Sustainable Development Goals/SDG5
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Providing women and girls with equal access to education, health care, decent work, and representation in political and economic decision-making processes will fuel sustainable economies and benefit societies and humanity at large
- While a record 143 countries guaranteed equality between men and women in their Constitutions by 2014, another 52 had not taken this step. In many nations, gender discrimination is still woven through legal and social norms
- Though goal 5 is the gender equality stand-alone goal, the SDG's can only be successful if women are completely integrated into each and every goal
- Eliminating violence such as trafficking and sexual exploitation and abolishing harmful traditional practices against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation.
- Adopting and strengthening sound policies and enforceable legislation for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls at all levels.
- putting a stop to all forms of discrimination against all women and girls globally.
- Compulsory completion of secondary education for the girl child
- Implementation and accessibility of the Sexual and Reproductive health Rights to women and girls globally
- Aiding women and girls empowerment through technology
- Listen to girls: SDGs can deliver transformative change for girls only if they have been consulted and their priorities and needs have been taken into account. Girls should be viewed as agents of change and not as beneficiaries – therefore their engagement in the implementation of the SDGs is crucial. For this we need to recognise the leadership potential of girls. We have witnessed firsthand the massive contributions that girls and young women as volunteers delivered for MDGs 
References[edit | edit source]
- UN-Guidelines for Use of SDG logo and the 17 SDG icons (2019/05/10) - https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/news/communications-material/
- "Goal 5: Gender equality". UNDP. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Sustainable Development Goal 5: Gender equality". UN Women. UN Women. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Goal 05. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls – Indicators and a Monitoring Framework". indicators.report. indicators.report. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- Leach, Anna (2 June 2015). "21 ways the SDGs can have the best impact on girls". The Guardian. The Guardian. Retrieved 5 August 2017.