In this subject you will develop the cultural literacy to work with Indigenous Australians in the health care environment. Health care practitioners are expected to demonstrate cultural responsiveness to meet the requirements of Australian Nursing Midwifery Accreditation Council. Through lectures, tutorials, and assessment activities you will learn key concepts of cultural literacy; health literacy; cultural, historical and social determinants of Indigenous health; intercultural communication strategies; ethical and professional standards for nursing practice; and service evaluation. Your learning will be assessed through online scenarios, individual written assessments and service evaluations.
Learning Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Describe what is meant by the concept cultural literacy and health literacy in relation to culturally responsive nursing practice
- Explain how Australian Indigenous health is influenced by culture, history and social determinants of health
- Critically analyse how distinct communication strategies influence intercultural encounters between professionals and patients.
- Analyse how the ethical and professional competency standards of registered nurses and midwives influence the practice of intercultural health care.
- Evaluate a service that provides Australian Indigenous health care to determine the extent to which the service delivers person centred care.
Assessment[edit | edit source]
Individual written acknowledgement of country[edit | edit source]
- intention is to use Module 1 of the Indigenous Development Action Program when it is complete (anticipated at the end of November)
Individual online Clinical Reasoning Scenario[edit | edit source]
Individual written evaluation of services[edit | edit source]
Schedule[edit | edit source]
The following schedule is designed to inform and guide your progress in the assessments. Each week contains a list of materials to study, learning activities to undertake and instructions toward completing an assessment.
Week one[edit | edit source]
ILO 1 & 2
Week two[edit | edit source]
Week three[edit | edit source]
ILO 2 determinants/ risk factors
Week four[edit | edit source]
ILO 2 health priority access to care/policy gap/rural and remote/disparities/scope of practice legislation
Week five[edit | edit source]
ILO 3 communication strategies/effective means
Week six[edit | edit source]
ILO 4 codes how affect specific care delivery
Communications[edit | edit source]
This subject development is led by Deb McDonough for La Trobe University's School of Nursing.