Shapiro. The Oxford Dictionary of American Legal Quotations. Reviews:  
- The Law Times
- The Law Journal
- The Law Magazine
- The Law Review
- The Jurist
- The Legal Observer
- The Solicitor: A Journal for Solicitors and their Managing Clerks (Pitman, 1934 to 1961) also called "The Solicitor: A Monthly Journal for . . . "  
- The Solicitor Quarterly (Pitman, 1962 to 1965) 
- Law Notes (from 1882 onwards). Formerly 'Gibson's Law Notes'.
- King's Counsel (King's College London, 1936 to 1989) v33
- The Bell Yard: The Journal of the Law Society's School of Law (Solicitors' Law Stationery Society, 1927 to 1939)  . Reviews etc, see: (1928) 72 SJ 473; 47 Law Notes 28 and 61; (1930) 169 Law Times 195; (1931) 172 Law Times 470; (1928) 65 Law Journal 9
- The Law Coach (1920 to 1928) 
- Law Students Journal (from 1878 onwards)
- Law Examination Journal 
- Council of Legal Education, "Calendar" (1901 onwards) 1950-1
- Pump Court: The Temple Newspaper and Review (1883 to 1891) 
- Graya: A Magazine for Members of Gray's Inn (1927 onwards) . Review: (1928) 72 SJ 777 (17 Nov)
- Innerview (Newsletter of the Inner Temple)
- Inner Temple Library Newsletter
- The Middle Templar (Middle Templar Magazine) (Middle Temple)
- Municipal Corporations Circular (from 1878 onwards)
- Local Government Chronicle (1855 onwards)
- Mitchell's Maritime Register (1856-1883)
- Maritime Notes and Queries (1873-1900)  
- Law Chronicle and Auction Register (1813-1837)
- Legal Practitioner (1846-1851) 
- Legal Year Book (1849-1851) See 35 Leg Obs 138 and 339
- Legal News (1878-1897)
- South African Law Journal (vols 1 to 17 from 1885 to 1900 are called 'Cape Law Journal')
- Union Law Review (1910 to 1911) v1 v2
- Natal Law Quarterly (1902 to 1907) v2
- Queensland Justice of the Peace (1907 onwards)  
- Queensland Law Reporter (1908 onwards) 
- Australian Law Times and Notes of Cases (1879-1928)
- Commonwealth Law Review (1903 to 1909) 
- Victorian Law Times and Legal Observer (1856)
Sources of law
Collections of statutes; tables and idexes
- Revised edition of the statutes
- The "Alphabetical Table of Statutes" (from 1707 onwards) in certain volumes of Current Law Statutes
- The Statutes of the Realm
- Statutes at Large 
- The Public General Acts and Measures
- The Law Reports - Public General Statutes
- Halsbury's Statutory Instruments
- Statutory Rules and Orders Revised. 1889.
- Statutory Rules and Orders Revised. Second Edition. 1903.
- The Statutory Rules and Orders and Statutory Instruments Revised. Third Edition. Revised to 1948.
- Table of Government Orders
- Index to Government Orders
- Blackstone's Statutes (formerly Blackstone's Statute Books)
- Routledge Student Statutes
- Butterworth's Handbooks
- Butterworth's Twentieth Century Statutes (continuation of Butterworth's Statutes) - 30 LQR 248
- Chitty's Statutes of Practical Utility - 30 LQR 118
- Keen, Local Legislation, 1913 - 30 LQR 514
Many law books contain a table of statutes referred to in the volume.
Google Books and Internet Archive
- Archive.org 
- 1870, 1872, 1874, 1877, PGS 1881, PGA 1881, 1882, 1884, 1892, 1896, 1902, 1904, 1906
- Bennion. Statute Law.
- Bennion. Statutory Interpretation.
- Miers and Page. Legislation.
- Craies on Statute Law. 1911. (formerly Hardcastle on Statutory Law). 1892. Now Craies on Legislation.
- Maxwell on Statutes
- Cross on Statutory Interpretation
- The Law Commission. The Interpretation of Statutes. Law Com 21. 1969.
- Ilbert. Legislative Methods and Forms. Oxford. 1901.
- Evans. Statutory Interpretation.
- Dale. Legislative Drafting: A New Approach.
Citators, digests, lists of cases
- Current Law Citator
- The Digest (formerly the English and Empire Digest)
- Mew's Digest
Many law books contain a table of cases referred to in the volume.
