Teaching EFL Listening via FUN WITH ENGLISH Books/Introductory Lesson
|Date:||Lesson Length (Min):||Location:||Textbook:||Chapter #:||Lesson #:||Topic:||Number of Students:||Document Version:|
|7 Sep 2010||45||English Salon||None||N/A||1||Student & teacher introductions.||25+||2.0|
My first week at this positon started on Wednesday, September 1st 2009. Until that Friday I was basically doing version 0.1 (based this lesson largely off lessons I gave in Japan the year prior) of this plan to 50-ish students in their own classrooms. After that my colleague Mr. Brown arrived and I taught version 2.0 to 25+ kids in the English Salon. Overall they went OK, nobody got killed, but I ran my first class of second semester quite differently. I'd recommend basing your first lesson off the latter, not this. I was too much of a friend here, by round two I introduced myself as their teacher.
Learning Outcome: Students and teacher will learn one another's names, and get to know each other.
- Introduce Myself
- 4 Minutes
- Name, country, home city, favorite foods and sports.
- Check to see if they understand.
- Have students make a line. 
- 5 Minutes
- Tell students they have to line up by birthday, and that they can only speak in English.
- Name and Pictures
- 10 Minutes
- Tell students to come forward, shake hands with me and tell me their English and Chinese names.
- I will then take a picture and they have to write their names down, along with their favorite food.
- Afterwards, students have to fill in the desks accordingly, not where they were sitting before.
- Students Interview One Another 
- 20 Minutes
- Students will interview one another to introduce their partner to the class.
- Name? Favorite Food? Least Favorite Food? Hobby? Dream? Why do you want to study English? Fear?
- Pick 3 questions, based on their level.
- Ask if Students Have Any Questions for Me
- 5 Minutes
- If they don't move on.
- 2 Truths, 1 Lie 
- 15 Minutes
- Ask if they know what a lie is?
- Explain that we are going to play a game where they will write down 2 truths & 1 lie.
- My favorite food is ...
- My dream job is ...
- I am afraid of ...
- My favorite music is ...
- My favorite subject is ...
- 5 Minutes
Idea for negotiation rules with the kids came from my boss at East Meets West China at our 2009 Orientation Meeting in Shanghai.
|Version:||Date & Time:||Published @:||Document Type:||License:||Details:|
|2.0||15 Feb 2011||Wikiversity||Mediawiki||CCASA||Discovered a Version 2.0 of the lesson on 7 Sep 2009 of my first notebook.|
|0.22||14 Feb 2011||Wikiversity||Mediawiki||CCASA||Tried to finalize the formatting on this plan that I'll then use on all of them.|
|0.21||5 Feb 2011||Wikiversity||Mediawiki||CCASA||Added some formatting on a friend's comp.|
|0.2||4 Feb 2011||Wikiversity||Mediawiki||CCASA||What you are now reading, made the original Mediawiki friendly.|
|0.1||Mr. Danoff's Teaching Laboratory||Text File||Public Domain|