In most cases, new custodians go through a "mentorship" process, where an experienced custodian helps a prospective custodian learn the ropes as a probationary custodian, and then provides the community with a recommendation.
This is a program within Wikiversity:Mentors.
All going well
- A mentorship relationship is established.
- The mentor makes a request to a bureaucrat (or if he/she is one, just promote).
- Mentored has three months to learn the tools and show him/herself to be appropriate for custodianship.
- Mentor recommends the mentored for full custodianship, community votes.
Not so well
- Mentor is responsible for the mentored, and should immediately go to the stewards if sysop tools are being misused.
- If at any point in the probationary period the mentor decides that he is or will be unwilling to recommend, the mentored has 48 hours to find a new mentor, otherwise the tools will be removed by the stewards on the mentor's request.
- If the mentor is unexpectedly unavailable or the mentored wishes to have a different mentor (for any reason whatsoever), mentorship can be transferred to another willing mentor for the remainder of the probationary period.
- If at the end of the probationary period the mentor decides not to recommend the mentored for full custodianship, the mentored may either initiate a self-nomination, or find another mentor (any additional probationary period to be decided in conversation with the new mentor).
The following skills are mastered and demonstrated at some point during the probationary period:
- Monitor Wikiversity:Request custodian action and Wikiversity:Notices for custodians
- Welcome new users
- Respond to Colloquium questions and requests
- Review the Template:Administering Wikiversity resource list
- Move a page without redirect
- Move a page with subpages
- Move a page with delete
- Delete a page
- Undelete a page
- Merge page history
- Hide revisions
- Monitor Wikiversity:Import and import content from a sister project
- Monitor the AbuseLog and create or update an abuse filter
- Review one or more Maintenance reports and make appropriate corrections
- Edit one or more pages in the MediaWiki namespace
- Block a user or IP address and monitor Category:Requests for unblock
- Work with other custodians to effectively support Wikiversity