Introduction and Goals[edit | edit source]
This project is aimed at collecting factual information to support further research regarding the development and construction of the Egyptian pyramids. It will include topics on Hieroglyphs, sculptures, bas-reliefs and other interrelated artifacts. Preliminary discussions identified some topics that required further research required to put any theory on solid footing. This is our attempt to gather and organize data for possible later use.
Specific Topics[edit | edit source]
- Timeline for development of pyramids and pyramid like structures – research indicates that before the great pyramids were built in Giza and even before the step pyramids of Saqqara were constructed, mound-like structures were constructed in Abydos. This timeline is an attempt to gain insight in the development of these fascinating structures.
- Djoser's Step Pyramid in Saqqara – description of the pyramid and surrounding complex.
- Old Kingdom Monuments Organized by Ruler – besides the pyramids it's interesting to see the number, type and geographical location of monuments throughout the old kingdom.
- Early Dynastic Monuments The Old Kingdom usually starts with the fourth dynasty. The monuments from the very early dynastic period are similarly interesting. This page goves an overview of known monuments (mainly from Saqqara and Abydos)
- Development of hieroglyphic writing – the discovery of early writing on labels in a pre-dynastic tomb in Hierakonpolis pushed back the development of Egyptian writing by many years. By comparing the oldest known writing with later versions, can we make any conjectures about the development and meaning of the hieroglyphs?
- Miscellaneous Topics and their development – there are many secondary topics that may provide insight to the meanings behind Architectural Form. Here those topics can be examined. E.g. boatpits/burials, obelisks, statues, etc.
References and Sources[edit | edit source]
There are many books and articles covering the history of Ancient Egypt. This is not ment to be a complete bibliography, but merely a list of some of the most common books and articles we used in compiling the information on these pages.
Pyramids[edit | edit source]
- Mark Lehner, The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries, 1997, Thames and Hudson, ISBN 0-500-05084-8
- David O’Connor, Boat graves and pyramid origins: New discoveries at Abydos, Egypt, 1991, Expedition, Vol 3, nr 33, pg 5-17
- Miroslav Verner, The Pyramids: The Mystery, Culture, and Science of Egypt's Great Monuments, 1997, Grove Press., ISBN 0-8021-3935-3
- List of pyramids from Waseda University
Hieroglyphics[edit | edit source]
- Collier and Manley, How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphics, 1998, University of California Press, ISBN 0-520-23949-0
- Richard H. Wilkinson, Reading Egyptian Art: A Hieroglyphic Guide to Ancient Egyptian Painting and Sculpture, 1992, Thames and Hudson, ISBN 0-500-27751-6
Other[edit | edit source]
- Aidan Dodson and Dyan Hilton, The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt: A Genealogical Sourcebook of the Pharaohs, 2004, Thames & Hudson, ISBN 0-500-05128-3
- Corinna Rossi, Architecture and Mathematics in Ancient Egypt, 2004, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-82954-2
- Richard H. Wilkinson, The Complete Temples of Ancient Egypt, 2000, Thames & Hudson, ISBN 0-500-05100-3