Survey design/Workshop/Instructor notes
Orientation Week, Wed 9:30-12:30
Pt 1 - Survey research
Pt 2 - Survey design
Pt 3 - Survey critique
Orientation Week, Tuesday 10:00 - 15:00
These notes provide a rough outline of how the f2f workshop was structured and delivered in 2011.
This was the third time Jtneill had provided the workshop. Participants were typically international and domestic PhD students from a wide variety of fields, including Business and Government and Health and Medical Sciences. Students were generally in the early stages of developing PhD proposals or in the process of ethics applications, survey design and data collection.
There were 20 enrolments (full) with about 12 shows before lunch and about 7 shows after lunch (in part due to a competing session about how to complete an ethics application - this clash should be avoided if possible). In future, the class could be over-enrolled e.g., to 30 to help accommodate more students. The room has 23 computers, but could accommodate even up to 30.
Some slides were culled and reorganised for 2011 (e.g., to include levels of measurement earlier - good). But more should be culled - basically all slides after the lunch break are unnecessary for the workshop.
A single-page handout with the workshop name, instructor contact details, timeline and links and logins would be useful in future.
It would also be desirable to contact all participants approximately 1 week beforehand to provide a link to the workshop website, links to recommended readings, and a request to bring along electronic or hard copies of any draft surveys.
- 10:00 - 10:30
- Have participants add name tags during introductions
- Each participant to share briefly the three things listed, but the facilitator should generally ask for some educative additional/elaborative material from each participant e.g.,
- Name, Institution
- Field, Topic, Research Question, Hypotheses
- Type of survey design
- Stage of development for survey questions
- Issues, Questions, Hopes/Goals for Workshop
- Create a whiteboard map of the room each person's name and survey topic and workshop goals.
Part 1: Survey research
- 10:30 - 11:15
- See slides
- 11:15 to 11:30
Part 2: Survey design
- 11:30 to 13:15
- See slides
- 13:15 to 14:00
- An extra 15 mins would be better
- Copy one or more draft surveys for critique from class
Part 3: Survey critique
- 14:00 to 15:00
- Distribute surveys
- 15 mins to critique
- 45 mins to discuss
Part 4: Questions/Discussion/Evaluation
- 15:00 to 15:30