Series of treatises:
- The Common Law Library. Sweet & Maxwell
- McCrudden, Stevens and Twining (eds). Law in Context. Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
- Practical Text Series. Northumbria Law Press.
- Archbold Criminal Pleading, Evidence and Practice
- Stone's Justices' Manual
- Blackstone's Criminal Practice
- Archbold Magistrates' Courts
- Blackstone's Magistrates' Courts
- Russell on Crime
- Burns. Justice of the Peace.
- Smith and Hogan's Criminal Law (now by Ormerod)
- Card, Cross and Jones: Criminal Law
Offences against the person
- Fourteenth Report of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
Offences against property
- Eighth and Thirteenth Reports of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
- Griew, The Theft Acts 1968 and 1978
- Fifthteenth Report of the Criminal Law Revision Committee
- Rook and Ward on Sexual Offences
- James Joseph Casey. The Justices' Manual, with the Justices Statute and Notes thereon. Charles F Maxwell. Melbourne. 1872. "Review" (1872) 3 Australian Jurist lix (3 December, No 16)
- Clerk and Lindsell on Torts. 12th Ed: 1961  , 14th Ed: 1975, 17th Ed:1995, 2nd Supp 1998, 22nd Ed
- Winfield and Jolowicz on Tort
- Salmond and Heuston on the Law of Torts
- Street on Torts
- Pollock on Torts
- Williams and Hepple. Foundations of the Law of Tort
- Prosser. Law of Torts
- Furmston. The Law of Tort
- Fleming. The Law of Torts
- Dias and Markesinis. Tort Law
- Jones. Textbook on Torts
- Blackburn and George. Elements of the Law of Torts. 1944
- Addison on Torts. 6th Ed, 1891. 5th Ed, 1879. 2nd Ed, Abridged, 1872. American editions: Dudley and Baylies, 1876; Wood, 1876
- Underhill's Law of Torts. 16th Ed, 1949; 3rd Ed, 1881
- Cooley. A Treatise on the Law of Torts. 4th Ed, 1932. 1879.
- Burdick. The Law of Torts. 1st Ed: 1905, 2nd: 1908, 3rd Ed: 1913, 4th Ed: 1926
- Ringwood's Outlines of the Law of Torts. 2nd Ed: 1894, 3rd Ed: 1898, 4th Ed: 1906, 5th Ed: 1926
- Bohlen. Studies in the Law of Torts. 1926
- Bigelow.The Law of Torts. 1882. 8th Ed, Boston, 1907. 2nd Ed, Cambridge, 1903
- Hilliard. The Law of Torts. 2nd Ed, 1873. 1859. 1861
- Weir. A Casebook on Tort
- Hepple and Matthews. Tort: Cases and Materials
- Ball. Leading Cases on the Law of Torts. Stevens. 1884. Review: 1 LQR 121
- Bigelow. Leading Cases on the Law of Torts. 1875
- Selected Essays on the Law of Torts. 1924
- Hilliard. The Law of Remedies for Torts. 4th Ed, 1874
- Eldredge. Modern Tort Problems
- Linden. Canadian Tort Law
- Mitchell. A History of Tort Law 1900-1950. CUP. 2015. 
- Lunney. A History of Australian Tort Law 1901-1945. CUP. 2018. 
- Collett. A Manual of the Law of Torts, and of the Measure of Damages. 6th Ed, 1886. 3rd Ed, 1872
- Burrows. Remedies for Torts and Breach of Contract
- Blackstone's Statutes on Tort, Contract and Restitution
- Tort Law Review (Law Book Company, Sydney, 1993 onwards) Tort L Rev. Review: (1993) Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly 579
- Torts Law Journal (Butterworth, Sydney, 1993 onwards) Review: see preceding item
- Journal of Tort Law (Berkeley Electronic Press, USA, 2006 onwards)
- Tort and Insurance Law Journal (vols 21 to 37, 1985 to 2002); became Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal (vols 38 to 51, 2002 to 2016); formerly The Forum (began 1965). American Bar Association
- Gatley on Libel and Slander
- Carter-Ruck on Libel
- Odgers on Libel and Slander
- Snell's Principles of Equity
- De Smith's Judicial Review of Administrative Action
- Fordham's Handbook of Judicial Review
- Megarry and Wade. The Law of Real Property
- Sarah Cockburn. Questions and Answers on Land Law. 1968
- The Conveyancer (1915 to 1936) 
- The Conveyancer and Property Lawyer (1936 onwards)
- McNair. Legal Effects of War
- Baty and Morgan. War: Its Conduct and Legal Results
- Webber, George Julius. The Effect of War on Contracts. 2nd Ed. Solicitors Law Stationery Society. 1946.
