This page is an historical archive of the original Wikiversity page from Wikibooks. Do not edit this page.
Wikiversity is a center for the creation and use of free learning materials and activities.
- What is Wikiversity?
- Welcome to Wikiversity!
- Wikiversity Schools
- Registering as a Wikiversity participant Optional, Anonymous participation is currently allowed and often beneficial.
- Draft Policy Discussions. If it interests you, please come help us better organize Wikiversity.
- Other languages
Our current primary priorities and goals are:
- Create and host a range of free learning resources for educational processes, for all age groups in all languages
- Form projects to interface with, (ie develop) existing Wikimedia projects (eg. finding sources project for Wikipedia)
- Host and foster research based in part on existing resources in Wikiversity and other Wikimedia projects (such as Wikibooks, Wikisource etc.)
- Other tasks and goals are initiated and pursued as articulated by participants according to personal priorities and self managed efforts
Some Ideas for Effective Initial Participation
- Add or tweak some notes at a course portal. History now seeking students!b:Wikiversity:School_of_History
- Tweak a random textb:Special:Random for readability.
- Create an interesting topic portal.
- Wikiversity:Create a Random Lesson Plan
- Assemble an initial list of links useful to others interested in the topic.
- Add an outline bullet
- Add a factual paragraph or bullet to an article or its associated discussion page.
- Publish an essay question and answer or a term paper at an appropriate location.
- Write a draft quiz at an regarding a random Wikipedia articlew:Special:Random or other subject of interest and publish it at an appropriate link in a learning trail.
- Take a quiz at Wikiversity:available quiz list. Grade yourself or others, if you dare. 8)
- Publish your course notes, lesson plans, topical essays, or reference works for others to review, modify or fork.
- Come discuss how to improve Wikiversity at our current mailing list.
Please ask a question
Ask a question or state a desire for a learning resource by inserting a paragraph here: I Want to Know. If you feel like lending a hand after inserting your request, please peruse the other participants requests and add information, comments or clarifying questions boldly.
Find a course
About the Wikiversity
Wikiversity is a wiki-based learning community. Here you can use online courses and also create courses yourself. See this page for some ideas about what the Wikiversity might become. Also, see more of how Wikiversity supports learning.
Discussing the Wikiversity
For previous discussions see the Meta page on Wikiversity. Since there is now a formal proposal to set up Wikiversity as a new Wikimedia project, try to keep discussions of Wikiversity's scope and goals centralized at Meta. In the future we might utilize a #wikiversity IRC channel as well. If you're interested, you could add your name to the participants list, and see who else is involved.
Wikiversity Core Courses
One way of moving Wikiversity forward is to create a set of core service courses that will meet the needs of existing Wikimedia projects. Since Wikibooks does not want to host Wikiversity, the Wikiversity Core Courses are being developed at the education wikicity. Hopefully, there will be an actual Wikiversity project with its own domain name in the near future.
Experimental Learning Processes
Join or create a debate and/or summarize its salient features at http://wikireason.net/wiki/Forum_Entrance. Please note this is an external site with its own community, social norms, and legal requirements. Please be prudent and wise in paraphrasing, citing, and archival of results locally. Content license requirements may conflict occasionally. Alternatively, methods learned there may be useful within the context of some local learning process or free materials development.
Wikiversity's sister projects
Dictionary and thesaurus
Collection of quotations
Directory of species
Free textbooks and manuals
Shared media repository
Wikimedia project coordination