The idea is quite simple: people use their PC to come to Wikiversity. Why don't we give them the possibility to make more with their pc when they are not active there ? With this screen saver they can also make advertisement for us. Imagine ... the screen saver running in schools, universities, or anywhere else. This increases awareness.
The following is just a prototype to show you what it is about:
it has background pictures and the RSS feed to the recent changes in the middle, which you can scroll down or up and on the right it shows the according xml/html changes.
here is the
- prototype 0.04en (please read the _info_en.txt; so far it is only available for Windows)
- video preview (avi file - 1152x864 - compressed with xvid mpeg-4) and
used tool: Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition Starter Kit: Screen Saver
improve it ![edit source]
As said this is just a prototype to illustrate the idea. Please continue the spark, let's make some big fire :-)
Other completely different screen savers are possible, e.g.
- other/several background images
- dynamic objects
- without RSS feed - when being offline
- other operating systems ?
Do you have comments, ideas, problems ?