- Campbell, Henry. Law of War and Contract. H Mifford, Oxford University Press. 1918
- Coleman Phillipson. Effect of War on Contracts. Stevens. London. 1909
- McKinnon LJ, Frank Douglas. Effect of War on Contract. Clarendon Press, Oxford. 1917
- Prafula Chandra Ghosh. The Effects of War on Contracts. University of Calcutta. 1920
- Report of the Pre-War Contracts Committee (Cd 8975) (1918) (Buckmaster Committee)
- Jan Ramberg. Cancellation of Contracts of Affreightment: On Account of War and Similar Circumstances. Akademifearlaget. 1969
- Report of the Committee on Liability for War Damage to the Subject-matter of Contracts (Cmd 6100) (1939)
- Spaight. War Rights on Land
- Gregory, Charles Noble, "Effect of War upon the Operation of Statutes of Limitation", International Law Association's Reports for 1913-1914 and 1914-1915
- Garner. International Law and the World War
- Krusin and Rogers. Solicitors Hand-Book of War Legislation
- Scobell Armstrong. War and Treaty Legislation, 1914-1922. 2nd Ed. 1922
- Baty, 31 LQR 1915
- Edward Stanley Roscoe. A History of the English Prize Court. 1924. 
- Inns of Court School of Law. Drafting. Fifth Edition. Blackstone Press. 2000. ISBN 1841740624.
- Inns of Court School of Law. Opinion Writing. Fifth Edition. Blackstone Press. 2000. ISBN 1841740632.
Legal biography See w:Legal biography
- Debretts' House of Commons and Judicial Bench
- Men at the Bar
- Lives of Eminent Serjeants-at-law of the English Bar, 1869, vols 1 and 2. Contains biographies of 58 serjeants-at-law. Google Books:
- Other biographical sources for lawyers. The Inner Temple
- Baker. An Introduction to English Legal History
- Maitland. The Constitutional History of England
- The Oxford History of the Laws of England
- William Searle Holdsworth. A History of English Law
- Fifoot. Law and History in the Nineteenth Century. 1956
- Fifoot. Judge and Jurist in the Reign of Victoria. 1959
Some earlier works
- Deans. The Student's Legal History. 3rd Ed: 1913  , 4th Ed: 1921  
- White. Outlines of Legal History. 1895  
- Carter. Outlines of English Legal History. 1899  
- Maitland and Montague. A Sketch of English Legal History. 1915 
- Finlason. Reeves' History of the English Law. 1880 Vol 1:   Vol 2 Vol 3 Vol 4 Vol 5:  
- Ames. Lectures on Legal History and Miscellaneous Legal Essays. 1913 
- Vinogradoff (ed). Essays in Legal History read before the International Congress of Historical Studies held in London in 1913. 1913 
- Oxford Studies in Social and Legal History. Vol 1 (1909) vol 4 (1914)
- Law and Lawyers; or, Sketches and Illustrations of Legal History and Biography. 1840 vol 1 vol 2
- Popular Law Library. 1908. Vol 1, second subject ("legal history")
- Carter. A History of English Legal Institutions. 1902. 
- Walker. A Legal History of Scotland
- Simpson and Wilson. Scottish Legal History
- Kiralfy and MacQueen. New Perspectives in Scottish Legal History
- Reid and Zimmerman. A History of Private Law in Scotland
- Finlay. Legal Practice in Eighteenth Century Scotland
Europe and continental law
- The Oxford Handbook of European Legal History
- Continental Legal History Series. Published under the auspices of the Association of American Law Schools. vol 1 (1912)
- Robert Maugham. A Supplement to the Digest of Examination Questions in Common Law, Conveyancing, Equity, Bankruptcy and Criminal Law from Hil Term 1848 to Hil Term 1851. Maxwell. 1851.
- Henry Newbolt Roberts. Examination Questions and Answers on Criminal Law.
- Bar Examination Papers, Questions and Answers (1901 to 1914) 
- Bar Examination Journal (1871-1892)