Jump to navigation Jump to search
This lesson introduces web foundations.
Objectives and Skills
Objectives and skills for this lesson include:
- Understand fundamental web development concepts vocabulary.
- Review Wikipedia: List of most popular websites. Examine the top 10 or top 20 sites. What do these sites have in common in terms of design? Are the layouts similar? How is navigation implemented? What colors are standard? Are there design features unique to the focus of each organization?
- Search the Internet for top 10 web designs. How do these designs differ from the most popular website designs? Why might they be different? Consider performance, compatibility across devices, audience, etc.
- Review the most recent Stack Overflow: Annual Developer Survey. What programming languages are most popular? What frameworks are most popular? What databases are most popular?
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- cloud computing
- Document Type Definition (DTD)
- Extensible Markup Language (XML)
- Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)
- markup language
- Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME)
- Request for Comments (RFC)
- search engine optimization (SEO)
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML)
- Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- user agent
- Web 2.0
- Web feed