Talk:University of Canberra/RCC2012
Who can help organise and run the 2012 RCC at UC?[edit source]
- Leighblackall (things are a bit up in the air with me now, so I'll be a bit more unreliable than usual this time, sorry)
- Chriswaterguy - happy to be an "unorganiser" in some way, but don't want to take responsibility for logistics or time management. 09:34, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
- User:Steven Zhang Happy to chip in as much as possible. Steven Zhang 07:45, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- Anne Frazer w:en:User:Victorbyron
Nominated dates[edit source]
20,21,22 January 2012
Venues, including after hours, food, excursions etc[edit source]
The yummy chicken place we used last year has closed shop, but is still catering and can deliver. Contact Lucy on 0434056833 Leighblackall 12:09, 3 December 2011 (UTC)
Wifi was very difficult for most participants in 2011, and many couldn't connect to the service offered. Can this be improved?
Or should participants preferably have a Telstra 3G connection if they want internet? (Note that Vodafone coverage is poor at UC.) --Chriswaterguy 09:43, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
- We have assurances that the WiFi will be sorted this time.. but I'd bring a 3G connection for back up. Signal should be better also. Leighblackall 12:06, 3 December 2011 (UTC)
Sponsorship and money[edit source]
- Need $2000 for catering (Hopefully UC)
- Need $10000 for travel grants (Likely WMAu)
- Venue is provided by UC at the http://inspire.edu.au
Getting the word out[edit source]
Ideas for potential attendees, especially from Australia. Who's missing?
Please add to that page and note if you've made contact already.
Also, please share on FB, G+, Twitter, etc - and ask relevant people if they've heard about it.
All three days[edit source]
Two days[edit source]
One day[edit source]
Keep me informed by email[edit source]
leighblackall AT gmail DOT com
Sessions Ideas[edit source]
- Wikis in government - internal & public. --Chriswaterguy
- Community building --Chriswaterguy
- Using wikis in research and publication Leighblackall 00:59, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
- Leigh, have you heard about openmedicine. They are planning to use wikis for publishing and updating systematic reviews. Conducted a pilot project a few years ago, see http://www.openmedicine.ca/issue/view/12 Juttavd 21:55, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- Spam-fighting. (Including: Can we allow anonymous edits and still keep out the latest spambots?) --Chriswaterguy 12:52, 7 December 2011 (UTC)
- Wikimedia editor retention, addressing issues that drive away editors and ways we can tackle those issues. Steven Zhang 21:32, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
This is the bit that's like a regular wiki talk page.
Date confirmation?[edit source]
Will the date be decided soon?
Or, if not, it would be good to know if it's at least narrowed down to definitely
Jan 25, 26 or 27 - that would be enough to start arranging my travel plans for Canberra.
Thanks - looking forward to it! --Chriswaterguy 10:28, 18 November 2011 (UTC)
- Looks like it's confirmed as 20-22 Jan. I'd forgotten it was a three-day event - the time flew. Looking forward to it! --Chriswaterguy 04:50, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
- Is it really a three day event? I went to a one day event in 2010 and ran out of time. But is there enough talk for a three day event? Friday, Saturday Sunday. Graeme Bartlett 12:06, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Graeme, the 2011 one was 3 days and it was easily filled. That said, we don't seem to be getting a big response for the 2012 one so far, (we still haven't promoted it!) so maybe you're right. I am too busy up until early Jan to do much promoting.. so hopefully others can step in there. Leighblackall 04:41, 12 December 2011 (UTC)
Accommodation and travel[edit source]
So, where are y'all staying? Might be good if we find somewhere close by. If enough of us stay together, we should be able to hire a minivan or something. Ideas? Steven Zhang 21:37, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- Last time, I stayed at the Belconnen Premier Inn, but I was the only one. Every morning I walked over to the university via the lake (ca. 20 minutes). It was a nice little exercise considering that we spent the majority of the day inside… This year, I would also prefer to stay where other attendees are staying. Can’t remember where John and Adam stayed last time and if it was nice, but I think it was somewhere in the city. Juttavd 21:38, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
- Adam and I stayed at Mantra on Northbourne last time. Not sure about accom plans this time, but I'll short have sorted it out tomorrow. John Vandenberg 04:42, 5 January 2012 (UTC)
- I'll be staying with friends in Belconnen. John Vandenberg 13:34, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
I've found a real gem. I've done some calls and calculations and think I've found a reasonable way we can make this work and be convenient, cheap, and comfortable for all of us.
I called the Canberra Motor village, they have cabins that can accommodate up to 6 people. This particular cabin looks like the best one. At the moment, its approx $170 a night for the cabin, which is just under $30 a head. It's also close to the university, at just over 4kms away. It seems rather comfortable as well, and has the added benefit of included internet and cooking facilities.
It would also allow us to collaborate more after hours (after the conference). I think it's ideal. We should book ASAP. The more of us that are there, the easier it would be to get to and from the city. There are currently 6 Rosella cabins available, (so we can accommodate 36) and 12 of the Wattleglen cabins, also accommodating six, so we can accommodate up to 120 people there. That said I'd be overjoyed if that many attended, but at least we know there is the room for it if needed. Steven Zhang 07:28, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- A few of us have been discussing booking accommodation at ^, but due to how funding works have been discussing how to do it. Myself, foks, Sonia and her dad will be staying at the above place, and because it's complex to reimburse individualy (because its one price for 6) I'm happy to pay for accommodation and be reimbursed by WM-AU, but thought it would be appropriate to get the agreement of foks and sonia here as well. Others are welcome to add themselves to the list, the cabin can fit 6 and there's still space for 2 (and 19 other free cabins) Steven Zhang 07:03, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Just to be clear, I didn't ask for funding for my dad: he's just tagging along to get out of Auckland for a bit. A car is also being rented which will take the four of us from Canberra airport to the cabin place late Thursday; if no one has much luggage we can fit another person in there. Sonia 07:10, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, but the cabin is $169 a night whether one or six stay there. Car hire (which we'd split individually) is $180 for Thurs-Mon, so in theory adding another person would reduce the distributed costs. Steven Zhang 07:14, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- I like this idea as I have already pointed out over IRC. I've emailed Craig and Anne to discuss funding options. Jfox 09:34, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
There are a few Canberrians who arnt attending, possibly because they dont have a lot of time over this weekend. Maybe we should organise a meetup on Friday or Saturday after the RCC..? We have at least two international attendees, and quite a few interstate attendees, so it would be good to provide an opportunity for the other Canberrians to meetup everyone. John Vandenberg 13:25, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
- Seems like a good idea, if the people in question would be free on an evening. Sonia 02:41, 12 January 2012 (UTC)
- Note there is also a Pre-camp dinner, Thursday 19 Jan, in Dickson. --Chriswaterguy 03:34, 16 January 2012 (UTC)
Late Attendees[edit source]
If people 'turn up' Friday night or Saturday morning, is there any overnight accommodation (ie the 'cabins') still available? - 188.8.131.52 02:11, 20 January 2012 (UTC)